Pair of WW1 Gemsco officers collar EGAs

dutchbarge

teufelhunde.ret
I had heard they are ww1 if they have both long and lat lines what are the rules on IDing the eras that early?

Take a look thru the EGA reference section, you can view several varities of the pre WW1 officer emblems & discussions:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...p?showforum=391

You can also read on-line or down load Colonel John A. Driscoll, USMCR publication; THE EAGLE, GLOBE, AND ANCHOR 1868-1968, located here:

http://www.tecom.usmc.mil/HD/PDF_Files/Pub...19000319900.pdf

I had heard they are ww1 if they have both long and lat lines what are the rules on IDing the eras that early?

People with a lifetime's experience of EGAs still haven't figured it all out......it's probably an oversimplification but generally EM/NCOs EGAs from WW1 have both long and lat lines and officers have only lat lines. Cheers, BIll

jeremiahcable

Yep, those two belonged together and I'm glad my bird went to a good home! Be sure to post a pic of that blouse when you are all done with it.

Yep, those two belonged together and I'm glad my bird went to a good home! Be sure to post a pic of that blouse when you are all done with it.

Hello Jeremiah, You're a prince letting me have it. Picture of the birds mounted on the coat to follow. Cheers, Bill

• 2 weeks later...

As promised, the birds on the officer's FG coat (note the six pointed stars on the officer's button). Again, thanks to teufelhunde and Jeremiah for your help in putting this set together. Cheers, Bill

post-27187-1325460683.jpg

beautiful pair. Were they originally a lifetime match?

No, one bird came from Jeremiah, the other from eBay. However, both EGAs are Gemsco. Both have identical pins and 'C' clasps. Both were originally painted the identical 'chocolate' color and both had the identical amount of wear. Someone had tried to 'touch-up' the paint worn off the continents on the EGA from eBay with what looked like nail polish. After removing the nail polish (which took off the original patina as well) I cleaned both EGAs with a mixture of vinegar and salt which removed the patina from both EGAs. After drying them I suspended both of them for about half an hour in a jar with a bit of ammonia. The ammonia vapor does exactly what nature does...oxidizes the brass..only faster. This returned both EGAs to the patina that was on them before cleaning. I think the 'restoration' really turned out and another pair of EGAs will now live on for another 100 plus years. Cheers, Bill