Painted m-65 jacket????

notinfringed

I found what appears to be an M-65 jacket in an antique store. It is painted like a bomber jacket. It is very elabrate. It has a row of what I assume would be mission bombs across the top. Then there is a great painting of a child (if my memory serves me riding a bomb). Underneath it says "johnnie come later". The Jacket is named to a Sullivan JL. The contract number I think is 8405-255-8587. My question is this. Why would a standard issue jacket be painted like a flight jacket. Was this just someone goofing around? Were there any instances in which This type of jacket would be worn by someone associated with a bomber? And finally, Is there any reason I should even consider buying it? Thanks

Levi

usmc-collector
I found what appears to be an M-65 jacket in an antique store. It is painted like a bomber jacket. It is very elabrate. It has a row of what I assume would be mission bombs across the top. Then there is a great painting of a child (if my memory serves me riding a bomb). Underneath it says "johnnie come later". The Jacket is named to a Sullivan JL. The contract number I think is 8405-255-8587. My question is this. Why would a standard issue jacket be painted like a flight jacket. Was this just someone goofing around? Were there any instances in which This type of jacket would be worn by someone associated with a bomber? And finally, Is there any reason I should even consider buying it? Thanks

Levi

As for number 8405-255-8587, it is not contract number, but FSN (Federal stock number). Based on FSN 8405-255-8587, it is M1951 jacket in size medium regular not M1965 (m-65) jacket. As for painting hard to determine, the photo would help to discuss the jacket more in detail. Not common to have filed jackets painted this way. JAROSLAV

Here is a picture of the painting.

post-2011-1197353631.jpg

Any Ideas. Also, is there a list where you can look up stock numbers? Thanks

Levi

They want $100 for it, which is a little out of my price range at the time. Mabey if it is still there come pay day. Do you think it is original, or painted at a later date? Any thoughts would be helpful.

Levi

"Painted at a later date" - who knows. Was it painted in 1952, or 1959??? The question is - Is it period. The answer is yes, and worth quite a bit more than $100.

"Painted at a later date" - who knows. Was it painted in 1952, or 1959??? The question is - Is it period. The answer is yes, and worth quite a bit more than $100.

If the jacket is in good condition then it's worth $100 as a piece of folk art even if you cannot date the time of the painting. I'm wondering if this is something that belonged to someone attached to a bomber unit in the early days of the Vietnam War - or possible it issued early enough to have been worn during the Korean War.

There might be a clue to the unit or aircraft: that kid on the bomb is supposed to represent, I'd guess, "little boy blue...come blow your horn." That's a trumpet, not a bugle.

Also I believe the phrase is "Johnny Come Lately" not "later". There was, and I am no music expert, a song popular in the early 1960s with that title and I see that Steve Earle (Copperhead Road) did a version also.

Johnny Come Lately

(Steve Earle)

I'm an American, boys, and I've come a long way

I was born and bred in the USA

So listen up close, I've get something to say

Boys, I'm buying this round

Well it took a Iittke while but we're in this fight

And we ain't going home 'til we've done what's right

We're gonna drink Camden Town dry tonight

If I have to spend my last pound

When I first got to London it was pourin' down rain

Met a Iittle girl in the field canteen

Painted her name on the nose of my plane

Six more missions I'm gene

Well I asked if I could stay and she said that I might

Then the warden came around yelling "turn out the lights"

Death rainin' out of the London night

We made love 'til dawn

But when Johnny Come Lately comes marching home

With a chest full of medals and a G.l. loan

They'll be waitin' at the station down in San Antone

When Johnny comes marching home

MY P-47 is a pretty good ship

And she took a round coming cross the Channel last trip

I was thinking 'bout my baby and letting her rip

Always got me through so far

Well they can ship me all over this great big world

But I'll never find nothing like my North End girl

I'm taking her home whh me one day, sir

Soon as we win this war

Now my granddaddy sang me this song

Told me about Londen when the Blitz was on

How he married Grandma and brought her back home

A hero throughout his land

Now I'm standing on a runway in San Diego

A couple Purple Hearts and I move a little slow

There's nobody here, maybe nobody knows

About a place called Vietnam

• 2 weeks later...

Levi

Did you end up buying the jacket?

Tim

Yes I did. I went in Last week, and the antique store was having a Christmas sale. For one day only, the store owner allowed all of the vendors to sell items in the store with no commission. So I got the jacket and A visor cap for What I thought I was going to have to pay for just the jacket. w00t.gif I posted pictures of the visor cap on another thread.

Levi