Why I hate Pawn Stars

TrenchfootJoe66

Yup. Good friend was in Vegas last year, went into the shop, said it was an absolute dump and stank LOL. About, really, what you would actually EXPECT a Pawn shop in the seedy section of the strip to be like.

I've got mixed feelings, personally. I watch all the shows more to see what is 'out there' and being offered than anything else, although it does send my BP soaring at times. My wife absolutely HATES them and refuses to watch, ever.

Check out Ricks' book, (from your library), it's really not bad.

I do agree though, I've heard similar stories from people I buy from, "I know you have to make something". But then the opposite is also true, the newbie 'gonna make a fortune on ebay' people who go nutso at fleas and yard sales (not to mention auctions) because they *think* something similiar will allow them to retire early. Usually I just laugh.

I get so tired of the tons of the same shows over and over - Pawn Stars, Pickers (I cannot *stand* those guys - total jerks), Picker Sisters/Pawn Chicks whatever (all total idiots from what I have seen), Storage Wars this and that. Why does everything have to be a flippin' war? Also, people need to realize that most of these shows are 100% fake. That chick on American Pickers was *cast* - she is not an actual employee of the company. And WillysMB is right, the same is true on every network, including food. Cupcake Wars, Cake Boss, Iron Chef... or the network channels with their constant raging influx of singing/dancing reality shows. Blech. This is why I watch Netflix and TCM. :laugh:

These shows have the same impact that ebay has had. Every single person selling some piece of junk at their yard sale or flea market booth instantly thinks it is worth a fortune because "I saw it on Pawn Stars/Antiques Roadshow/American Pickers/Storage Wars" or "I see dem goin' on ebay for $200 so I'll let it go for $175."

I get so tired of the tons of the same shows over and over - Pawn Stars, Pickers (I cannot *stand* those guys - total jerks), Picker Sisters/Pawn Chicks whatever (all total idiots from what I have seen), Storage Wars this and that. Why does everything have to be a flippin' war? Also, people need to realize that most of these shows are 100% fake. That chick on American Pickers was *cast* - she is not an actual employee of the company. And WillysMB is right, the same is true on every network, including food. Cupcake Wars, Cake Boss, Iron Chef... or the network channels with their constant raging influx of singing/dancing reality shows. Blech. This is why I watch Netflix and TCM. :laugh:

These shows have the same impact that ebay has had. Every single person selling some piece of junk at their yard sale or flea market booth instantly thinks it is worth a fortune because "I saw it on Pawn Stars/Antiques Roadshow/American Pickers/Storage Wars" or "I see dem goin' on ebay for $200 so I'll let it go for $175."

I have to agree with you! :ermm:

Manchu Warrior
I am waiting for a show called " Stamp Show Wars" to come out so the stamps I had as a kid will be worth bazillions of dollars ;)

Kurt

Wow, what a great idea. Of course I also own a few books of stamps from my days as a youthful philatelist and now they are, well, pretty much worthless. :crying:

Manchu Warrior
Just watched some guy walk into the shop with a complete Nam era ejection seat from a Phantom. An "expert" appraised it at 3500. "Rick the male member" offered him a 150 bucks for it. Because he wouldnt be able to get rid of it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He could of sold that thing in 30 days or less, with a few well placed phone calls. Fortunately the kid didnt take him up on his generous offer.

I just watched an episode on Demand where Rick was ready to drop some serious cash on a Soviet Albatross fighter jet that he believed he could flip rather easily. With that that said. He believes that there is a great market for a $500,000 28 year former Soviet fighter jet but doesn't seem to think that there is a market for a Phantom Vietnam era ejection seat?? :think:

Remember the show that had the OSS "beano" grenade, yea, right walk into a pawn shop to sell that. That's my overall problem with all these shows, its all hollywood bs, made for TV, just entertainment, not reality. Remember, "Truth is stranger than fiction"

I already caught on to the man of a thousand faces on one of the auction shows. Hispanic man, sometimes with a moustache, sunglasses, etc. I can't stand the pickers, at least with Pawn Stars (before reading this post), it seemed like they would present an informed appraisal and offer a deal. The pickers screwed an old lady out of a pair of WWII helmets for $5 each. Don't reckon I'll be too inclined to watch Pawn Stars anymore, though it is still more entertaining that Real Deal. Television sucks.

I just watched an episode on Demand where Rick was ready to drop some serious cash on a Soviet Albatross fighter jet that he believed he could flip rather easily.
There was a discussion about that over on a warbird forum, many people claimed to know the owner of that airplane, which wasn't for sale at all. Sounds like another set up thing...

shows are so fake I've started seeing the same people in several shows. Look in the background and see how many you see. Robert

Yes that one guy who tried to sell the super bowl ring to Rick was on the dealer show with the sextant..

dogfacedsoldier

Not militaria, but the Steve McQeen auto on the Bullet poster. It was fake and the others were real. I don't care for their expert. I don't even watch the showany more, in fact I only like pickers, because I have seen some people's stuff where they have picked. Like the one guy in Southern Ill., his place is not that far from me. He had a lot of WWIIto Vtm stuff. Danielle is an employee, she has nkown Mike for a long time. There are a lot of stories out there, know some folks who know Mike and Frank. The nobody is hitting on is how much a week these guys are paid. No one's doing this for free.

Jon

Well, I'm sure I am going to loose some coolness points over this, but the consensus seems to be that these shows are worthless and for entertainment only. So.... why do we have a 15 page thread on this new show coming about militaria collecting and everyone seems to think it will be cool and educational for the masses? This new show, "Combat Cash" or whatever it is going to be called, after a few shows of what it originally was designed for, won't get the same, "you gotta spice it up or you will be cancelled" speech?

