Progression of USAF Work Uniforms (Fatigues)

dag

At noontime today, several active duty Air Force folks came into the same restaurant where I was eating lunch (I live near Seymour Johnson AFB in NC). I was telling my wife how different the current work uniform (they wore uniforms like the first picture below) is from the fatigues I wore 25 years ago (my fatigue shirt in second picture). I realized I don't know when the olive green was retired and the current uniform came into use, and any styles in between. Can someone fill me in?

post-11058-1325028804.jpg

post-11058-1325029068.jpg

At noontime today, several active duty Air Force folks came into the same restaurant where I was eating lunch (I live near Seymour Johnson AFB in NC). I was telling my wife how different the current work uniform (they wore uniforms like the first picture below) is from the fatigues I wore 25 years ago (my fatigue shirt in second picture). I realized I don't know when the olive green was retired and the current uniform came into use, and any styles in between. Can someone fill me in?

post-11058-1325028804.jpg

post-11058-1325029068.jpg

There were a couple uniforms between yours and the current one (and some depend on theater of assignment). At the same time as your type fatigues were worn were the Jungle utilities if you were stationed in SEA, though the OG sateens were also worn by airmen in SEA. After that, the standard BDUs, either cotton or rip-stop, were the issue uniform and, unless you were stationed in an area authorized for Desert utility wear, the next stop would have been the current ones you have pictured.

Air Force utility uniforms timeline...

OG-107 (Olive Drab): 1952 -1989

"Type I" (1952–1963

"Type II" (1963–1964)

"Type III" (1964–1989)

Woodland (BDU): 1981–2011

Six color desert (chocolate chip pattern): 1982-1993

Three color desert (Coffee stain pattern): 1992–2011

Airman Battle Uniform )ABU): 2007- present

The USAF also wore OG-507's in the 1980's early 1990's. The mandatory wear date for the BDU (Air Force) was 10/1/1991 and the mandatory wear date for the ABU was 11/1/2011.

OG-107 (1950's to 1980's)

OG-507 (1980's to 1990's)

BDU (1980's to 2011)

ABU (2010 to present)

DBDU (1985 to 1993)

DCU (1993 to 2011)

Tropical Combat Utilities (Jungle Fatigues) in SEA and jungle areas to present day. Do not know if the USAF stopped wearing then.

Blue Utilities I believe were phased out also in 2011 but not sure.

Also the Air Force wears Multicam: deployed to Afghanistan, special operations and training.

Mark

the fatigues I wore 25 years ago...

Your fatigue shirt also has the fully embroidered subdued chevorns. I don't know when they came out (I'll say about 1982) and they were worn for at least several years, but they were one of those uniform items phased in and out in a short enough time that not everyone got around to wearing them. Example: From 1980-89 I went from A1C to Tsgt (ie. bought a lot of stripes!) and along the way never wore the fully embroidered chevrons - the twill type were always available and authorized . Sort of like the short-lived leather name tags on BDU's in the early 90's. (Never wore those either) They came and went so fast the phase-out date for cloth name tapes never happened.

Also back in the 80's there was the female fatigue uniform. Cut totally different from the men's and with smaller chevrons.

Thanks for the replies.

Air Force utility uniforms timeline...

OG-107 (Olive Drab): 1952 -1989

"Type I" (1952–1963

"Type II" (1963–1964)

"Type III" (1964–1989)

Woodland (BDU): 1981–2011

Six color desert (chocolate chip pattern): 1982-1993

Three color desert (Coffee stain pattern): 1992–2011

Airman Battle Uniform )ABU): 2007- present

So, with the uniforms listed above covering the period from my 1980's uniform until now (excluding some of the special uniforms discussed primarily dependent on theater of assignment), would this be the general progression of those uniforms (i.e. do I have the pictures right)?

