Disney character patches

PATCHRAT

I have a set of these little patches each of the 3 comes in blue, white and yellow. I have been told and have seen them advertised as premiums given to kids for collecting scrap metal. Does anyone know if this is true? I have also seen them advertised as premiums given away by BOND BREAD in the late 40's. Could this be similar to the Air Corp patches given away in cereal during the early 50's. In which case they could be War era premiums for scrap metal drives or some thing

post-1604-1196993066.jpg

Hello.

I've seen them referenced as scrap drive patches numerous time son eBay. In 15 years of collecting Disney WW II stuff and another 10 on top of that collecting pre-1945 Disney memorabilia, I have never come across any reference to back this claim up.

I have also seen them advertised as the bread premium and I think that is in fact what they are.

thanks for quick response. I also have never seen any proof of the scrap drive claim. Any idea if the designs were authorized to be used by any one? Assuming they are bread premiums we should be able to see an add or some one out there might remember getting them.

I recall reading many years ago there was a circa 1946 or so ad for the bread company that featured them...but I have never personally seen one.

craig_pickrall

You also mentioned Air Corps patches in ceral boxes. I am old enough to remember this. It was Kelloggs that had these premiums and they weren't just Air Corps but many different Army patches. I can not remember if they included other branches as well. It was in 3 or 4 different flavors of ceral and the boxes were special marked. On the backs there were insignia layouts for ID'ing the different patches. I probably ate more ceral during that period than any other time in my life. I also had family, friends and neighbors saving patches for me.

Craig-- Any chance you remember a bread advertisement for these patches or seeing them around? Someone went through the trouble of producing a series of them in different colors. And now several dealers sell them as scrap metal drive premiums and later BOND Bread premiums. So I wonder where this information is coming from. If Disneydave has no information on them I can't believe they were related to the war effort.