1934 China Marine with a WWI cover EGA

kanemono

A while ago I sent Dirk a picture of my Uncle who served in China from 1934-1938, when he saw the picture his comment was "It does look like he is wearing an earlier EGA (WWI?) pattern on his hat.....I wonder if that is correct?". I enlarged the EGA's and it is a WWI EGA on his cover in both photographs. Here are pictures of the enlarged EGA's the set or EGA's he gave me and the original photographs. Also, here is a page from his records that show the ornaments issued to him by the USMC.

post-9487-1323730159.jpg

post-9487-1323730178.jpg

post-9487-1323730197.jpg

Anyone out there know if the WWI era cover EGA is common for the late 1930's? I am just curious about a subject (EGA's) I know very little about.

Dick

Dick,

I would say that this version, at that time period was uncommon. However not really surprising. Some of these EGA versions have 20-30 years of service life with only differences in manufacture and material. If one was to see me, I wear 90 year old EGAs on my dress collar and hat. As your Uncle's history can attest, he was quite a "collector" of things. Am I not right? What's to say a Marine in the 1930's or 1940's didnt appreciate older EGA patterns as I do?

S/F,

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks, I was just curious. My Uncle certainly was a "collector". I am tempted to post his history, it would make very very interesting reading. From the photos I think the cover EGA may be issued. The photo of him with the white cover, without shooting badges, might be right out of boot camp.

Dick

Here he is on his first leave home. This is from a small image so I am not sure if you can tell what EGA is on the cover.

Dick

post-9487-1324146823.jpg