The use of foliage as additional helmet camo.

Sabrejet

Foliage and then some. The same GIs of the 24th Div as in post #258, as we see in the close up there with their helmets, we see now they are in a truck and have not only covered their helmets but their whole truck. This was a very good photo find, cause I for one always seen the close of up them in a coupe of books over the years, never knew of this one where the truck is seen.

post-34986-0-17432200-1570580122_thumb.jpg

attachicon.gif6951_900.jpg

Sergeant Harry Brannon, Manchu Vietnam has no cover at all on his pot, but as we see has used vehicle scrim held by his band.

Brannon of C Co 4th of the 9th Inf 25th Div didn't make it, he made the Supreme Sacrifice in August 1966.

http://www.virtualwall.org/db/BrannonHG01a.htm

Brannon_Harry_G_DOB_1936.jpg

Found another photo of Harry, one taken in Basic, Brannon was apparently drafted when he was 22 in 1958, they drafted other guys back then, he apparently decides to stay in the Army and make a career in it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Cap Camouflage Pattern I

It looks like is a piece from a stylish curtain, or a piece of material from a sofa.

post-1761-0-33853700-1458739099.jpg

This is SSG Daniel Boylan of A Troop, 3rd Squadron, 4th Cavalry Regiment, 25th ID in 1969

post-153751-0-15934000-1574803730.jpg

Sgt. David O Olsen, also of A Troop, 3rd Squadron, 4th Cavalry Regiment, 25th ID with the same helmet in 1969

The material is actually a crazy pair of shorts

post-153751-0-24308000-1574804247.jpg

• 1 month later...

Two for Tonight.

A Rather Atypical application of foliage in Vietnam, troops of one of the battalions of the 1st Inf Div at the start of Operation Billings in June 1967 wait to board helicopters, the camouflaging of helmets we've seen already in Vietnam in this topic, but this is the first think of packs being done, packs of whatever type they're wearing. This method is something seen among the NVA and VC Main Force rather than U.S. Troops right. They no doubt will have to take off their packs to sit in the choppers, so this might cause a lot of these big broad leaves not only on their packs but also on their helmets to become undone and swirl around inside the compartment of the chopper right, which might be a hazzard!

post-34986-0-74435400-1579063761_thumb.jpg

Two for Tonight.

A Rather Atypical application of foliage in Vietnam, troops of one of the battalions of the 1st Inf Div at the start of Operation Billings in June 1967 wait to board helicopters, the camouflaging of helmets we've seen already in Vietnam in this topic, but this is the first think of packs being done, packs of whatever type they're wearing. This method is something seen among the NVA and VC Main Force rather than U.S. Troops right. They no doubt will have to take off their packs to sit in the choppers, so this might cause a lot of these big broad leaves not only on their packs but also on their helmets to become undone and swirl around inside the compartment of the chopper right, which might be a hazzard!

attachicon.gifrsz_1rsz_billngs_1st_dv_june_670001.jpg

The exception being that they may have already landed in an LZ thats not hot and are preparing to move out on foot somewhere....?

The exception being that they may have already landed in an LZ thats not hot and are preparing to move out on foot somewhere....?

Well as a general rule, flying into LZ's Hot or Cold Birds didn't tarry long, the risk of enemy fire, note two things, one, see how the Birds are in a line, they don't look like there ready to take off any time soon, landing on an LZ would be one by one, if not, two by twos or three by threes and not in a line but staggered, and then they drop off the stick and move off, even if it was two or three birds at the time, two, if these grunts just landed, they would of moved well off the LZ not like they are here sitting around, photo is one taken at one of the 1st Division's Base Camps, Lai Khe maybe. This from Post #208 in this topic, the wearing or applying of foliage on the helmets before boarding a Bird was done, not common though we should think.

post-34986-0-97464700-1485572397.jpg

Well as a general rule, flying into LZ's Hot or Cold Birds didn't tarry long, the risk of enemy fire, note two things, one, see how the Birds are in a line, they don't look like there ready to take off any time soon, landing on an LZ would be one by one, if not, two by twos or three by threes and not in a line but staggered, and then they drop off the stick and move off, even if it was two or three birds at the time, two, if these grunts just landed, they would of moved well off the LZ not like they are here sitting around, photo is one taken at one of the 1st Divisions Base Camps, Lai Khe maybe. This from Post #208 in this topic, the wearing or applying of foliage on the helmets before boarding a Bird was done, not common though we should think.

