How do you display your medals??

DevilDan1900

I have been looking into rearranging my war room displays lately (as it has been relatively the same for years) and am looking for some different ways to display my USMC medal groupings. Something perhaps a bit more interesting and appropriate then just having them sitting in ryker cases. It would be nice to see some of the different ways some of the other members on the forum have come up with to present their medal collections or groupings! Feel free to post anything you may have or to pass along any suggestions or ideas!! thumbsup.gif

I have a couple pictures of how I have mine. Maybe you can get an idea? The cases on the medals are usually closed though so they last longer.

post-1216-1197178099.jpg

post-1216-1197178108.jpg

post-1216-1197178118.jpg

I am still camera challenged, but my favorite way to display medals is to make "French cases" for them.

Start with acid neutral foam core board (available at any art supply store). Foam core has a nice thickness, is pretty rigid, acid free, and is easy to work with. Cut two sheets the same size to fit inside whatever case or frame you intend to use, making sure to leave enough space(about 1/16") around all four sides for material to wrap around the back.

Using the top sheet, in pencil, lay out how you want the medals displayed. I usually eye ball it, and then trace out the shapes. Then, using a hobby knife, cut out the shapes of the medals and suspensions, again allowing just a little extra space. You can finish the cuts with a file or sand paper.

Next, using acid free spray adhesive (again available at any art supply store) glue the top sheet (with the cut outs) to the bottom.

Then cut a piece of thin velvet large enough so that about an inch of extra material overlaps to the back of the board.

Spray the entire front of the board with a light coating of adhesive, and working from the relieved areas (where the medals go) from the center and working outward, press the velvet down onto the front of the board. Make sure that the velvet goes all the way down into the relieved areas, as the medals need to fit down in the recesses.

Finally, using contact cement, attach the extra material at the sides to the back of the boards. You can trim off any bunching at this point, and if you care to, can glue a piece of textured paper to the back to "finish" it off.

After it dries, take a hobby knife, and cut out recesses for the suspension pins, so that the medal will sit down flat in the recess.

The french case is now ready.

The nice thing about a french case is it takes the stress off the ribbons, and looks very nice.

Sorry about not having pictures, but I hope this gives you some ideas.

Wow, that sounds like a really elegant way to display them. From your detailed discription I think I can got a good idea of how to pull it off nicely. One of the main complaints I have about the riker cases is that it seems unless you have an exorbitant amount of pressure securing the lid (or if you have large medals with a lot of weight) the minute you try to tip the case at an angle for display everything slides to the bottom of the case in a heap. Needless to say, this isn't exactly healthy for some of the more frayed variety (and gets pretty annoying after you've taken the pins out and lids off to reposition them a dozen times disgust.gif ). The recessed, form fitted cases you spoke of would definately solve that problem. Definately a good idea. Any one else have any interesting suggestions?

I used wooden framed mounts from Indian River Display Case Co http://members.aol.com/janiew48/wood.html when I had a lot of medals on display. Here's a picture of my basement when I collected Soviet awards. They were great for displaying both paperwork and awards, and didn't put undo pressure on any award/document. I swear by them!

Dave

CollectingWall2.jpg

Dave are the badges/ medals (the pinback ones) pinned into the foam or just layed on top? looks great!

Thanks for the compliment!

The awards are simply layed on top, and the pressure of the case glass holds (held) them in place without damaging any of the awards - ever. Occasionally, for really flat awards, I had to take a piece of bent-in-half card or similar heavy paper to put a little more pressure on the award to make it stay in place, but overall things stay pretty well by themselves, including the documents for the awards.

Here's a picture of a nice side view of a couple cases that feature an American flag (folded) and the letters above that talk about how it was used to negotiate passage through the Red force lines for the last Americans to escape St Petersburg during the Russian Civil War.

Dave

FramesSide.jpg

Dave

Who is the Navy Cross recipient you have hiding off to the right of the picture? Me thinks I see a bar mounted group.

Kurt

I like those cases, and have some too, but don't like the fact that they use polyurethane foam as the bedding material. Polyurethane, over time will decompose and off-gas products including carbon monoxide, oxides of nitrogen, and hydrogen cyanide which over time can attack metals and organic proteins (like silk).

