WOMEN'S NIS JACKET

navyman

Hi,

I got this jacket today. I really don't know much about this jacket or the patch. The jacket does have a tag from the National Recovery Board Suits and Coats company. From what information that I gather from the web is that this company use this style tag from the 1930's to the 1960's.

I'm guesing the US NIS insignia is for U.S. Naval Investigative Service.

1966 - NAVAL INVESTIGATIVE SERVICE

In February 1966 the name Naval Investigative Service (NIS) was adopted to distinguish the organization from the rest of ONI. Under the Director of Naval Intelligence, the new command consisted of only three functional organizations: the Director NIS and his headquarters staff; Naval Investigative Service Offices, each headed by a military commanding officer, and NIS Resident Agencies which were the basic operating components

I maybe wrong, but this is pretty small and that's why I was thinking this was for a women.

Has anyone see this patch before? Not 100% sure if I I.D.ed this one correctly.

Sorry for the horrible photo. Jacket has a bottom pocket on each side.

post-2501-1323555957.jpg

post-2501-1323556142.jpg

post-2501-1323556150.jpg

post-2501-1323556158.jpg

Jason

Now I may think this is not a women's jacket. There is no top pocket flaps. So I honestly don't know and I may of posted in the wrong area if it turns out not to be a women jacket.

Jason

Thanks for the reply Steve. I was thinking the uniform may be earlier than the 60's. But the NIS was the only thing I could find. I did post this jacket on a vintage clothes site. I'm hoping someone there can date it by the tag. Will let you know if I get a answer.

Jason

Now I may think this is not a women's jacket. There is no top pocket flaps. So I honestly don't know and I may of posted in the wrong area if it turns out not to be a women jacket.

Jason

The buttons are set on the left side so I think this would be a women's jacket?

Jason

The buttons are set on the left side so I think this would be a women's jacket?

Jason

Jason,

This is an interesting one. Honestly, I'm not sure what it is. Does it have Naval buttons? are they pre or post 1941?

My initial thought is it is some sort of jacket for a hostess organization (somehow affiliated with the Navy). In general cut, it looks earlier, rather than later, but its a little hard to tell from your photos.

During WW2, many, many organizations wore uniforms to show they were part of the War effort. This may be one of those?

Chris

Jason,

This is an interesting one. Honestly, I'm not sure what it is. Does it have Naval buttons? are they pre or post 1941?

My initial thought is it is some sort of jacket for a hostess organization (somehow affiliated with the Navy). In general cut, it looks earlier, rather than later, but its a little hard to tell from your photos.

During WW2, many, many organizations wore uniforms to show they were part of the War effort. This may be one of those?

Chris

Chris,

Has the post 1941 buttons. Will add more pictures. They should be better.

post-2501-1323617806.jpg

post-2501-1323617819.jpg

post-2501-1323617918.jpg

Jason

I'd have to go with the Navy affiliated civilian organization. The Naval Intel Service was again, eith civiilians who wore regualr civilian clothing or avtive duty who wore their standard USN uniforms, no sholder patch.

Steve Hesson

• 1 year later...

Bump this one back up, hoping a new member might know.

I agree that it's probably a civil oraganization maybe something like the U.S. Navy League

Jason