post-34986-0-97464700-1485572397.jpg

Found one more photo of the Big Red One at Lai Khe here a Ground Guide guides the Birds in for a landing along one of the dirt roads at the base, Think this one is Operation Manhattan in April 1967, Birds will sit there as the troops come along and board.

caladex.jpg

Cool pictures Patches, thank you for posting them. Im familiar with airmobile operations as I flew as a grunt in peacetime in the late 80's on many a huey flight Well over 30 round trips. once in a while they landed in line and parked em and things were casual. Like if they wanted to brief us on safety or something. Most of the time they landed and we ran out got on and they took off. Flew to another area dropped us off and picked us up later in a different area..... where we'd run out climb aboard and take off.

Since they are all in a line and have leaves on their rucks.... I figure they are getting ready to move out on foot from a secure area...? Since I was not in a war and not getting shot at, I had a lot of fun in the hueys!!!

You never approached a huey from the rear or run around the back. Death can result.

I have read many first-person accounts by Marines that served in the Pacific during WWII and, of those that mention it, all said that they did not put foliage on their helmets because the Japanese did it and they did not want to be mistaken for an enemy soldier.

Cool pictures Patches, thank you for posting them. Im familiar with airmobile operations as I flew as a grunt in peacetime in the late 80's on many a huey flight Well over 30 round trips. once in a while they landed in line and parked em and things were casual. Like if they wanted to brief us on safety or something. Most of the time they landed and we ran out got on and they took off. Flew to another area dropped us off and picked us up later in a different area..... where we'd run out climb aboard and take off.

Since they are all in a line and have leaves on their rucks.... I figure they are getting ready to move out on foot from a secure area...? Since I was not in a war and not getting shot at, I had a lot of fun in the hueys!!!

You never approached a huey from the rear or run around the back. Death can result.

All I ever flew in was Huey's (And Chinooks of course), at Hood and Alaska, never seen a Blackhawk, of course if I stayed in longer I would of.

Check out this topic on Huey's, lots of photos.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/179725-white-red-222nd-aviation-battalion-huey-alaska-1982/

Two for Tonight.

attachicon.gifrsz_1rsz_billngs_1st_dv_june_670001.jpg

If they were going on a combat assault, I do not believe they would remove their rucksacks in the helicopters.

We wore our rucks... Just pushes yur rear towards the edge of the seat.

You have that belt around you but the centrifigal force in turns keeps you in your seat even if you didnt have a belt on.

Patches.... those are wild colors on those army hueys!!! Never saw them painted like that. Pretty cool!!

I never got to ride in a blackhawk either. Just hueys and a few flights on the chinook.

In the chinook, I never knew choppers could fly so high up.

• 4 weeks later...

First Lieutenant James Hair (right) points something out to Secretary of the Army Frank Pace (second from left, in civilian clothes) during Pace's visit to a military base in Grafenwohr, Germany. Major General Thomas A. Timberman, 1st Infantry Division Commanding General (left), and Lieutenant General Manton S. Eddy, Commanding General of the Seventh Army (partly obscured by Pace) are also present. 1952.

post-1761-0-87824600-1581347832_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

post-34986-0-70356100-1584418831.jpg

A couple of GIs from the 98th Chemical Mortar Battalion, where one of them wears foliage, maybe shoved into the Camo Band which was worn starting in 1945 in the Pacific, the band usually by itself without the net, or maybe he was one who got the net?? Photo,The Philippines 1945.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
seanmc1114

Maj. Gen. Ken Simpson, Assistant Division Commander, 7th Infantry Division (Light) and LT. COL. Stikeleather, Commander, 62nd Air Defense Artillery, 7th Infantry Division (Light) case the unit colors at Fort Ord, California.

Helmet Foliage.7th Infantry Division.Fort Ord.jpg

• 2 months later...

Wide Mesh Helmet Nets and Grass, and the M41 OD HBTs. Trainees at the Camp Croft SC  Infantry Replacement Training Center sometime the late summer of 1942

bghh.jpg