The use of foliage as additional helmet camo.

Sabrejet

10 hours ago, patches said:

Modern day troops with Scrim, Operation Cobra Gold 18 Thailand, 25th Inf Div.

ZWICV7SJZR.jpg

I really don’t miss that at all. 

• 10 months later...

GIs of the 1st Battle Group 28th Infantry, 1st Infantry Division in the very late 50s early 60s wearing Burlap covers,very late 50s early 60s because the bazooka man there is wearing the reinstated buck sergeant stripes, in Yellow and Army Green.

DdbB-jNU8AABpOJ.jpg

• 1 month later...

A 1953 photo of a Sergeant with both a Burlap Cover and a Wide Mesh Net held down with a band, see how he has placed a single chevron under the net! Unit Unknown.

058dc.jpg

• 2 months later...

U.S. Army Alaska Commander Major General John Michaelis out in the field at Fort Richardson in June 1961, has a look see at the new M17 Gas Mask worn by troops of the command's 1st Battle Group 23rd Infantry, troops as we see are wearing Burlap Covers, with what looks like Blousing Rubbers as bands. Michaelis was in command of USARAL May 1959 to May 1962.

USARAL.jpeg

• 2 months later...
On 3/15/2020 at 9:20 PM, patches said:

An Officer of the 4th Bn 9th Inf 25th Inf Div 1967.

post-34986-0-42660900-1584321604_thumb.jpg

He is LT Ronald Beedy A Co 4th of the 9th Inf

• 3 weeks later...

After rejoining the Forum, I have learned sadly of the loss of many members who had made supportive contributions, and encouraged many new collectors. Saber jet was one of those members who actively took interest in not only my posts but so many others. So, in memory of Ian, I though I’d in some small way add to this thread of his…

Chesty Puller and 7 Marines pushing on to Manatikau river, Guadalcanal 1942

E5C6FFF6-B9A3-44D7-97F5-E7C92274871E.jpeg.58df1a37205147daf652d1a01a2e1e8a.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Back in Business, the 101 reactivated to Full Combat and Jump Status at Fort Campbell Kentucky. In this 1956 photo the troops are wearing some kind of light drab cloth covers that have received Camo Paint splotches,

101 560001.jpg

On 3/17/2020 at 12:22 AM, patches said:

post-34986-0-70356100-1584418831.jpg

A couple of GIs from the 98th Chemical Mortar Battalion, where one of them wears foliage, maybe shoved into the Camo Band which was worn starting in 1945 in the Pacific, the band usually by itself without the net, or maybe he was one who got the net?? Photo,The Philippines 1945.

Japanese type 97 150mm Mortar

USMC_COLLECTOR

I don't know if it is just an abundance of photos, but it seems this was done mainly with Army units... Does anyone know why?

2 hours ago, USMC_COLLECTOR said:

I don't know if it is just an abundance of photos, but it seems this was done mainly with Army units... Does anyone know why?

The 3 S's of camouflage: Shape, Shine and Sound. 

Scrim breaks up the shape of the helmet, making it less discerning to the human eye and also reduces the shine of the helmet paint. 

More of Masher/White Wing January 66.

A Co 2 of 7th Cav Captain Joel Sugdnis  kneeling and on the horn with 1st Lieutenant Gordon Grove above him  peering off into the distance. A Company was already behind the 8 Ball from the outset, an entire Platoon from the company was killed in a transport plane crash at An Khe as the division was leaving the base.

mnbv.jpg

10 hours ago, patches said:

More of Masher/White Wing January 66.

A Co 2 of 7th Cav Captain Joel Sugdnis  kneeling and on the horn with 1st Lieutenant Gordon Grove above him  peering off into the distance. A Company was already behind the 8 Ball from the outset, an entire Platoon from the company was killed in a transport plane crash at An Khe as the division was leaving the base.

mnbv.jpg

There is a really great book by Larry Gwin who was Sugdnis’s XO. It is called “Baptism” and the book covers this event as well as many others like, LZ Albany, in great detail . 

Three photos of the 1st Battle Group 29th Infantry Infantry School around 1958 wearing Burlap. They are equipped with the new M14 Rifle (the first type with all wood top fore stock T44) and M60 Machine Gun, and the M79 Grenade Launcher, but are still using the old M1910 Web gear with the old M1945 Suspenders and Packs rather then the new m1956 Web Gear. The one photo of the Recoilless Rifle is mounted on the M56 Chassis.

m79 bennng.jpg

m60 benning0001.jpg

m56 chassie 106mm rifle.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, patches said:

emoticon laugh.png

10 hours ago, seanmc1114 said:

A Marine Corps PFC and his platoon sergeant on maneuvers at Camp Pendleton, CA in 1965.

3A0AC760-F140-4980-8D53-1AA9ECEC1DD7.jpeg

D5EB9004-89D4-4D3A-8323-5FC9304B9DC9.jpeg

Correction. I believe the location was Camp Henderson.