American Web Equipment 1967-1991

sgtmonroe

For those members of the forum that may have an interest in the subject matter...Craig Pickrall and I have the "follow up" to Martin Brayley's American Web Equipment 1910-1967 coming out 23 January 2012.

Just some quick information about the book. The format is different than Brayley's book. We concentrated on the development of the items from testing to cancellation instead of just presenting descriptions of the items. The title is a bit misleading as the material really begins with the development of the lightweight rucksack in 1961 and covers major nylon individual equipment developments up to and including the M-1967 nylon equipments. The M-1967 section is not a "rehash" of Brayley's work - but instead presents new material.

Craig and I did make a point to consult as many knowledgeable individuals as possible, unfortunately my number two "go to guy" only appears as the dedication due to his untimely passing. This gap was filled by the invaluable assistance of US CANTEEN GURU and Brett at Vietnamgear.com.

Other individuals, members of this forum, that deserve the highest praise for their assistance include: alexd, bheskett, Keystone, nkomo, sogmanjoe, and taucco. These forum members unselfishly provided items from their collection or assisted with the book in other ways.

Here is a run-down of the contents:

AMERICAN WEB EQUIPMENT 1967-1991

• INTRODUCTION: From Cotton To Nylon
  • PART I: LOAD-CARRYING EQUIPMENT DEVELOPMENTS 1961 - 1973
    • Rucksack, Lightweight (Section 1)
    • Cover, Canteen, Collapsible, 2 Quart Capacity (Section 2)
    • Rucksack, Tropical (Section 3)
    • Vest, Ammunition Carrying, For M79 And M203 Launchers (Section 4)
    • Cover, Water Canteen, 2-Quart, Collapsible (With Pile Lining) (Section 5)
    • Case, Small Arms Ammunition (Nylon), 30 Round Magazine (Section 6)
    • Carrier, Grenade, M-26 (Section 7)
    • STABO Extraction System, Personnel (Section 8)
    • Bladder Assembly, Flotation (Section 9)
    • Pocket, Ammunition Magazine (Section 9)

[*]PART II: M-1956 LIGHTWEIGHT LOAD-CARRYING EQUIPMENT (nylon)

[*]PART III: M-1967 LIGHTWEIGHT LOAD-CARRYING EQUIPMENT

[*]PART IV: LIGHTWEIGHT INDIVIDUAL CLOTHING AND EQUIPMENT (LINCLOE)

[*]PART V: M-1972 INDIVIDUAL LIGHTWEIGHT LOAD-CARRYING EQUIPMENT

[*]PART VI: ALL-PURPOSE LIGHTWEIGHT INDIVIDUAL CARRYING EQUIPMENT

[*]PART VII: LOAD-CARRYING EQUIPMENT DEVELOPMENTS 1974 - 1991

• Carrier, Rifle Ammunition
    • Field Pack, Training
    • Case, Small Arms, Ammunition, 200-Round Magazine
    • Pocket, Ammunition Magazine, 9mm
    • Belt, Individual Equipment

[*]PART VIII: INDIVIDUAL INTEGRATED FIGHTING SYSTEM

[*]ACRONYMS / GLOSSARY / BIBLIOGRAPHY

Here is the Amazon link for those that are interested in pre-order/purchasing the book:

For those that are on Facebook, here is the "official" Facebook page for the book:

Good news.

I remember how much Gordon Rottman's publications on the same subject were criticized at late gunboards.com by many forumers and such a guru as Carter Rila among others. Finally the collectors will receive professional book prepared by the best experts and noted collectors.

:thumbsup:

Thank you for the kind words.

I remember how much Gordon Rottman's publications on the same subject were criticized at late gunboards.com by many forumers and such a guru as Carter Rila among others.

In 1987 Carter had prepared a manuscript for a book entitled Accoutrements Of The U.S. Army 1921-1985. Of course it was never published but he did provide the manuscript to Shelby Stanton for his book U.S. Army Uniforms Of The Vietnam War. Stanton used some of Carter's research for his book. For the few years I corresponded with Carter he provided me with information pertinant to the areas I was researching that were in his manuscript. Some of the information included in our book is derrived from some of Carter's early research. Those that knew him will probably agree that it is a shame he never got around to getting his material published before his passing.

Corpsmancollector

Congratulations gents, very well done! Not my particular area of interest but I wish you all the best with the success of the book, I'm sure it will be immensely popular!

Will

General Apathy
Congratulations gents, very well done! Not my particular area of interest but I wish you all the best with the success of the book, I'm sure it will be immensely popular!

Will

I echo the thoughts of Will here, not my particular area of interest but very well done and all the best for future sales and being recognised as a worthy book and content of items and information. :thumbsup:

ken

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks guys for the encouraging comments. I hope we do not disappoint. Craig and I received pre-publication copies a few weeks ago and for the most part everything looks good. Of course, anyone that has written a book will know some of the pitfalls. There are some issues with image placement that I had originally requested changes with (back during the proofing stage)...unfortunately these changes apparently fell on deaf ears.

There are some minor typographical errors which, according to most manuals of style, need not be addressed until subsequent editions. But there were a couple of errors, not attributed to Craig or I, which appear to be nothing more than a few words left out of sentences when the book was typeset. These may, or may not, lead to some confusion. In keeping with the spirit of this THREAD, started by RustyCanteen, I have prepared an errata (albeit a short one) for those that would be interested. Just PM me.

Not sure now when the book will be officially "published" - originally the publisher gave us a date of 23 January (which shows on Amazon UK), but Amazon US shows 21 January. The publisher's website now shows the publication date of 06 January. Go figure!

• 1 month later...

We still do not have a solid US release date. For those that are interested Amazon has the "Look Inside" feature enabled and you can view the Introduction to the book. On Crowood's website (our publisher) you can view the first four pages after the Introduction...which covers the Lightweight Rucksack, Two-Quart (Film Bladder) Canteen Cover, and part of the section on the Tropical Rucksack. These are enough preview pages to give those that are "on the fence" (about purchasing the book) a decent enough look at the material.

• 2 weeks later...
The Meatcan

got a note from Amazon today saying they have FINALLY shipped my copy!

I feel like a kid on Christmas eve! :lol:

Terry