How to not get burned by fake uniforms!

Dave

• 1 month later...

Thank you Dave for that post. That should be mandatory reading for all the forum newbies. :w00t:

Very glad I took the time to read it.

• 1 year later...

I have been in the business of buying and selling used and collectable uniforms since 1985, joining a family business that started in 1946. It hasn't always been like this. I remember when fakery first started to appear and I remember finding out that two other local dealers were manufacturing fakes. I guess I'm naive, but it shocks and disgusts me. I remember when people were so much more trustworthy. Such a shame!

Anyway, thanks for the excellent tutorial. Sadly, I needed it.

• 7 months later...

Great article! Lots of good information and it should go for other countries also as we all know there are many fakes out there.

• 5 months later...

Unless, of course, there's some solid documentation or other proof http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif

Exactly. It seems like more times than not if I hear a crazy or interesting story on an item that does not include documentation, the item is a reproduction or is way over priced likely due to the story. Its a shame because I bet a lot of true stories are overlooked due to the fake ones.

• 1 month later...

I've been 'learned' of a new tactic being used by uniform fakers, mostly in East Asia (I hesitated posting it for fear of go in anyone ideas but I think those guys are pretty much off of here and I can trust this group). We are all aware of some of the more prominent makers but they are now using rarer and relatively obscure makers in their fakes to reduce suspicion: 'oh, it's Union Kitting Mill out of CT? This can't be fake'. You got the point. The best advice is, like everyone has said, to trust your gut. If it doesn't seem right, it probably isn't. Stay safe

Kyle

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
gunbunnyB/3/75FA

hi, like most of you guys, i too have been colllecting uni's for over 30 yrs. but im always looking for more info, so i clicked on that site mentioned above, but i keep getting a forbidden code, just curious, is there a different way to get to it?

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Grenadier2002

This topic would make a great book. This is the real deal, look for this, this, this. Fakes on the other hand look for this, this, this.