Tanker Helmet 1961

patches

Came across this item, A photo on the cover of the September 1961of LIFE,it appears to be the WWII type but it looks a little differant like a wider band around the bottom of the helmet in the center of said band there is a some sort of a rivit. Now I'am aware the the WWII type in the early 60s was still seen to a degree in those National Guard Armored Divisions as well as the Seperate Armored units, IE Tank, Armored Cavalry, Artillery Battalions within the NG, but here I thought that by the time of the Berlin Wall Crisis in the late summer of 1961 ( the period that this photo was taken )that this WWII was no longer used in the Regular Army. Is this one or is this one of those 1950s devolped ones, I know the googles on the helmet rather obsure the helmet but can others see which one it is. It is also worth pointing out that this young Tank commander is a Spec 5, remember the topic in the ranks forum on the Spec 5s, TANKER 1 U.S. Army tank crewman 1963-1988 backed up the assertion that Spec 5s indeed where combat troops within Armored, Armored Cavalry units in the 1960s.

post-34986-1324176279.jpg

The US were using German produced US tanker helmet clones while in stationed Germany, probably in small numberes , where needed to fill shortages of US GI tanker helmets......mike

The US were using German produced US tanker helmet clones while in stationed Germany, probably in small numberes , where needed to fill shortages of US GI tanker helmets......mike

To use till the new Tank crewman helmets arrived in signifcant numbers to be issued to all AFV crewmen ? From what you can see, do you think this is one of those German types ?

Looks like the Euroclone helmet to me. It has a higher dome than the GI version to my eyes. Along with the rivet on the front. And was there a discussion somewhere on the Spec ranks not being worn in combat arms?

Looks like the Euroclone helmet to me. It has a higher dome than the GI version to my eyes. Along with the rivet on the front. And was there a discussion somewhere on the Spec ranks not being worn in combat arms?

Right, I'll try and see about looking at photos of the West German made types from the late 50s early 60s. On the Spec 5s I always knew that tank crewmen could be Spec 5s, the discusion was whether they could be Riflemen or Mortarmen is a Infantry LINE unit, it was the Vietnam tanker vet who stated for the record that as far as Armored and Armored Cavalry units go Spec 5s could and where combat soldiers in these units and would not only be Medics or say Signal Corps guys ( Not to say Medics are not combat soldiers, but they do fall under differant catogories than a Combat Arms soldier ). The Helmet in the photo is interesting, anybody have this LIFE issue ? I, am sure there will be more photos in the artical. HEY PATCHES ! WHY DON'T YOU BUY IT :think:

I have this issue of life and I have wondered about the helmet worn by the SP5 tank commander. As I said in another post, a SP5 could be a tank gunner or a senior driver. I made SP5 as a senior driver. If the unit was short SSGs or SGTs, then a SP5 could command a tank till the correct rank NCO was assigned. There is one more smaller pic in the article that looks like it was taken at check point charlie and the tankers are wearing the standard tanker helmet. I went to the 3rd Armored Division in early 1964 and I never saw this type of tank crew helmet. Just because I never saw one does not mean some units were not using it. I did see some old football type helmets used in some tracked artillery units for a while. Note the 4th Armored Division patch. This photo could be a file photo taken prior to 1961 and just used on the Life cover. The 40th Armor Battalion was with the Berlin Brigade in the stand off in 61 at check point charlie. Tanker pics during the stand off show the type of standard armor crewman helmet I was issued in 64.

Thanks,

Jim

post-30147-1324192778.jpeg

post-30147-1324192835.jpeg

This does not help to ID the odd tanker helmet, but I have seen tankers use an ear phone/chest mike set under a standatd M1 helmet. Not the best, but better than nothing when short a CVC.

I have this issue of life and I have wondered about the helmet worn by the SP5 tank commander. As I said in another post, a SP5 could be a tank gunner or a senior driver. I made SP5 as a senior driver. If the unit was short SSGs or SGTs, then a SP5 could command a tank till the correct rank NCO was assigned. There is one more smaller pic in the article that looks like it was taken at check point charlie and the tankers are wearing the standard tanker helmet. I went to the 3rd Armored Division in early 1964 and I never saw this type of tank crew helmet. Just because I never saw one does not mean some units were not using it. I did see some old football type helmets used in some tracked artillery units for a while. Note the 4th Armored Division patch. This photo could be a file photo taken prior to 1961 and just used on the Life cover. The 40th Armor Battalion was with the Berlin Brigade in the stand off in 61 at check point charlie. Tanker pics during the stand off show the type of standard armor crewman helmet I was issued in 64.

Thanks,

Jim

post-30147-1324192778.jpeg

post-30147-1324192835.jpeg

Tanks for looking in, I knew this would catch your eye, It is posiable that the cover photo could have been taken a couple years before and used as a stock photo, but as I recall from reading the army history at that time, the whole Military appartus around the world was put on full alert, with National Guard units even being federalized, so here it may be a legit photo taken by a LiFE photographer in West Germany during August 1961. My connection to that period ? I was born August 12 1961, my poor mother who was still in the hospital with me, the new mom of a day old new born and of two other small girls at home was petrified that an all out Nuclear War was about to start any minute.