I realize there was overlap of usage of the different uniforms, and some may have never worn all of these during these periods, I was just curious what the airmen at the local (stateside) Air Force base might have worn in recent years after I got out.

post-11058-1325092773.jpg

Your fatigue shirt also has the fully embroidered subdued chevorns. I don't know when they came out (I'll say about 1982) and they were worn for at least several years, but they were one of those uniform items phased in and out in a short enough time that not everyone got around to wearing them. Example: From 1980-89 I went from A1C to Tsgt (ie. bought a lot of stripes!) and along the way never wore the fully embroidered chevrons - the twill type were always available and authorized . ...

That's interesting, I guess I don't remember wearing anything other than the ones like on my leftover 1980's shirt, the fully embroidered. Maybe I haven't paid any attention, I don't recall seeing twill chevrons - I've seen twill on other patches, the AAF patch comes to mind (I picked up a few of those recently at a flea market...). Do you have any twill type you could post a picture of? I would be interested in comparing the two. I wonder if that was theater dependent too...

As a matter of interest, the follow-up volume to "Into The Blue" by forum member Lance P. Young, is meant to focus on USAF fatigue clothing 1947 > but I have no idea of the expected publication date. Maybe Schiffer Books, the publishers, could supply that?

As a matter of interest, the follow-up volume to "Into The Blue" by forum member Lance P. Young, is meant to focus on USAF fatigue clothing 1947 > but I have no idea of the expected publication date. Maybe Schiffer Books, the publishers, could supply that?

Yea. Ian we are all waiting for this to come out, it will be good.

Indeed we are Patches! However, Vol 1 was beset with delays and was published well after its original intended date. Lets hope Vol 2 doesn't suffer likewise!

Would love to have both of these, but passed on the first volume - a bit too pricey for me since I don't collect uniforms. I wonder if the second volume will contain anything about patches worn on fatigues (I do collect AF patches...)?

Indeed we are Patches! However, Vol 1 was beset with delays and was published well after its original intended date. Lets hope Vol 2 doesn't suffer likewise!

ROGER !

OG-107 (1950's to 1980's)

OG-507 (1980's to 1990's)

BDU (1980's to 2011)

ABU (2010 to present)

DBDU (1985 to 1993)

DCU (1993 to 2011)

Also the Air Force wears Multicam: deployed to Afghanistan, special operations and training.

Mark

Would you know where in that evolution the greyish color fatigues came and went?

I recall seeing a few guys issued those in BMT during 1963, and even some still worn (rarely) after Tech School at permanent party bases.

ROGER !

Actually Patches, I haven't noticed any posts by Lance P. Young on the forum for a while...nor can I recall his forum handle! However, if he is still out there he might read this thread and enlighten us?!

Actually Patches, I haven't noticed any posts by Lance P. Young on the forum for a while...nor can I recall his forum handle! However, if he is still out there he might read this thread and enlighten us?!

ROGER !

The final wear date for the USAF Fatigues was 30 Sep 91, effective 01 Oct 01, everyone had to wear BDU's. I wore my fatigues on the last day (Basic Training issued).

I started wearing BDU's right after I got to my first unit in May 86, I woulds switch back and forth between the fatigues and BDU's until about 1988 when all I wore was BDU's.

Mike

USAF Retired

The final wear date for the USAF Fatigues was 30 Sep 91, effective 01 Oct 91 everyone had to wear BDU's. I wore my fatigues on the last day (Basic Training issued).

I started wearing BDU's right after I got to my first unit in May 86, I would switch back and forth between the fatigues and BDU's until about 1988 when all I wore was BDU's.

Corrected my typo, should have read 91 not 01.

Added:

The blue ABU's ddin't last long, never got past the test-wear phase. AFSOC put out a message that we (AFSOC troops) would NOT wear them while deployed, but would continue to wear the DCU's. Big Blue was not happy with that, then the AF decided against the blue ABU's opting to go with the current ABU's that the AF wears.

