Salty 1/2" ribbon bar WWII

camelgreen44

I know this might be really off the wall, but any guesses as to what outfit (USMC ?) might have been eligable to wear this bar? It's a 1/2" wide , hand sewn , and the PUC material is sewn to a blue ribbon backing. Sure wish it could talk! Thanks Denny

post-334-1197209466.jpg

post-334-1197209477.jpg

post-334-1197209721.jpg

post-334-1197209735.jpg

jeremiahcable

1st or Second Marine Divisions and any of their attached units come to mind, but my gut says Navy. 5 campaigns makes it a nice bar to have. That just would have been a lot of campaigns for a marine!

Jeremiah

1st or Second Marine Divisions and any of their attached units come to mind, but my gut says Navy. 5 campaigns makes it a nice bar to have. That just would have been a lot of campaigns for a marine!

Jeremiah

I thought Navy too at first glance . But the the three PUCs changed my mind. I'd guess at a 1st MarDiv Marine.

Semper Fi....Bobgee

There were some Marines who could easily have received this many stars. The forgotten Ships Detachment Marines who served on all Navy capital ships throughout the war. So this bar is for one of them, but more likely it is Navy. I also believe that there must be another bar "mate" that has more of the ribbons the earner of this bar would have undoubtedly be eligible for.

CB

Kurt Barickman

Stars etc. have quite a bit of confusion as seen on many veteran uniforms. Some gyrenes put a star on their PUC for one award, etc. Maybe 1st USMC or as mentioned USN.

Kurt Barickman

I'm sticking with a 1stMarDiv Marine. Recall the EBay medal & Ega group I wrote about back in Sept? Here's his ribbon bar. One silver and one bronze campaign star for a total of SIX and a PUC with 3 stars! He went from Guadalcanal to Okinawa and served in every campaign. My 2 cents.

Semper Fi....Bobgee

Ballance_RibBar.jpg

I'm sticking with a 1stMarDiv Marine. Recall the EBay medal & Ega group I wrote about back in Sept? Here's his ribbon bar. One silver and one bronze campaign star for a total of SIX and a PUC with 3 stars! He went from Guadalcanal to Okinawa and served in every campaign. My 2 cents.

Semper Fi....Bobgee

post-503-1197325515.jpg

The 1st MarDiv only had Guadalcanal, Peleliu and Okinawa and perhaps a star for China occupation? How did he get that many stars on his pacific ribbon?

CB

The 1st MarDiv only had Guadalcanal, Peleliu and Okinawa and perhaps a star for China occupation? How did he get that many stars on his pacific ribbon?

CB

You're incorrect in your campaign recap for 1stMarDiv in WWII. The following explains the campaign awards.

The 1st Marine Division was awarded three Presidential Unit Citations for the following:

Guadalcanal - 7 August to 9 December 1942

Assault and seizure of Peleliu and Ngesebus,

Palau Islands - 15-29 September 1944

Okinawa - 1 April to 21 June 1945 (The third star on the PUC is questionable)

In addition, the 11th Marines was awarded the Navy Unit Commendation for Cape Gloucester, New Britain, 26 December 1943 to 30 April 1944. (He was in the 11th Marines at Cape Gloucester)

The 1st Marine Division (Headquarters) participated in authorized operations and engagements in the Asiatic-Pacific Area as follows:

1.Guadalcanal-Tulagi landings (including First Savo) - 7-9 August 1942.

2. Capture and defense of Guadalcanal - 10 August to 8 December 1942.

3. Finschhafen occupation (Eastern New Guinea Operation) - 2 October to 31 December 1943.

4. Cape Gloucester, New Britain - 1 January to 1March 1944.

5. Capture and occupation of southern Palau Islands -15 September to 14 October 1944.

6. Assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto - 1 April to 30 June 1945.

China Service - 30 September 1945 to (terminal date to be designated

(He was in all campaigns but did not go to China)

Semper Fi.....Bobgee

There were some Marines who could easily have received this many stars. The forgotten Ships Detachment Marines who served on all Navy capital ships throughout the war. So this bar is for one of them, but more likely it is Navy. I also believe that there must be another bar "mate" that has more of the ribbons the earner of this bar would have undoubtedly be eligible for.

CB

This bar could have been easily worn by itself during the war. IMO it is a " wartime " made bar and not one made after VJ day . I like it a lot.

Kurt

After nearly 20 years of collecting USMC you learn something new. I never knew that there were that many campaigns that one could earn stars for in the 1st MarDiv! I myself never actually saw any ww2 Marine uniform that had more than 4 campaign stars and that was to a Ships Detachment Gyrene.

1 to 3 stars is the commonly seen amount and is quite unusual to find more.

CB