The use of foliage as additional helmet camo.

Sabrejet

• 3 weeks later...

OIF I.

I think I knew the guy in this picture. Regardless, I think 3/187 infantry was one of the few battalions if not the only one to wear "battle hair," as it was called, for the invasion of Iraq, but we ditched it several months into the war. Maybe it was all of 3rd brigade that wore it? I can't remember now. But my money's on the guy in that picture being a Rakkasan, mostly likely from 3rd batt.

We made it by attaching a section of cargo net to the helmet band with 550 cord, and then tying strips of burlap to the cargo net. It was kind of annoying and tended to get caught on things and fall apart. That, coupled with the fact that it was kind of silly to invade a desert country wearing foliage camo, is probably why the powers that be decided to get rid of it.

I think I knew the guy in this picture. Regardless, I think 3/187 infantry was one of the few battalions if not the only one to wear "battle hair," as it was called, for the invasion of Iraq, but we ditched it several months into the war. Maybe it was all of 3rd brigade that wore it? I can't remember now. But my money's on the guy in that picture being a Rakkasan, mostly likely from 3rd batt.

We made it by attaching a section of cargo net to the helmet band with 550 cord, and then tying strips of burlap to the cargo net. It was kind of annoying and tended to get caught on things and fall apart. That, coupled with the fact that it was kind of silly to invade a desert country wearing foliage camo, is probably why the powers that be decided to get rid of it.

Nope-- it was not all of the Rakkasans, only 3- 187 wore it during OIF (early part as you said).

Scott

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Two more with the Cav in South Vietnam.

post-34986-0-89802800-1485572160_thumb.jpg

In circa 1967, a GI of C Co 2/5th Cav, who in all likeliness is a senior NCO. Seen this foto for the first time in a book when I was in, in 1982, and back then he struck me as being a Hawaiian.

And these GIs Un A..$..S-ing a chopper during Jeb Stuart in January 1968, note how they have already camouflaged their helmets before boarding the bird, they are also wearing flak jackets. Troops are of an unknown battalion of the 1st Brigade 1st Cav Div, either from one of the two battalions of the 8th Cav, or the 1st Battalion 12th Cav.

post-34986-0-97464700-1485572397_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
seanmc1114

Here are members of the 11th Airborne Division during Exercise Jungle Jim in Panama in 1945 wearing foliage on their patrol caps. Also note that they have hidden their full color insignia on their fatigues by turning their shirts inside out.

post-1761-0-38028900-1494010383_thumb.jpg

post-1761-0-31880500-1494010398_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

A Bazooka team with the Green Stuff in the 1950s, unit and location unknown. Was glad to finally find this foto online, first seen this foto long long time ago when I was a kid in CB Colby's Weapons of World War II (Don't have this one), the Bazooka of course is the Super Bazooka, so really wouldn't be a WWII weapon.

post-34986-0-12620200-1497498466_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

post-34986-0-59872800-1502589917_thumb.jpg

Troops of the 102nd Infantry 43rd Division in Germany 1953 wearing that burlap strip like affair, seems to have been somewhat common there.

post-34986-0-69277300-1502935747.jpg

A GI with foliage on his helmet, is of the IX Corp's 411th Eng Bn USAR Hawaii around 1982, the other guy there is an Australian Soldier, so I believe foto be may taken at Hawaii or perhaps OZ.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

post-34986-0-32229500-1510540185_thumb.jpg

Seen this great photo, never seen this one before, troops on D-Day, might be heading to Utah, 4th Division then (please correct if it's Omaha).

Of particular note apart from the scrim worn by some of them, is the one in the foreground, see, he's a Air Corps officer, at first guess would be he's a member of one of those 9th Air Force Aviation Engineer units right, but we don't think they hit the beaches in the assault waves on D-Day right, and would believe their officers would be of the Corps of Engineers and would be wearing the Engineer Branch insignia. Hmm so what! could he have been a AAC liaison officer for the setting up and coordination of close air support?

Posted Image

Here is a former neighbor, a Marine vet who is now 91. Looks like grass somehow attached to the cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

309777cb5d67ddeb2e319cfdb8b46f74.jpg

Here is a former neighbor, a Marine vet who is now 91. Looks like grass somehow attached to the cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Great foto, he seems to have shoved the grass under his liner chin strap .

Seen this great photo, never seen this one before, troops on D-Day, might be heading to Utah, 4th Division then (please correct if it's Omaha).

Great photo. It is from a series of U.S. Navy photos showing glider pilots being returned to England on June 8, 1944. They wore infantry style gear because they would be on the ground with the glider troops during the first hours of the invasion. This is off of Utah Beach.

Tom

• 6 months later...
seanmc1114

Soldier of the 1st Cavalry Division in Vietnam from the June 1966 issue of "Army Digest". Note he is wearing the first pattern jungle jacket with what looks like a U.S. made nylon subdued U.S. ARMY tape and U.S. or Japanese made subdued 1st Cavalry Division SSI.

post-1761-0-75465300-1527276267_thumb.jpg

Soldier of the 1st Cavalry Division in Vietnam from the June 1966 issue of "Army Digest". Note he is wearing the first pattern jungle jacket with what looks like a U.S. made nylon subdued U.S. ARMY tape and U.S. or Japanese made subdued 1st Cavalry Division SSI.

tape is probably an embroidered one, in country made, the patch could be a dyed one.

• 1 month later...

post-34986-0-13743500-1531450425_thumb.jpg

These are mortarmen of one of the Ohio NG's 166th Regimental Combat Team's Heavy Weapons Company, either D, H or M Companies, Camp Breckenridge KY Summer Drill 1956 (of note apart from the foliage is the continued wear of the 1948 Reg chevrons at this late date, something quite common I discoverd within the NG of the mid 50s, the Corporal, who seems to be wearing not the combat arms type, the Blue on Yellow, but the combat support, support type, Yellow on Blue)

attachicon.gif phpdJ3D3JPM.jpg

Of particular note apart from the scrim worn by some of them, is the one in the foreground, see, he's a Air Corps officer, at first guess would be he's a member of one of those 9th Air Force Aviation Engineer units right, but we don't think they hit the beaches in the assault waves on D-Day right, and would believe their officers would be of the Corps of Engineers and would be wearing the Engineer Branch insignia. Hmm so what! could he have been a AAC liaison officer for the setting up and coordination of close air support?

Im guessing Air Corps man are Glider pilot(s)...plus the look and demenor of them says relief …..like they are on the way back.Evacuees from the battle.also no one seems to be carring full packs like they are going in or staging for the ride