Early Naval/USMS Uniform Question

Mr.Jerry

We picked this up in a collection we recently acquired, but I am a bit at a loss as to what it actually is. The construction leads me to believe it is from the turn of the (last) century. I thought the collar anchors were used by the USMS, but I am unfamiliar with the bullion eagle breast badge with USNR. Any of you sailor types have an idea? Thanks!

navy1.jpg

navy2.jpg

It is a Merchant Marine Academy Midshipman's dress uniform. The badge indicates he was also a member of the Naval Reserve. They are hard to date because as with most military academy uniforms they seldom change but this one appears to be an older one.

The Naval Reserve Merchant Marine insignia was first authorized in 1938 for wear by qualified reservists on the merchant marine uniform, and is very common on wartime USMMA uniforms (may have been required, I'm not sure). It was not worn on Navy uniforms.

Justin B.

The Naval Reserve Merchant Marine insignia was first authorized in 1938 for wear by qualified reservists on the merchant marine uniform, and is very common on wartime USMMA uniforms (may have been required, I'm not sure). It was not worn on Navy uniforms.

Justin B.

Though the "sea chicken" is now authorized for wear on Navy uniforms. I had several friends who had it. An ugly, ugly badge...

Though the "sea chicken" is now authorized for wear on Navy uniforms. I had several friends who had it. An ugly, ugly badge...

I thought that might be the case, though I'm not clear on the purpose. It makes sense to wear it on a commercial/merchant uniform to show one's USNR status, but once you're wearing the Navy uniform, isn't that enough of a clue? Thanks, Dave!

Justin B.

I thought that might be the case, though I'm not clear on the purpose. It makes sense to wear it on a commercial/merchant uniform to show one's USNR status, but once you're wearing the Navy uniform, isn't that enough of a clue? Thanks, Dave!

Justin B.

Typically guys will wear it until they earn their actual warfare qualification (typically) SWO. It shows they are maintaining a MM license. All of them I've known have been MM graduates. There are some who continue to wear them after they get their SWO pins...but it's more of an ego thing (for them, at least, while everyone else laughs at them...) Once you lose your MM qualifications (they have a time limit on the quals) and don't renew them, you can no longer wear it.

Dave

And an example in wear. I've known this guy for 10 years, and my comments above apply...... :rolleyes:

UUUUMMMMMM, Yeah, I see where your comments apply. If I'm not mistaken, arn't all MMA grads automatically USNR? Seems I heard that once from a MMA grad, but not sure. He would fit right in there with Daves buddy.

Steve Hesson

UUUUMMMMMM, Yeah, I see where your comments apply. If I'm not mistaken, arn't all MMA grads automatically USNR? Seems I heard that once from a MMA grad, but not sure. He would fit right in there with Daves buddy.

Steve Hesson

Steve:

They get commissioned via ROTC, so they are automatically USNR officers. They can transition over to USN after 4 (I think...maybe 6 now) years of service. This fellow is at 18 years of service (and now an O-5).

Dave

Mystery solved! For the life of me I couldn't figure out what this DCU qualification badge was until I stumbled across this post.

6566916201_37bae260d3_b_d.jpg

• 1 month later...

I saw one exactly like this at an antique mall last week and it was named and dated 1944 on the tag inside the pocket.

Kurt

• 7 years later...
Salvage Sailor

Justin B.

USNR Bullion "Sea Chicken" on a WWII USN Grey uniform jacket (no boards)

USNR Uniform 001.jpg

USNR Uniform 002.jpg

USNR Uniform 003.jpg

Salvage Sailor

USNR Bullion "Sea Chicken" on a WWII USN Grey uniform jacket (no boards)

Named and made by Clothcraft, tailored by Joseph & Feiss Company

USNR Uniform 004.jpg