Help with budding officer ega dress collection

warguy

About 10-15 years ago, I purchsed a small collection of officer ega's in an antique store here. I didnt know a thing about them at the time, but they were priced right. My recollection is I didnt pay more than $15-$20.00 each for any of them. They have been packed away all these years, until I started to collect USMC hard about a year ago. I now have a renewed interest in these, better appreciation, but still need some help dating them, etc. Here is an overview of my small collection. I have more ega's, but they are occupying space on hats. The droop wings and enlisted/others have been picked up here and there along the way.

post-21606-1324230046.jpg

What you want to do is to use your camera's macro/closeup feature to fill the frame with an EGA showing the front and backs (so the hallmarks can be seen). The sometimes subtle variations in early EGA's are what can make them fascinating to collect.

Thanks, I hope that is what I did here. I appreciate your support! Next up is a collar ega just marked sterling. I think this might be a match to the hat ega I will also post. On the hat, I have an HH eagle on one wing, sterling on the other and 10k on anchor. The eagles wings have been trenched. First, is this a matched set? How bout the era. Finally, these are pin backed collars, with rope that is fouled. What the heck are they? Thanks all for the help.

post-21606-1324230571.jpg

post-21606-1324230581.jpg

post-21606-1324230595.jpg

post-21606-1324230604.jpg

post-21606-1324230677.jpg

teufelhunde.ret
these are pin backed collars, with rope that is fouled. What the heck are they?

Nice group of emblems you have. Should you decide to sell one day, a nice profit will be realized. If you are directing this question to the pic below... they are referred to a sweetheart insignia, sold during the WW2 era.

post_21606_1324230677.jpg

the H&H marked 'Beast' dress cover emblem is a scarce gem. Usually you see this in service, rarely dress, and even more rarely marked! The wings are probably not actually trenched, all of the dozen or so of this emblem, service and dress, that I have examined seem to have the waving wings

Thank you guys for the info, I appreciate it. I thought you two would weigh in. Brig, can you tell me your thoughts on the beast hat emblem and the collar emblem being a possible match? They look very similar, but the collar is not marked with H-H eagle, just the 10k and sterling marks. Also, what period is the beast attributed to? I know I remember reading H-H started in 1926. Thanks again-Kevin

• 8 months later...

Was just doing some sorting, and saw that I overlooked this. Sorry, was in Afghanistan at the time. Anyway...

I feel the collars and cover could very well be a matching set, the patinas seem similar. I'd want to see the tooling on the globes closer before I gave a definite yes or no.

As for era, the Beast emblems are often attributed to post-WWI through the 20s, even into the 30s.

• 1 month later...