The helmet in question is called the USAEUR Tank Helmet by tank helmet collectors. They were a West German designed tank helmet which was not adopted by the Bundeswehr. These were purchased by U.S. forces in West Germany, under local purchase order numbers, when available supplies of other type CVC helmets were not available. These helmets featured an aluminum bowl with the multi-hole ventilation holes similar to those found on German civic helmets of WWII. The boom mic and other electronics were added by the purchasing unit. These helmets were produced by the German companies: H. Romer and Maury, both major helmet producers. They were used primarily in the period 1958 - 1962.

The period of the 1950's saw the armored forces rapidly expand from the immediate post-WWII demob because of Warsaw Pact threats in Eastern Europe. The pace of this growth soon exceeded the available supply of CVC helmets. In fact the first armored units sent to Korea were equipped with the M4A2 flak helmet because there was nothing else available. The T-56 series of helmets was under design and testing but throughout the 50's it could not meet the Army's requirement for noise attenuation. The result was that armored units were allowed to use whatever was available, to include: up-graded 1938 Pattern helmets, commercial football helmets, Air Force H-4 and P1A flight helmets, and the USAEUR helmet. The T-56-6 helmet was finally accepted by the Army after the addition of a sound absorbing padding installed in the top of the helmet bowl in 1960 and it began issue in 1961. It would take several years for the T-56-6 to finally replace all the interim helmets especially in the stateside National Guard units.

There are photographs showing Elvis wearing both the USAEUR tank helmet and the up-graded 1938 Pattern tank helmet.

Larry

Great info Larry. I believe this is the helmet in question?

post-8022-1324222898.jpg

Yes Ian, should be a makers name, US size number, and a PO number and date all stamped on the inner lining. Sometimes on very clean examples you can still see the US Army inspector's acceptance stamp.

Larry

Great info Larry. I believe this is the helmet in question?

post-8022-1324222898.jpg

That would be it, see the wider band, top to bottom wider,with that rivit, also as described, the grouping of small ventilation holes. Thanks for the Photo Ian.

The helmet in question is called the USAEUR Tank Helmet by tank helmet collectors. They were a West German designed tank helmet which was not adopted by the Bundeswehr. These were purchased by U.S. forces in West Germany, under local purchase order numbers, when available supplies of other type CVC helmets were not available. These helmets featured an aluminum bowl with the multi-hole ventilation holes similar to those found on German civic helmets of WWII. The boom mic and other electronics were added by the purchasing unit. These helmets were produced by the German companies: H. Romer and Maury, both major helmet producers. They were used primarily in the period 1958 - 1962.

The period of the 1950's saw the armored forces rapidly expand from the immediate post-WWII demob because of Warsaw Pact threats in Eastern Europe. The pace of this growth soon exceeded the available supply of CVC helmets. In fact the first armored units sent to Korea were equipped with the M4A2 flak helmet because there was nothing else available. The T-56 series of helmets was under design and testing but throughout the 50's it could not meet the Army's requirement for noise attenuation. The result was that armored units were allowed to use whatever was available, to include: up-graded 1938 Pattern helmets, commercial football helmets, Air Force H-4 and P1A flight helmets, and the USAEUR helmet. The T-56-6 helmet was finally accepted by the Army after the addition of a sound absorbing padding installed in the top of the helmet bowl in 1960 and it began issue in 1961. It would take several years for the T-56-6 to finally replace all the interim helmets especially in the stateside National Guard units.

There are photographs showing Elvis wearing both the USAEUR tank helmet and the up-graded 1938 Pattern tank helmet.

Larry

Most Excelent, Thank you for this detailed information.

Glad to help Jim, I'm all about Tanker Helmets

Larry

Hello Larry, wait was'nt that a short live comedy series with McLain Steveson :D any hoo, do you your self have the USAEUR tanker helmet in you collection ? would they be rare this day and age, i'm talking about a beat up one, but a complete one with all the electronics. A question on the USAEUR helmet did they get back to the states for wear, meaning did the QMC say buy them only for use in West Germany or did they procure them as back up helmets for state side units, perhaps also for Reserve componante use.

Hello Larry, wait was'nt that a short live comedy series with McLain Steveson :D any hoo, do you your self have the USAEUR tanker helmet in you collection ? would they be rare this day and age, i'm talking about a beat up one, but a complete one with all the electronics. A question on the USAEUR helmet did they get back to the states for wear, meaning did the QMC say buy them only for use in West Germany or did they procure them as back up helmets for state side units, perhaps also for Reserve componante use.

Jim, I have several in my collection at present and as far as the value, well, that pretty much depends on condition. They are not common, but not what I would consider rare. I have seen several on eBay lately and they seem to go in the 40-60 dollar range in good condition. They were not purchased for issue stateside, this is not to say some individuals did not get transferred back stateside and manage to bring one home and use it. At this time the helmets were still considered part of the vehicles TOE so GI's would have had to account for them when leaving the unit.

Larry

Jim, I have several in my collection at present and as far as the value, well, that pretty much depends on condition. They are not common, but not what I would consider rare. I have seen several on eBay lately and they seem to go in the 40-60 dollar range in good condition. They were not purchased for issue stateside, this is not to say some individuals did not get transferred back stateside and manage to bring one home and use it. At this time the helmets were still considered part of the vehicles TOE so GI's would have had to account for them when leaving the unit.

Larry

JIM I'm not JIM ! yukyuk, thats good info, 60 bucks or a good condition one, I of course only get unissued, mint stuff, so I,am those two mention conditions is where they will become rare I,m imagining. thanks again.

• 5 years later...
  • 4 years later...