The use of foliage as additional helmet camo.

Sabrejet

American infantrymen crowd into a mud-filled bomb crater and look up at tall jungle trees seeking out Viet Cong snipers firing at them during a battle in Phuoc Vinh, north-Northeast of Saigon in Vietnam’s War Zone D, June 15, 1967

post-117117-0-63792800-1531476313_thumb.jpg

US troops take cover in the hills near An Thi, along the central coast of south Vietnam, after day-long fighting in Operation Masher, 29 January 1966.

post-117117-0-14495800-1531476734_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...
the whisky drinker

American infantrymen crowd into a mud-filled bomb crater and look up at tall jungle trees seeking out Viet Cong snipers firing at them during a battle in Phuoc Vinh, north-Northeast of Saigon in Vietnams War Zone D, June 15, 1967

Off topic a wee bit, apologies.

Is the GI bottom left holding an M16a1/XM177 Carbine with the elusive handguard fabricated from a used 57mm recoiless rifle round??

Only seen one photo before that was taken at a arms dump outside of Saigon.

post-159869-0-52872800-1538160624.jpg

the whisky drinker

Please ignore my previous post!!!

Realised that it could be an M16 with a XM148 grenade launcher attachment.

Didn't notice another in the photo propped up on the ground above him.

Back to the original thread guy's

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Please ignore my previous post!!!

Realised that it could be an M16 with a XM148 grenade launcher attachment.

Didn't notice another in the photo propped up on the ground above him.

Back to the original thread guy's

Very interesting, I assume that hand guard was improvised by the Vietnamese, who even still use captured M16s. Seems unlikely to me that it was done by an american, although the rule with Vietnam is never say never. As for the photo, that is certainly an XM148 hangaurd, you can see the XM149 below it. Also interesting in the scrap pile picture is the moderator has been replaced with a birdcage flash hider. This was fairly commonly done by US troops because the moderator would eventually gum up rending it useless, and there was no way to clean it.

One of my BCT pictures from 1984. We were thought to hang the back 3 flaps of the cover out to help break up our shape. Field pants due to cold wet weather. Gen 1 BDU. Cool mix of 56 and 67 plus some new LC1 webbing. Ft McClellan.

IMG_2843.jpg

night winds lyrics

One of my BCT pictures from 1984. We were thought to hang the back 3 flaps of the cover out to help break up our shape. Field pants due to cold wet weather. Gen 1 BDU. Cool mix of 56 and 67 plus some new LC1 webbing. Ft McClellan.

IMG_2843.jpg

night winds lyrics

Nice Autumn leaves, though the fella in the left forground could of used a lot more leaves on his pot. the one next to him too :D

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_2843.jpg

Nice pic !

Unusual all round.

Thanks for posting.

owen

Note he is wearing full color sleeve rank insignia with subdued pin on rank insignia on the helmet.

Note he is wearing full color sleeve rank insignia with subdued pin on rank insignia on the helmet.

Yes I made a note of that when I posted it in the 60s Corporal topic over in. RANKS

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
The Rooster

90% of the training I was in took place in the woods. If you cammo up you need to do a good job of it.

Putting foiliage and or burlap is a great idea as well as loosening the back flaps of the cover. Cammo on your gear and weapon helps too.

But if you dont bother to cammo your face and cover your neck with a geen sling and button the color on your

shirt and wear black gloves... then you still stand out. Parts that are left bare stand out. Strikingly.

INMHO. Thats what Ive noticed and seen. You have to do it all the way.

However in this day and age.. I would hink every US Infantry soldier needs a thermal cloak as standard equipment.

A thermal blanket covered by a cloth burlap like ghillie suit on the outside.

Especially to protect against detection by thermal and flir.

Im thinking every soldier will need one. Issued.

If I was still in, I'd purchase or make my own.

• 3 weeks later...