I wore Fatigues (OG-507's), Woodland BDU's, Chocolate Chip DCU's, Mary Kay DCU's, ABU's, Green Flight Suits, Desert Flight Suits, and two different style blues by the time I retired, I served from 1986 - 2008.

I wore the 3 line aircrew style leather name tag on my BDU's from 1986 until 1989 when we went to the 2 line leather name tag. Wore the leather name tags until sometime in the late 90's (Around 98 or 99) when we were directed to put name and AF tapes on the BDU's.

Mike

USAF Retired

I entered the Air Force in July 1955. In December 55, while attending Air Base Defense (Air Police) School at Parks AFB CA, I purchased a set of Sage Green Fatigues in the Base Exchange. Up until this time I was wearing my issued one-piece HBT (Herring Bone Twill) coverall style fatigues.

I also ahve a Sage Green Field Jacket in my collection, a QM issue item. It is dated 21 May 1957. I do not recall when the Sage Greens were phased out, most of us purchased Army two-piece fatigues for wear.

Would you know where in that evolution the greyish color fatigues came and went?

I recall seeing a few guys issued those in BMT during 1963, and even some still worn (rarely) after Tech School at permanent party bases.

Might have been Navy troops wearing the blue uniforms, but not AF troops. Like I said the blue ABU never made it past the test/wear stage. The current AF ABU's were approved for wear around 2007 + or -.

Mike

USAF Retired

Might have been Navy troops wearing the blue uniforms, but not AF troops. Like I said the blue ABU never made it past the test/wear stage. The current AF ABU's were approved for wear around 2007 + or -.

Mike

USAF Retired

Well, now that you mention it, I only saw the two of them from the back as they were walking away.

Thanks...

• 4 years later...

Hi guys, thanks for mentioning the book. To up date you Ian, the editor and I are finishing up the last proof. I'm afraid that delays and editing [takes a lot of time, as well as writing it! I should have the completed proof of volume 3 to Ian at the end of the month, or you guessed it a little later. As Ian reminded me it is better to be good and accurate rather than fast and sloppy. This is the current thought on contents:

INTO THE BLUE VOLUME THREE

CHAPTER 1…………………………..…………………………………….…………….FATIGUES

CHAPTER 2………………………………………………………………….FATIGUE JACKETS

CHAPTER 3………………………………………………………………..TROPICAL JACKETS

CHAPTER 4.....................................................................VARIANTS (in country made, blue fatigues etc.)

CHAPTER 5............................................................COLD WEATHER

CHAPTER 6……………………………………………………………………………. FOOTWEAR

CHAPTER 7.………………………………………………………………………... HEAD GEAR

CHAPTER 8………………………………………………………….SPECIALTY HEAD GEAR (DI head gear, etc.)

CHAPTER 9……………………………………………………………………………THE HELMET

CHAPTER 10………………….………………………..…….BATTLE DRESS UNIFORMS

CHAPTER 11…………………………….………………..AIRMAN’S BATTLE UNIFORM

CHAPTER 12…………………………….…………………THE FUTURE POSSIBILITIES (Multi Cams?)

This is as of me starting writing but it has changed a bit but you get the idea of what'll be in it. We will get it out as soon as possible BUT if it takes a little bit more time to make it the best for you guys then it'll take a little more time. How about a fourth volume: USAF Field Gear? Field gear? What could the USAF need to wear field gear? Plenty of reasons and was going to be a part of volume 3 but IT GOT TOO BIG!

Get it to you soon

Thanks for all of the comments

Lance

Here's a photo of the draft to prove we're working hard on it!

post-157361-0-35604000-1455084462.jpg

Very much looking forward to volume three. As good as the first two volumes were, this volume on the work uniform will be most meaningful to me as that is what I wore 95% of the time while I was in the AF. And as I discussed at the begining of this thread, I want to learn more about the progression of the work uniform over time. Thanks for the update and the chapters list. I'm sure several of us will jump on it when this book comes out - I know I will be!!!