WWII lightweight mountain rucksack?

hawkdriver

Guy sold this as a WWII lightweight 10th Mountain, mountain rucksack. Don't know if that is true, but it definitely isn't the normal rucksack.

The back part

1zm041g.jpg

The wool padded straps

9azj38.jpg

Top of the flap

14o7gnl.jpg

Front of pack

2zs5i8m.jpg

Detail of zipper, same as early compass pouches

id68lx.jpg

post-2549-1323742936.jpg

Hawk-

What you have there is just the first model of the standard Mountain Rucksack, which was revised to the larger, familiar version in 1942; yours is missing the removable flap closure strap, but that's not uncommon with these, and that's a very clean pack :thumbsup: The flap stays put over the top center of the pack much better when it is hooked to the pouch than it does with the long strap, and numerous photos of this Rucksack in use by soldiers feature it rigged this way.

Here is an authoritative link on W.W.II Rucksacks:

http://www.mountaintroops.us/history_rucksack.html

Agreed

I own a couple of the first model and both have the solid galvanized wire frame,zip pocket and padded shoulder straps.I have even seen the second model (the one we all comonly see) with a wire frame ocassionally.Dont know if you would call it a transitional or just the makers utilizeing parts on hand or a surplus store creation after the war.I have ran into a dozen or so over the years but never bought one.

Cobrahistorian

Nice 1st pattern there Steve! I'll concur with my esteemed colleagues. These rucks are considerably more difficult to find than the standard M1942 pattern.

I was going to turn this one, but am thinking I may go ahead and keep it. Just picked up a M-1918 Au Lion trench knife and need to get that funding paid off, looking like I will need to sell something else now :think:

• 4 years later...

Where is the maker and date ink stamp normally located on this pack? I have an identical style pack and cant find the ink stamps on it anywhere.

Bob

I just checked 4 of mine. They are all stamped under the main flap near the snap. 2 of them are very faintly marked and 2 are real clear.

Thanks again Robin. I have looked where you suggested on the pack and I see no trace of an ink stamp. I used natural light and magnification and cant even see a hint of the ink stamp. I guess this pack may have gotten out of the factory without being marked.

Bob