In Memory of our Son

tarbridge

With Christmas on us I thought I would post this diorama that the parents of Pfc.Joseph M.Goesch made to honor their sons Sacrifice in WWII.This box was made and lovingly crafted in the sons memory.

Pfc.Joseph M.Goesch

ser#32768055

Co.K.262nd Inf.Regt.

66th Inf.Division

KIA: 24,December,1944 aboard the Leopoldville

The Leopoldville was a Troop tranport ship on route to Southampton-Cherbourg.It was carrying War materials and 2235 Troops.They were fives miles off the coast of Cherbourg when the U-486 commanded by Oblt.Gerhard Meyer fired a torpedoe that hit the Leopoldville.The time was 17.54 hours.The ship sank at 20.40 hours,the Ships Master-Charles Limbor,55 crew members and 763 Troops were lost.Pfc.Goesch was one of the Troops lost on the leopoldville that night.

The family of Pfc.Goesch kept this diorama with his Purple Heart to memorialize his memory and to kept him in their Hearts.Merry Christmas and R.I.P. Pfc.Goesch

diaroma_005.JPG

moer photos to follow......

Kurt Barickman

Wow, that is another example of the tragedy of war and the impact on the family. They really put their heart into that display and the grief is obvious and evident. Thanks for posting Robert.

Kurt

That's neat that they did that....not all families feel that way though...a couple years ago, I got a call from a woman who had her uncle's Purple Heart...he was one of the casualties that was never recovered from the Leopoldville...she said she wanted to offer it to me (free), but if I didn't want it, it would be thrown out because no one else in the family wanted it....I immediately drove down to her town, and got his PH, Good Conduct medal...letter from the War Department (not a telegram) and some pictures.....I also have a named Bronze Star medal to another man on the ship whose body WAS recovered..I tracked down his only living relative, a sister, and offered to send the medal to her and she didn't even bother answering....at least this PH meant something to someone!

Mark sends

I assume that the picture is him????

Mark sends

Hi Mark.That has always been my understanding that that was him saluting.Robert

It is things like your case which remind me of why I started collecting. Let's never forget the ultimate sacrifice that some pay for our freedom.

• 1 year later...

I am bringing the posting of Pvt.Goesch back to Honor his sacrifice some 68 years ago this Holiday season.RIP.Pvt.Goesch

I've never seen a WW2 one of these before but have seen several shadow box type from the Civil War.

A very fitting tribute.