New Wing

Gary Cain

I have been helping Hub Zemke Jr. for several years now to catalogue his fathers extensive collection of militaria and guns (Hub Sr. was one hell of a wood carver!) and over that time we have become pretty good friends. Imagine my surprise when after another long session of putting things in the correct boxes, determining what was his dads and what his dad collected etc. he pointed to the box with his dads insignia and said "pick one". I was gobsmacked to say the least! So after much havering I finally chose this wing. He primarily wore bullion insignia but there are a few pictures of him wearing a metal wing and this is it!

post-96-1324343863.jpg

the back

I have been helping Hub Zemke Jr. for several years now to catalogue his fathers extensive collection of militaria and guns (Hub Sr. was one hell of a wood carver!) and over that time we have become pretty good friends. Imagine my surprise when after another long session of putting things in the correct boxes, determining what was his dads and what his dad collected etc. he pointed to the box with his dads insignia and said "pick one". I was gobsmacked to say the least! So after much havering I finally chose this wing. He primarily wore bullion insignia but there are a few pictures of him wearing a metal wing and this is it!

post-96-1324343895.jpg

WOW is an understatment... I am sure you have taken steps to document this for future collectors to ooo and ahhh about! What a great thing and ironic that this is the 2nd time this week I have been informed that someone has aquired a famous fighter pilots wings.

Cheers

John

Hi John,

Yes. Hub Jr. wrote a very nice letter providing the provenance for this wing. Who is the other wing from?

Cheers

Gary

WOW is an understatment... I am sure you have taken steps to document this for future collectors to ooo and ahhh about! What a great thing and ironic that this is the 2nd time this week I have been informed that someone has aquired a famous fighter pilots wings.

Cheers

John