There are a lot of people with lots of high expectations, in the end, it will become the same as all the rest of the shows, just another on the heap.

Everybodys right on all counts but I watch them anyway just to see what they find. On the storage shows I just mute out the scripted garbage and then pay attention to what they come up with. Even most of that is fake or staged. Robert

Pure entertainment; that's what all of these shows are for. Clearly all are scripted in some capacity however obviously people are watching them; even those on here who say they don't, otherwise you wouldn't have commented.

I personally watch them for the same reason as Jason; to see what items show up.

What kills me, though are those who question the ethics of the people on the show, i.e. what they are offering/paying for the items. Taking the "television magic" out of the equation, at the end of the day, it's buyer and seller beware.

If you have a widget, and you take into a pawn shop who offers X amount of money for it, it's on you as the seller to research and determine if this is an acceptable amount for you to sell it for. If you're not happy with the price being offered, well the item is still yours to walk away with. In this scenario, the pawn shop has to make their money, so they are always going to low ball their offer to make the most profit, or in the chance there is going to be some haggling on the final purchase price.

I'm sure all of us, as collectors, have been on one end of the spectrum (buyer or seller) of this type of scenario, so it should be of no surprise..

By the way, the worst of all of these shows, in terms of fantasy, is Storage Hunters on TruTV (which I've mentioned before, however for some reason still watch). For a channel whose name is TruTV, they sure offer a lot of programming that is completely, utterly fake - to the point of ridiculousness!

dogfacedsoldier
Yes that one guy who tried to sell the super bowl ring to Rick was on the dealer show with the sextant..

I saw that on History the other day, and I knew he looked familiar, I saw the Super bowl ring for some reason, and I really don't watch Pawn Stars.

Jon

Remember - "There's no business like show business!" That's all this is about. I watch the Pickers and Pawn Stars because I like to see what turns up. Also the Antiques Roadshow. Pure entertainment is all it is.......If you need to make more out of it.......don't watch. My 2-cents. Bobgee

Remember on Antiques Roadshow years a go when they had the two gentlemen on tht evaluated militaria? I believe he was from Bryn Mwr, PA and they were "caught" staging a a find, I believe it was a civil war sword. Anyway, everyone was up in arms and couldn't believe it and they were relesed from the show. Wonder how they feel now? Ron

Ron: Those guys weren't just 'salting' the show, they were actually stealing stuff from people. The 'salting' was just part of their whole thing. They were very, very, respected in the CW community until that whole episode. I do recall one being charged (maybe more) with theft/fraud etc.

Ron: Those guys weren't just 'salting' the show, they were actually stealing stuff from people. The 'salting' was just part of their whole thing. They were very, very, respected in the CW community until that whole episode. I do recall one being charged (maybe more) with theft/fraud etc.

They basically way under valued some items for a client and sold them for much much more to a museum and pocketed the difference. The family member who sold the items found out what the museum actually paid and the rest is history. The link below is the story.

http://www.current.org/prog/prog007ars.html

Kurt

They basically way under valued some items for a client and sold them for much much more to a museum and pocketed the difference. The family member who sold the items found out what the museum actually paid and the rest is history.

http://www.current.org/prog/prog007ars.html

Kurt

i know that happened a while ago but that is just horrible. i guess that is what happens when greed takes over :thumbdown:

philip

I was watching one of the first pawn starts shows about a month ago and the brother of Rick Dale, the guy who does American Restorations, came in with a really old beat up pop machine. Saying something like he found it out in the desert and wanted to sell it. He sold it to Rick Harrison for like $50.

Then they took the pop machine to Rick Dale's shop, and Rick Dale restored it for him. Even though I'm sure it was one of Rick Dale's pop machines already.

It was all a work.

They basically way under valued some items for a client and sold them for much much more to a museum and pocketed the difference. The family member who sold the items found out what the museum actually paid and the rest is history.

For those wondering about that:

The crime was that they were hired to do appraisals and that creates a fiduciary relationship and a legal responsibility to conduct honest business on behalf their client. If they had simply been approached to buy something they would have had no obligation to tell the seller what they thought the item was really worth: they could have just offered whatever they felt like, resold it for a big profit and it would have been okay. When I buy from people I am sometimes asked, "What do you think it is worth?" I say, "I'm here to buy it: I can tell you what I will pay for it, but if you want an appraisal, I charge a minimum of $100 for those."

Manchu Warrior
For those wondering about that:

The crime was that they were hired to do appraisals and that creates a fiduciary relationship and a legal responsibility to conduct honest business on behalf their client. If they had simply been approached to buy something they would have had no obligation to tell the seller what they thought the item was really worth: they could have just offered whatever they felt like, resold it for a big profit and it would have been okay. When I buy from people I am sometimes asked, "What do you think it is worth?" I say, "I'm here to buy it: I can tell you what I will pay for it, but if you want an appraisal, I charge a minimum of $100 for those."

I was wondering if you can answer a question for me? I was told that if a person has an auction company come to their home to sell their estate they are supposed to be above board with them. Why I am asking is a couple of years ago I was at an auction and a very nice sports item sold. It was a pin from when the Baltimore Orioles won the championship back in 1894. The pin is a pretty rare and desirable piece and it sold in the $2400 range. I then heard one of auction employees say to another person that he informed the owner that it was an old fire department ceremony badge and the old girl did not know what she had and they had paid next to nothing for the item. Just wondering if they had a legal obligation to be honest with the owner in that situation?