American Web Equipment 1967-1991

sgtmonroe

Dang...I missed a business opportunity there! We've had the book in the UK since early January. I should've bought a bunch of them and then offered them for sale on the forum...with a modest mark-up per copy of course! :lol:

I got my book today I got my book today. Wow this is great congrats guys. OK enough writing back to the book :)

Bob

craig_pickrall

Thanks for the kind comments. I am happy to hear that at least one has been delivered in the US.

The Meatcan

O Happy Day!

My copy showed up Satuday. I only had time for a quick flip through it and quickly realized my hopes and expectations have been met. I'm planning to read through it all as soon as I get the time.

Excellent job, gentlemen!

Terry

O Happy Day!

My copy showed up Satuday. I only had time for a quick flip through it and quickly realized my hopes and expectations have been met. I'm planning to read through it all as soon as I get the time.

Excellent job, gentlemen!

Terry

You lucky dog!

My life SUCKS! Mine did NOT show up Saturday. :crying:

Maybe Monday...

craig_pickrall

Thank you for the banner FS. It looks great.

Sgtmonroe told me today that the publisher reported copies are in the US as of last Friday. They should be ready for immediate shipment finally.

Thanks to everyone that has already purchased a book or made a nice comment.

Thanks to all that have commented on the book so far. The past couple of months have been trying, due to the book not getting to the states in a timely manner.

I, again, wish to thank those forum members that contributed to the book. Without their help it would not be what it is. I believe we have gotten copies to all of you guys at this point.

I will have some more copies of the book, hopefully soon, to sell. A number of forum members have contacted me about purchasing signed copies...so as soon as I can get the additional ones from the publisher I will let those that have asked know when they will be available.

The whole project, which started back in April of 2010, has been a labor of love (for both Craig and I) and I sincerely hope the book will help those researchers and collectors that are interested in the subject matter!

I got my copy in today! :thumbsup: I have skimmed through it and like it so far. Looking forward to sitting down tonight and having a good look at it.

craig_pickrall

Happy to hear you guys are actually receiving books now. They are a little over due but the pipe line finally got full.

The Meatcan

I'm about half way through and am suffering from "Acronym Fatigue"! :lol:

It's been a great read though and I really like how the FSNs are used to absolutely positively nail down specific items.

My only nit to pick thus far is that I wish there was more information in a typical photo caption. Just something like, "Note plastic snaps" or "Note direction of stitching" or similar type comments. It's sometimes easier to read those nuggets of info directly in a short caption rather than search the paragraphs of text for a quick key piece of info. A personal quibble I'm sure and offered in the spirit of constructive feedback.

I'd definitely give the book 4 stars and would enthusiastically recommend it to anyone. :thumbsup:

Terry

I'm about half way through and am suffering from "Acronym Fatigue"!

While I have to admit there are a lot of acronyms in the actual text, this was a necessary evil. We were given a strict "word count" we had to abide by. So we had to figure out ways to keep as much text in the book and still provide as much detailed, and accurate, information as possible.

The image captions were written last and were included in the "word count", which is why they are not as detailed as some books. We had already met our "word count" with the text when I was informed by our editor that the image captions were included in the "word count"...which led to alot of frustration on our part!

We had to make A LOT of compromises with the book due to the "word count". My original first draft was nearly five times as long as what is presented. We had to cut alot of text, and some equipment items, from the book just to get everything to fit. That is not to say what is presented is not worthy of publication. We provided as much as we could to make the information as inclusive as possible in the format allotted.

What I did not add to the above comment is, basically, the publishing company is geared more towards "picture books" and not historical texts. And as such they do not allow for a combination of "wordy text" and "wordy image captions"...it is a kind of "one or the other". We elected for "wordy text".

The Meatcan
My original first draft was nearly five times as long...

WOW! that would have been a killer book! :w00t:

thanks for the explanatory reply. I'll be looking forward to your next book too!

Terry

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I did receive it this morning and I'm impressed. A truly terrific and useful book. Sgt Monroe and Mr. Pickrall..... thanks for your contribution: you gentlemen did a great job!