WW2 Poncho

Johan Willaert

Johan Willaert

Can anyone post pictures of WW2 dated US Army ponchos?

Were they all of the rubberised type ( similar to the EM's raincoats)? or were some already in a kind of nylon???

I understand WW2 ponchos came without a hood, but with a drawstring...

Thanks

Johan

I know minw has just a drawstring with no hood. The material is different than raincoats. I can't find my pictures of it so will try and take new ones and post. Robert

Johan Willaert
post-551-1323629312.jpg

heres the best I can do wit the stamp. Robert

Thanks Robert! From what I read it is the later Lightweight type, made out of some kind of nylon?

post-551-1323629569.jpgpost-551-1323629629.jpg

Here's the poncho. It slicker/shineier than the raincoats. Robert

my son whom has better eyes than me was able to read the stamping. It tells you how to use it as a shelterhalf also

craig_pickrall

Here are a few more pics of the same type that Robert has. The outside of these has a finish similar to oil cloth. It is a dull OD with just a little texture to it. The inside is smooth rubber finish. There is a high collar with a draw string. The USMC model is more complicated having a closure flap with snaps. The USMC issued a hat made of OD poncho material with their ponchos and this continued into the Vietnam era. As far as I know the Army never issued a similar hat.They did add a hood to the poncho fairly quickly so that eliminated the need for the hat. The label is dark blue on dull OD rubber and not very friendly to photograph. I tried a couple more shots and hope you can read them.

I am pretty sure I have one of the other style ponchos too but I was unable to find it. Lord only knows what box I stuck it in. I may never see it again.

First is the USMC rain hat and then the Army poncho.

post-5-1323651681.jpg

post-5-1323651688.jpg

post-5-1323651718.jpg

post-5-1323651724.jpg

post-5-1323651731.jpg

post-5-1323651739.jpg

post-5-1323651745.jpg

Johan Willaert

Thanks Craig! Yours seems to be marked Regular Weight while Robert's is Lightweight

I'm currently looking at an early rubberised (resin coated?) example to ad to my collection.

The only marking there is to be found on one of the corners on the inside and says

US

Manufacturer

These resin coated ones are extremely rare over here... and since no-one came up with one on the board, I gather there they are too...

Johan

Johan Willaert

How about a poncho with the marking below....

It's a text in a box stamped in one of the corners and it describes three purposes of the poncho...

Part of the text is:

MULTIPURPOSE PONCHO

RAIN GARMENT and GROUND SHEET

BLANKET or SLEEPING BAG COVER

TENT

There is another box with text, Mfr info and Inspector stamped near the neck opening on the inside but I cannot read it anymore... The poncho has no hood either...

Any ideas???

post-92-1323706270.jpg

norwegian blue

hello Johan

the last one you've shown is definitely a WW2 pattern. I don't know if these were made after 1945, in the interval before the hooded Korean War type.

I have both patterns (nylon and resin coated and I'll post pictures tomorrow). These are pretty rare in Europe, but I'd say the nylon one is even scarcer. I only found mine on EBay a few years ago. The QMC history says these were the original design because they were lighter but at the time Nylon was earmarked for the USAAF so manufacturers has to make do with resin coated materials as they did for raincoats. A very cool piece of equipment, not really appreciated by collectors here as it is construed as a late-war/Pacific item. I'd be interested in period photos of it worn in the ETO!

craig_pickrall

I think one reason the early resin coated poncho and raincoat is so rare is they got very stiff and brittle. I suspect those that survived the war then got thrown away after getting stiff and unusable. I can't recall ever seeing either garment that was flexible.

norwegian blue

and a comparison of materials, resin coated at top and nylon at bottom

the nylon poncho has some silver finish hardware that corrodes, nylon poncho is assembled by seams, whereas resin coated poncho is of cemented contruction

Hope this helps

post-1981-1323783737.jpg

norwegian blue

and out of curiosity, I just weighed both, the resin coated poncho is a hefty 1.4 kilos, and the nylon poncho is actually lightweight, at 860 grams!

Johan Willaert
and a comparison of materials, resin coated at top and nylon at bottom

the nylon poncho has some silver finish hardware that corrodes, nylon poncho is assembled by seams, whereas resin coated poncho is of cemented contruction

Hope this helps

post-1981-1323783737.jpg

Thanks! The one I already have is exactly like the lightweight model on your picture... It confirls mine is a WW2 model too...

Mike De Trez book about BobPiper has pictures showing 82AB men wearing ponchos in the Belgian Ardennes

• 8 months later...

I have one that is quite heavy no hood draw string and can not read date. It appears to be canvas and some type of plyable rubber. I have seen others stamped groundcloth and hallf tent.

• 3 years later...
phantomfixer

So bringing up an old thread to get verification...Found a 2/45 dated maybe 12/45, but looks to be 2/45 dated poncho...has a nylon/rubber inside and the outer is not...so it is a resin coated poncho not a lightweight poncho? either way it is going in my mussette bag for the Jeep...

the pic is of the inside corner...with lightly oxidized grommets..snaps are brass(?)

post-155518-0-45596200-1469150466.jpg

I think 20 bucks for that is a steal! I can't remember for sure but it seems like I paid close to a bill for my war 2 poncho. It's in mint shape but I seem to think it was not cheap.

You did very and picked up 2!