Enlisted Seaplane Half Wing Wall & Dougherty HI

Gary Cain

Havn't posted here for awhile as I bought a new camera and the image size it makes is too big to post here. I finally got around to getting some software to alter the sizes so will start posting again. I will begin by posting the rarest wing I've ever owned. It is a Hawaiian jeweler made Enlisted Seaplane Aircrew wing. I found it at an estate sale along with a ton of other insignia and DUI's that were all Hawaii related.

post-96-1324151994.jpg

Here's the back

Havn't posted here for awhile as I bought a new camera and the image size it makes is too big to post here. I finally got around to getting some software to alter the sizes so will start posting again. I will begin by posting the rarest wing I've ever owned. It is a Hawaiian jeweler made Enlisted Seaplane Aircrew wing. I found it at an estate sale along with a ton of other insignia and DUI's that were all Hawaii related.

post-96-1324158581.jpg

post-96-1324158643.jpg

Hello again,

i certainly don't remember the avi you have now! Here are both the front and back. Sorry for the delay, i had people come into the shop!

Hi Gary,

It has been awhile.......so long in fact, you probably don't remember me!! :lol:

May we see the back of the wing??

ENLISTED SEAPLANE AIRCREW WING ?????

Hmmmmm ??, never heard of this one before. According to official sources avaialbe to me, a silver wing similar to the Naval Aviator's wing was introduced in 1927 for use by Naval Aviation Observers. This wing was replaced in 1929 by a unique design wing. Some time before 1922, a gold half-wing similar to yours was introduced for Navy enlisted personnel holding certificates as Balloon Pilots. The word "enlisted" was dropped from the regulations in 1947 so the wing then appleid to Officer and enlisted Balloon Pilots. The badge was removed from the authorized list in 1978. Since this wing is a jeweler made piece, it may have been made (mistakenly) for an enlisted pilot in silver. Or, it could be an unfinished piece that was never gold plated/filled.

One question, is there any visible indication the right wing has been removed Can you post a picture of the right side of the shield?

The reason I ask, over the years, some of our "insignia enhancing" brothern have removed a wing and attached a new, shorter pin to increase the value. The wing removal is very obvious when you examine the edge of the shield.

This is the best image I can get of it at the moment. But under magnification there is no evidence of the wing being taken off.

I took the information from here...

"Pin Back

Cliff Presley Collection

9/14/2010

Most collectors will argue that it is a Balloon Pilot badge... but it isn't. In August 1919 the Navy Department approved a change to the double wing naval aviation badge as follows:

The present gold pin with double wings based on the shield and anchor will be worn only on wash summer uniforms. The winter uniforms will carry a similar device of gold embroidery. Provision has been made by the new regulation which designates student naval aviators and flying mechanicians.

The student wears a pin similar to that of the graduate aviator, with the exception that one wing is removed leaving a device similar to that worn by observers abroad.

Regular members of seaplane flight crews among the enlisted men will wear a pin similar to that of the student naval aviator, except it shall be of silver. This change is made with the belief that there should be a distinctive insignia for the graduate and student naval aviators, and further, that the flying mechanician should also be entitled to wear some mark of distinction.

The information above is documented in the 30 August 1919 issue of the ARMY AND NAVY REGISTER, page 287."

http://www.ww2wings.com/wings/wwi/us/usnavy.shtml

ENLISTED SEAPLANE AIRCREW WING ?????

Hmmmmm ??, never heard of this one before. According to official sources avaialbe to me, a silver wing similar to the Naval Aviator's wing was introduced in 1927 for use by Naval Aviation Observers. This wing was replaced in 1929 by a unique design wing. Some time before 1922, a gold half-wing similar to yours was introduced for Navy enlisted personnel holding certificates as Balloon Pilots. The word "enlisted" was dropped from the regulations in 1947 so the wing then appleid to Officer and enlisted Balloon Pilots. The badge was removed from the authorized list in 1978. Since this wing is a jeweler made piece, it may have been made (mistakenly) for an enlisted pilot in silver. Or, it could be an unfinished piece that was never gold plated/filled.

One question, is there any visible indication the right wing has been removed Can you post a picture of the right side of the shield?

The reason I ask, over the years, some of our "insignia enhancing" brothern have removed a wing and attached a new, shorter pin to increase the value. The wing removal is very obvious when you examine the edge of the shield.

post-96-1324173596.jpg