They are fantastic for short term display, but for long term storage, polyurethane foam should be avoided. Believe it or not, that polyester batting that makes Riker mounts so annoying is chemically neutral and actually better for long term storage.

I guess you are kinda dammed if you do, and dammed if you don't.

Chris

WOW Dave. just starting out collecting metals huh, :lol: I never saw so many metals in one collections, just super. What a wonderful collection congratulations. However, now that you folks told DevilDan how to display metals, expect to see his collection bypass yours in size, another LOL, Ray

Dave, I assume that the Navy admiral's formal dress uniform with MoH is named. This plus the MoH's in the frame on the wall make for a very impressive diisplay. I'm very impressed! Would it be possible to see more of your collection. Jack

Well, I got bored last night and after reading all the great info people have posted on this thread, had to make a trip to WalMart at about 1 in the morning. As I am a night owl, it was about 5 a.m. when I called it a night, and by the time I turned in, I had my first "french case" based design about half done. I used CWNorma's idea as a basis and made a few improvements of my own in laying it out (and yes I'll be sure to post pics when i'm done). Tonight I'll be finishing the cutouts and applying the velvet liner. I went with a very deep purple because it reminded me of how beautiful the extremely rare original cases for the Navy and USMC Sampson Medal looked, which were lined in a very similar color. I also thought about engraving and insetting some brass plates which indicate what each medal is, a large one with the name of the veteran, and affixing them with brass finishing nails. It ought to be a really nice looking display when I get done. Thanks to all who contributed!

I like those cases, and have some too, but don't like the fact that they use polyurethane foam as the bedding material. Polyurethane, over time will decompose and off-gas products including carbon monoxide, oxides of nitrogen, and hydrogen cyanide which over time can attack metals and organic proteins (like silk).

Chris:

Actually, I line them with wool and thus far I haven't had a single issue with anything going wrong (knock on wood). Granted my longest-cased group has been in a case for about five years now, but everything seems to be going fine. It is possible to take out the padding in them though and use whatever material you want. In some (like the case for the American flag) I removed the padding entirely to give enough room for the depth of the flag. More worrisome with these is fading due to light as being in these nice cases, I want to keep the groups up on display! pinch.gif

I have a case of riker mounts out in the garage, and have probably chucked a couple dozen of them over the years. I got tired of the pins, and when the pins got lost, the rubber bands, and then the backs of the cases bowing and nothing being held in place... oy. No thanks.

Dave

Dave, I assume that the Navy admiral's formal dress uniform with MoH is named. This plus the MoH's in the frame on the wall make for a very impressive diisplay. I'm very impressed! Would it be possible to see more of your collection. Jack

Jack-

thanks for the compliments! I've actually posted quite a lot in the "displays" forum. Here's the link: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=4206

The uniform with the MOH (not named, it's a VN vintage unissued one) belonged to the "Galloping Ghost" Eugene Fluckey. thumbsup.gif

As far as the MOHs in the frame, they're also unissued, but the ribbons and cravats actually are from vets.

Dave

Very nice Russian Collection to Dave. I have some rusky stuff but not that much!

Thanks! I started collecting Soviet awards in 1991. I've actually written a book on Soviet award research... http://www.forvalor.com/NoDeed.htm

But that's WAY off topic, and not even US (I do have some cool US uniforms on my website, so I guess it's okay to post the link to it...) ;)

Dave

Dave

Who is the Navy Cross recipient you have hiding off to the right of the picture? Me thinks I see a bar mounted group.

Kurt

Kurt -

Why, in fact you do. Sometime I'll get off my lazy rear and post his group here on the forum. I have about 1000 pages of documents (a full legal file box) from him as well. One hell of a guy!

And to tie it back into the thread, his group with docs and photo are also in the frames. thumbsup.gif

Attached is a photo of how the vet had his medals originally.

Dave

Copeland7.jpg

I like your site Dave. This is my second visit to it. I have very few Russian awards and it is amazing how cheap most of them are compared to valor awards. I get accused to being a nazi and a commie from various people because I have both items, they never say it to my face though cause tat is a good way to get grabbed by the collar and thrown into a wall. Is there a way to research the numbers on Soviet orders? To make this relevent to US Militaria, please post photos of the case Dan, and Thanks Vets!