Marking on USMC hbt

Matthew

Here is something that I'd like to have identified as it's meaning has stumped me for a long time. It is on the back of a WWII Marine hbt. Does anyone know what E-8 means?

post-1789-1196994361.jpg

Here is something that I'd like to have identified as it's meaning has stumped me for a long time. It is on the back of a WWII Marine hbt. Does anyone know what E-8 means?

it may have been his rank: E-8 is master sgt.

jeremiahcable
it may have been his rank: E-8 is master sgt.

I believe in WW2 an E-8 was a Sgt Major or it's technical equivilant. There was no E-3 Lance Corporal then so you have to shift everything down one above PFC.

I believe in WW2 an E-8 was a Sgt Major or it's technical equivilant. There was no E-3 Lance Corporal then so you have to shift everything down one above PFC.

The last HBT shirt I had with a name stenciled on the back was from the Korean era or sometime after that. The Master Sergeants were E7 until 1958 when the E8 and E9 paygrades were authorized. HBT's were still being worn then and I could see someone at pretty uch the pinnacle of enlisted rank would stencil on their shirt (if you were an E5, for example, you might not do that in hopes you'd ke E6 someday)

Marines did not use any current type pay-grades in WWII. They used the rank. It is only recently that Marines talk about paygrades.....but still not like the Army, I hope.

I would suggest that 'E-8' might refer to Easy Co, 8th Marines (2ndMarDiv).

Semper Fi....Bobgee

I would suggest that 'E-8' might refer to Easy Co, 8th Marines (2ndMarDiv).

Semper Fi....Bobgee

Very interesting, because this same hbt is also stenciled with the 2nd Marine Division insignia. I should also mention that the name and E-8 are also stenciled on the inside.

post-1789-1197027331.jpg

Greg Robinson
Very interesting, because this same hbt is also stenciled with the 2nd Marine Division insignia. I should also mention that the name and E-8 are also stenciled on the inside.

THAT'S IT!!!!!!! Since company names never repeated within an Infantry Regiment and it's been ID'd to the 8th Marines then the Battalion number (2, in this case) would be redundant. There was only one "Easy" Company within the 8th Marines. But I don't believe that 2nd Marine Division marking was authorized since during WW2 they coded units with "UNIS" symbols.

They sometimes did put the rank designation above the UNIS symbol. I don't think it was called "pay grade" back then but they still sometimes used numbers to designate rank, i.e. 1= Private, 2= Corporal, etc

Kurt Barickman

Definitely E-1-8th Marines, which were part of the 2nd Division. I love that shirt!! thumbsup.gif

Kurt Barickman

Definitely E-1-8th Marines, which were part of the 2nd Division. I love that shirt!! thumbsup.gif

Kurt Barickman

Very cool, yes.

The markings on Marine shirts, especially the HBT's really seemed to vary a lot over the years and I wonder if there were specific guidelines or merely "suggestions?"

I have seen HBT shirts from one guy marked with the name on the back (but no unit info) marked with small letters over the EGA, marked with large letters over the EGA and not marked at all on the inside.

Likewise with rank: I've seen them with stenciled insignia, clear signs that collar insignia had been pinned on, and no signs at all of rank insignia.

I had never seen an HBT shirt with division insignia until this thread came along.

My own view is that during the period post WWII through the late at least 1950's the regs on utility uniforms were loosely interpreted and there was a not a lot of spit and polish involved. I have had several pieces with very crude field repairs that continued to worn n duty. This pair of trousers is a classic example. Like many other HBT shirts and pants of the period (1950's) it carries the name of a previous owner plus the new owner's, plus repairs (and I know for a fact these were worn like this on active duty):

pendaspants1006abackcu.jpg

Here's a shirt with two names:

pdshirt1006bega.jpg

Sometimes the first and middle initials came before the last name (Most pants and shirts I see do not have markings on the back);

pendasshirt0915aback.jpg

I am pretty sure that this coat was worn during the occupation of Japan at the end of the war. They of course did not allow any such insignia to be worn in combat, and I recall somewhere in the cobwebs of my mind seeing this stenciled patch on another uniform that was known to have been worn in Japan occupation.

Regarding the condition of utility uniforms in use, we all know that the Marines never throw anything out and I have seen some incredibly salty and beat up examples uniforms and equipment of all periods that were certainly worn in service. This does not apply to dress uniforms though!

CB

I really appreciate all the info on this as the meaning of E-8 has bugged me for awhile. This is one of the best HBTs that I own, and now with the additional information I appreciate it even more. Thanks a lot, everyone.

Stenciled, marked HBTs are always cool! I'm not sure if this jacket is the same the Glenn shows in his book?

If it is not, that means two 2nd MarDiv coats are out there. Most you find are almost always 4MarDiv so when you find anyother outfit, it is special.

usmc-collector

Marines of First Battalion, First Marine Regiment, Korea 1952

Both marines from same unit, interesting handwritten markings on back. Click pictures for detail. JAROSLAV

A.) name and service number handwritten on back

post-31-1197234941.jpg

B.) interesting sign in Korean letters on back

post-31-1197234962.jpg

Greg Robinson
Marines of First Battalion, First Marine Regiment, Korea 1952

Both marines from same unit, interesting handwritten markings on back. Click pictures for detail. JAROSLAV

A.) name and service number handwritten on back

B.) interesting sign in Korean letters on back

That is interesting....I own a salty old P44 dungaree shirt that has a Korean War era service number and the Marine's name plis unit and his home town handwritten on the back in white paint. He was in "C" 2/1.

Greg

Armed 2 tha Teeth
Stenciled, marked HBTs are always cool! I'm not sure if this jacket is the same the Glenn shows in his book?

If it is not, that means two 2nd MarDiv coats are out there. Most you find are almost always 4MarDiv so when you find anyother outfit, it is special.

Glenn does have one example in his book, here's a picture I found online of one being worn. Most likely occupation of Japan or later.

2ndMarDivFStenciledJacket.jpg