WWII web gear w/o US marking

AOK

Is it true that WWII era web gear with makers stamp and date but without the US on the front is Marine issue?

I've been told this but don't know. I have a RMCO 1941 dated pistol belt and 1943 dated 45 mag pouch without the US on the front. I'm new here and to collecting web gear so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Paul.

Most likely supplied to Russia as Lend-Lease. As huge amount of M36 pistolbelts, WW2 dated and maker marked but without the 'US' hit the market a few years ago.

Greetz ;)

David

craig_pickrall

Some of the unmarked gear is USMC and some is lean lease to Russia. If you go to the reference section there are some good threads on different web gear that will explain the differences to you.

Here is a piece which fits this inquiry- a Cartridge Belt made by Hinson in '41. All the components of this rig have the "U.S." stamping except the Belt itself...

post-3226-1324664130.jpg

The maker marks:

post-3226-1324664269.jpg

I don't know when the external "U.S." became mandatory on Ammo Belts issued to our troops, and therefore I couldn't tell you whether this Belt would have been lend-lease or just "pre-stamp" :think:

Speaking of unmarked gear, here are some wierd M1936 Suspenders, mounted on an M1917 Mills Mounted Cartridge Belt which has been modified by the addition of a 10th pocket...

post-3226-1324664925.jpg

Close-up; I think these Suspenders have been discussed on the Forum before, but I can't find anything on them. The harness straps are made of wide, heavy HBT material, and the rear straps have removable box buckles instead of the usual riveted slide type. I should probably put these pics up in the Reference Section...?

post-3226-1324665080.jpg

Close-up; I think these Suspenders have been discussed on the Forum before, but I can't find anything on them. The harness straps are made of wide, heavy HBT material, and the rear straps have removable box buckles instead of the usual riveted slide type. I should probably put these pics up in the Reference Section...?

post-3226-1324665080.jpg

Hi Flage, I remember reading something about M36 suspenders made for the Corps. Yours might be of these, with those specific buckles :think:

Hi Flage, I remember reading something about M36 suspenders made for the Corps. Yours might be of these, with those specific buckles :think:

Oops- if that's the case, I've got 'em in the wrong display! I do have a set of '36s marked "U.S.M.C. M-1936 S.F. Co.", but they're more like the standard design.

Thanks for the tip :thumbsup:

Like 'Flag Guy said, some of the regular M23 belts lacked the marking for whatever reason (probably going by pre-war specs that didn't require them).

RC

Like 'Flag Guy said, some of the regular M23 belts lacked the marking for whatever reason (probably going by pre-war specs that didn't require them).

RC

It would be interesting to do some digging and find out when that was standardized; prior to around 1940, it seems that Cartridge and Pistol Belts were some of the only pieces of Army web gear which didn't have "U.S." on them (Clip Pouches and Field Dressing Pouches also come to mind). The earliest examples I've seen are on Ammo/Pistol Belts which were stamped "U.S.M.C." (below).

post-3226-1324772330.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

Not the clearest of photos, but Major Doyle aid to Edson D. Raff appears to be wearing same suspenders. So the Airborne used them.

I have been been looking for a set of these for years and have a better photo of them being used. BUT cannot remember which book it is in!!

I note that the buckles on the front straps are the later type and not identical to the set in the colour photos. Harness appears to be same configuration with small D-ring stitched rather than the metal riveted retainer.

post-13573-1327355414.jpg

full pic. Ref: Key Uniforms Guides 6:-US AirborneForces Europe 1942-45, by Brian L. Davis SBN 853681066 Arms & Armour Press London 1974- Out of Print

post-13573-1327355637.jpg

Woody, thanks very kindly for that photo. It's the first I've seen with these wierd Suspenders in use, but I'll bet there are others I haven't noticed in some of my own books as well.