Flak Helmet and Decals

USAF29thINFvet

USAF29thINFvet

I have the chance to buy a flak helmet but the ear pieces have swatika decals on them......Anyone know if this is something airmen did during WWII?

thanks

Brian

I remember coming across a helmet on ebay that also had swastikas on the ear cups. I did a little research and came across one tidbit where the soldiers would do that to mark their kills. I'm not sure how much fact is behind that information, but was all I could gather.

i'am not sure about this but they do a lot of crazy thinks in the war white helmets have you some foto's of the helmet

regards danny

Guy's think about this for a second. We are in WWII and we don't have the liberal mind set then that we do now. Nobody is protesting for the other side like we have today. So ask yourselves, "where and who is going to make a swastika decal"? Kills were marked in front of the gunners position on the aircraft or on the nose along with the bomb strike tallies.

Gary

• 7 months later...

After WWII and well into the early 1960s one could find these helmets pictured in the back of magazines. Decals were applied by dealer to make them more appealing to kids. At the time they sold for under $10.