10 Pocket Pouch and Mine Fuzes

S McKibben

Hi guys,is this a grenade pouch or a ammo pouch?What era do you think its from??

Also found some fuzes in the bottom of a bag.Are these mine fuses or what would they be used for.

Thanks

Shawn

post-5730-1323469977.jpg

That's a WW1 US grenade pouch to be worn ont he chest. Some did get to Europe, but it esting they the troops hated them as they did not like the idea of lying on top of grenades. The one known photo of it there shows it being used to carry VB rifle grandes. They are staggeringly common.

The fuses are not linked to it, but any of them is worth mroe than the bag. without looking up nomenclature they are various booby trap type, probably WW2, and the two on the right are for the US equivalent of the German S mine.

post-6975-1323476812.jpgDagger,

Here's a mine with the 3 prong type fuse, the other 2 look to be pull or push type fuses. Can we get a side pic of the 2 small box type?

I think these boxes are tree or wood mounts for pull type fuzes.The insides look like the top of a grenade fuze with the spring and ignitor.

The other fuzes are Type 3 firing device pull release.

post-5730-1323477770.jpg

post-5730-1323477777.jpg

post-5730-1323478097.jpg

Marchville1918

I agree--it is a WW1 grenade vest and like others, I have never seen one that looked used. That many grenades would have been pretty heavy carried around the neck.

It would have made a lot more sense for the medics to carry bandages.

In the only two images of it being worn in WW1 that I have seen, it is worn over the shoulder like a bandolier, not around the neck. I understood this item to have been designed as a carrier for VB rifle grenades and was to be worn by the squad's rifle grenediers.