Rifle Grenade Cartridges, 'The pill'?

Seen a write up about the rifle grenade launchers in WWII, there was a device ? that was called the vitamin pill that would boost the propellent of the blank cartridge that would fire the grenade, what was this, be detailed in your awswer please.

Seen a write up about the rifle grenade launchers in WWII, there was a device ? that was called the vitamin pill that would boost the propellent of the blank cartridge that would fire the grenade, what was this, be detailed in your awswer please.

It will be shown and talked about at the end of this video:

http://www.history.com/videos/grenade-laun...e-launcher-demo

post-2-0-10415400-1477335312.jpg

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

It will be shown and talked about at the end of this video:

http://www.history.com/videos/grenade-laun...e-launcher-demo

Austin,Thanks for the Mail call link, I do know that the grenade was fired by a blank round however he does not mention the Vitamin pill, this was supposidly a extra thing that could be used to make the grenade go farther, what was this, and where was it placed ? it's mentioned in ospreys U.S. ARMY in WWII volumes.

Austin,Thanks for the Mail call link, I do know that the grenade was fired by a blank round however he does not mention the Vitamin pill, this was supposidly a extra thing that could be used to make the grenade go farther, what was this, and where was it placed ? it's mentioned in ospreys U.S. ARMY in WWII volumes.

I found something on it. I hope this helps.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/sear...=clnk&gl=us

post-2-0-10415400-1477335312.jpg

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

The M7, similar to a .45 case, was loaded with 20 grains of powder to increase grenade range. It was inserted in the end of the launcher, behind the rifle grenade, with the paper wad toward the rifle muzzle. The flame from the grenade cartridge would ignite the M7 auxiliary cartridge to give extra boost to the grenade.

post-299-1324790461.jpg

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his country" George Pattons speech to the Third Army.

donation2008.gif

The M7, similar to a .45 case, was loaded with 20 grains of powder to increase grenade range. It was inserted in the end of the launcher, behind the rifle grenade, with the paper wad toward the rifle muzzle. The flame from the grenade cartridge would ignite the M7 auxiliary cartridge to give extra boost to the grenade.

MY THANKS TO BOTH AUSTIN AND RAMBOB, Austins additional quote along with Rambob explains it all.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.