Fictional USN seaplane

48MMS

Wanted to share a picture that I've been working on of a fictional Navy seaplane, circa late 40's. (post WWII) It's what I do (drawing aircraft) to maintain a level of "sanity" during my unemployment.

post-1443-1323455261.jpg

The software is the microsoft paint utility, so very limited. I have in the past done profiles such as this F-16, done back in 1996, but it is difficult.

post-1443-1323457349.jpg

As it echoes the late 1940s Curtiss SC-1 and/or Edo OSE-1 (the last USN attempts at floatplanes, given the advent of heckolopiteers), how about the Hughes OSH-1? Or, if that is a Lycoming T-55 turboprop, maybe a North American (Rockwell)

AOJ-1?

Do any members recall Playboy magazine running illustrated articles (1980s?) of fictitious and bizaare military aircraft through the ages that were very funny and quite evocatively true of national aviation idiosyncrazies???

I once worked with a retired Navy aviator who inter alia had actually flown the SC-1. He was also a blimp pilot, a free-balloon instructor, a Neptune guy and (last PCS scheduled) a squadron cdr of the Martin Seamaster jet flying boats (to be at Wallops Island VA) (didn't happen). Maybe you could do a USN wing-in-ground beastie...

Yes! Very cool! It reminds me of a late war Curtis as well. Definitely needs one of those weird Navy designation!

Well Done!

Leonardo

Thank you all. I actually used Curtis aircraft as an inspiration. That's what is neat about fictional, you can tweek designs. The twin prop was an idea from planes like the Fairey Gannet that served with the Royal Navy. Drawing as I said is a great stress reliever.

It is also verging on the Douglas Skyshark A3D (turborprop, but bigger than that in the AT-28E) and the British Westland Wyvern.

How about "Sea Dragon" for a monicker, or "Sea Sepent", a la Cecil the Seasick Sea Serpent ?

We and the Brits fooled around with turboprop designs (combat platforms) expecting huge power and serious reliability -- hopefully as a quicker and CHEAPER fix than all-jet. But the state of turbo art was not up to the task(s).

My refs do not show the Republic Rainbow, so I cannot check to see what its engines were

Thank you all. I actually used Curtis aircraft as an inspiration. That's what is neat about fictional, you can tweek designs. The twin prop was an idea from planes like the Fairey Gannet that served with the Royal Navy. Drawing as I said is a great stress reliever.

Cool plane but I have some questions but let me first say I'm really glad someone besides me is putting that "paint" program to good use. Back to my questions and then I'll explain my own "concept" aircraft.

You mentioned the plane is a seaplane. Does that mean it has no landing gear except beaching gear? Before I go any further please don't take exception because in no way am I being critical because I admire your design.

What is it supposed to do? Besides relieve stress.

Just a point on your propellors which the program will allow you to do and that is to make them contrarotating. That will allow you to take advantage of the torque the engine generates.

I began to drag this out but 'nuf said. Outstanding job.

Now, for the C~119T {turbo}.

After working at an air museum restoring airplanes I began to wonder what sort of conversions could have lent life to some of the older aircraft. I first did a C~97 along the lines of the "Super Guppy" without the bulbuous fuselage. My next effort was the C~119 as you see it here. Yes, it is in civilian registry because it is owned and flown by a very fictitious contract airline {Anyone know the origin of this airline?}. It has gone back to being a work in progress with the addition of arresting and catapult gear and the ability ot eventually fold the wings ala the E~2. Of course opening myself for all sorts of, uhm recommendations by posting here which is really why I'm doing so. Like 48MMS, this sort of thing is enjoyable, challenging and therapeutic.

My apologies, 48MMS for jumping on your thread this way but seeing what you did was great.

post-54272-1323475592.png

Drawing for me is a stress reliever and a way to draw in mediums other than pen & paper. It helps me focus and coordinate. I initially wanted this seaplane only as a fictional aircraft that would serve on a Battleship or Heavy Cruiser. It was never to have landing gear, although that was tried, I just couldn't make it logically work. And no offense taken, I realize that I am at best a novice and would never seek to make a career out of it. Considering the art I have seen, better programs notwithstanding, I don't have the patience to compete. Like I said, it helps me unwind.

I like your art, it looks very professional, and the color effects are excellent. That is a project for another day however! :lol:

P.S., on the propellers, I have in the past have made them more like a true contrarotating set, I just didn't want to get too detailed, and yes took the easier way out.

P.S., on the propellers, I have in the past have made them more like a true contrarotating set, I just didn't want to get too detailed, and yes took the easier way out.

Let me tell you, the more I looked at your plane the more I marvelled at the detail. If you notice, my version has no rivets. As a matter of fact, the basic image came from the Internet so I feel I should give deference to your work for what came out of your head and went into your computer.

BTW: I have another art program which turns out to have fewer features than the one we have on our computers. The only feature it has that I wish was on my basic computer is the ability to rotate an image by indices, ie; one degree at a time.

I have to shut down soom but I'll try to get a PM out to you this weekend and maybe afterward we can send E~mails.

Don't sell yourself short, tou have done a really good job. I'm fully retired with a lot of time on my hands to dabble with this stuff.

The Rainbow did not have true turboprops, but rather an oddball "blown exhaust accelerator" out a tailpipe on each engine (P&W R-4360, same as the C-119 and ?? Lockheed Constellation ??.

Would you believe that a civil airliner version of the Rainbow was actually ORDERED by PanAm? But that dream ended when the USAF declined to order the military variant, instead deciding that RB-29s and RB-50s would suffice until an RB-47 was a reality. In turn, PanAm quickly jumped on the Boeing Stratocruiser order book.

I wonder if a crashed one will show up on Iranian TV?

COOL drawing!

Good one ww1collector! Somehow it caught me funny and I actually giggled.