6 volt defroster/’42 cartridge belt/shovel

zepher11

Haven’t been able to get out and about lately to artifact hunt, but I finally had some time off work today and made the most of it. Boy it is nice to get out early and get on the hunt.

This is what I came up with this morning. I found a 6 volt windshield defroster in its original OD metal box. Not too sure on vintage yet. Need to do a little research on this. I also found some patches of WWII vintage and some newer 101st AB. I found a shovel, but can’t find a date. I also found a ’42 Boyt dated cartridge belt, a WWI era pouch and a sewing kit. What I really liked was the linked .30 Caliber ammo belt. This will make a nice display.

post-24058-1324144982.jpg

post-24058-1324145051.jpg

post-24058-1324145001.jpg

And what is really neat is that I found a set of dog tags that I believe may be of the brother of Vernon Tanem. I posted before a bunch of paper work I have from Vernon’s service awhile ago here: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...81&hl=tanem I know that Vernon’s mother was Shasta Tanem. I will need to do some more research on this. I didn’t know Vernon had a brother that served. Vernon was in the 15th AAF and was shot down over Ploesti and became a POW.

Here is the dog tags:

post-24058-1324145272.jpg

Cartridge belt:

post-24058-1324145298.jpg

post-24058-1324145306.jpg

Johan Willaert
I found a 6 volt windshield defroster in its original OD metal box. Not too sure on vintage yet. Need to do a little research on this.

I would say it's WW2 vintage and a nice accessory to any 6V vehicle...

Still need one for my Jeep..... :w00t:

I would say it's WW2 vintage and a nice accessory to any 6V vehicle...

Still need one for my Jeep..... :w00t:

Hi Johan,

I did a little research. It looks as though it is in unused condition as it appears to have the original tape holding the wires together for shipping. I think it is missing the rubber suction cups that would hold it to the windshield, however. Other than that it looks in almost new condition!

Regards,

Zeph

Just a little update on the dog tags for Melvin Tanem. Vernon Tanem, of which I have a nice grouping, is in fact his brother. I found this newspaper clip today of Melvin's obit. Apparently, he worked on the Memphis Belle while in the USAAF stationed in England. I have a relative that was a B-17 pilot in the 91st BG, but not until Sept. 1944.

I did find that Melvin enlisted on 1/8/1942, so it is likely he was there while the Memphis Belle was in service. This looks like an interesting research project. Here's what I found:

post-24058-1324187249.jpg

Zeph

Your pre WW1 first aid packet pouch is a great find.Boyt belt is a nice clean one too.I ran into a guy who has/had two of the windshied defrosters new in the paper wrapping and still sealed with water proof adhesive.Didnt pick then up as I wasnt sur what they are worth and I thought the guy was over priced anyway.

RD

Your pre WW1 first aid packet pouch is a great find.Boyt belt is a nice clean one too.I ran into a guy who has/had two of the windshied defrosters new in the paper wrapping and still sealed with water proof adhesive.Didnt pick then up as I wasnt sur what they are worth and I thought the guy was over priced anyway.

RD

I don't really collect the WWI items, but these were too good to pass up. Hopefully, I can pass them on. I think the defroster would be worth at least $40 to the right fella!

Zeph

Is the ammo belt live?

No, not live. They have been drilled near the top of the brass and the primers removed. Most of the brass looks to be of Vietnam era. They did a nice job and they look great as a display:

post-24058-1324314150.jpg

post-24058-1324314159.jpg

Regards,

Zeph