USMC Blanket Bag from Indianapolic Arsenal?

m1a2u2

Picked up this blanket bag and the USMC stamp does not look the like the ones I've seen in Alec's book with the period after each letter "U.S.M.C." However, it is an Indianapolis Arsenal bag, and he says in his books that all the Ordnance factories did their stamps a little differently. Also, on the bottom of the flap you can barely make out the following - "V. [?] [u?] S." Not sure what this could be. I would assume this is a 1889 blanket bag but I was hoping someone could tell me if its actually marine or if its an army fake.

Thanks for the help guys!

imageklc.th.jpg

imagere.th.jpg

imagecun.th.jpg

imageovw.th.jpg

imagejdj.th.jpg

Picked up this blanket bag and the USMC stamp does not look the like the ones I've seen in Alec's book with the period after each letter "U.S.M.C." However, it is an Indianapolis Arsenal bag, and he says in his books that all the Ordnance factories did their stamps a little differently. Also, on the bottom of the flap you can barely make out the following - "V. [?] [u?] S." Not sure what this could be. I would assume this is a 1889 blanket bag but I was hoping someone could tell me if its actually marine or if its an army fake.

Thanks for the help guys!

Is the bag marked to that Arsenal or just the straps? I only have seen Watervliet and RIA manufactured items for the Marine Corps in the earlier time periods. The marking should be at the base of the flap in the center just above the toiletries pouch. Straps were made under separate contracts and therefore may not denote bag manufacture. Arsenal records exist, if you want to trace the history of this item.

http://www.indianahistory.org/our-collecti...s-1861-1903.pdf

Is the bag marked to that Arsenal or just the straps? I only have seen Watervliet and RIA manufactured items for the Marine Corps in the earlier time periods. The marking should be at the base of the flap in the center just above the toiletries pouch. Straps were made under separate contracts and therefore may not denote bag manufacture. Arsenal records exist, if you want to trace the history of this item.

http://www.indianahistory.org/our-collecti...s-1861-1903.pdf

i see the arsenal markings only on one of the straps but they look the same color. I can't see any markings inside the the flap itself. I guess I will have to try and look at it with night vision? I will also look through the records but have you ever seen a font like that? And do you know if the Arsenal produced any USMC items? Thanks for your help.

Pictures are not very good to see font clearly. See below for link of another post a few years ago of Army variety with markings as should be on yours.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=40340

History of Arsenal

The Indianapolis Arsenal was established by the Federal Ordnance Department in April, 1863. Prior to that time, the

state of Indiana operated its own arsenal in Indianapolis to supply munitions for Indiana regiments. The state arsenal

operated from 1861-1864, at which time the land was taken over for use by the Federal Arsenal. Captain of Ordnance,

William Y. Riley, was appointed to command the first National Arsenal which was located on forty acres of land on

Michigan Avenue on the east side of Indianapolis near the area that became known as Woodruff Place. Riley was

replaced by Captain Thomas Treadwell in August of the same year. Treadwell oversaw the construction of the first

stone storehouse completed in 1865. Over the years, nine other buildings were constructed on the property, with the

last structure being completed in 1893. Unlike its predecessor which also manufactured munitions, the Indianapolis

Arsenal mainly served as an arms and supply storehouse for the United States Army. It was reported that at one time,

the Arsenal stored 100,000 rifles.

The Indianapolis Arsenal had a normal complement of fifty soldiers. Over its nearly forty year history, the Arsenal was

commanded by fifteen different officers. The Arsenal's last two commanders were Major Almon L. Varney (1892-

1899) and Major Charles Shaler (1899-1902). During the Spanish American War, the Arsenal's status was raised from

third to first class. Artillery harnesses and horse equipment were made in its shops.

The Arsenal's importance declined after the war with Spain, and the government authorized its closing in June, 1902.

A detachment from Fort Thomas, Kentucky, maintained the grounds until they were purchased for use by the Winona

Lake Technical and Agricultural Institution in April, 1903. After six years, Winona Lake went into receivership and in

September, 1912, the land was used to start Arsenal Technical Schools, the predecessor of Arsenal Technical High

School, which became the city's third high school in 1916