Info on ww2 fleece lined bomber pants??

curio bill

I have located a pair of fleece-lined ww2 bomber pants & would like to get some more info about these things, including approx pricing. Is there any segment of this site that could help?? Other sites? Thanks, Bill

When you say "fleece" are we talking shearling lined here... or alpaca?

The "woolly" looking stuff "memphis Belle" era, I don't know the difference between the two. I don't have the item so I can't give details on labels, etc.

That'd be shearling. Well...like everything else, price/value is determined by condition and to some extent, size. The old shearling gear is often dry/cracked etc., Examples which have survived in good condition carry a premium price. Also, they are very heavy so shipping costs are a consideration too.

That'd be shearling. Well...like everything else, price/value is determined by condition and to some extent, size. The old shearling gear is often dry/cracked etc., Examples which have survived in good condition carry a premium price. Also, they are very heavy so shipping costs are a consideration too.

Thanks

If there are no vertical zips on the legs then they are like as not the B1 type to marry up with the mechanics D1 jacket.

where there are vertical full length zips on both legs than they are type A3 or A5 depending on the wieght of the shearling (that being the thickness of the pile, A3 being heavier. Further distinguishable by the flapless (open) leather patch pockets at the shin which contrast with the internal cotton hung shin pockets of the A5 which hav zips across the top.

if the trousers have flapped leather shin pockets, with a further single one front thigh, they will be AN-T -35 variants designated for army and navy use.

The USN alone variants I am less familiar with.

Whilst they command a price it is rarely more than 30% of the corresponding jacket price even in good shape.

If there are no vertical zips on the legs then they are like as not the B1 type to marry up with the mechanics D1 jacket.

where there are vertical full length zips on both legs than they are type A3 or A5 depending on the wieght of the shearling (that being the thickness of the pile, A3 being heavier. Further distinguishable by the flapless (open) leather patch pockets at the shin which contrast with the internal cotton hung shin pockets of the A5 which hav zips across the top.

if the trousers have flapped leather shin pockets, with a further single one front thigh, they will be AN-T -35 variants designated for army and navy use.

The USN alone variants I am less familiar with.

Whilst they command a price it is rarely more than 30% of the corresponding jacket price even in good shape.

many thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Other factors which influence their value will be, for example, are the zippers functional? They are often jammed or broken. Are the trousers complete with their suspenders? Often missing and hard to find. Is the shearling dry/cracked? This is very common as the acrylate dye with which they were sprayed has a natural tendency to craze and flake. You need to consider these things if you're contemplating making a purchase. They can also be a good bargaining counter for the buyer!

The pants are not particularly sought after, so keep that in mind. I wouldn't take a free pair to be honest. They take up a lot of room,

I beg to differ. All serious AAF collectors would certainly want to have them in their collection. Any set of combat flight gear is incomplete without them. I agree with your other point about them being bulky and taking up room.

I beg to differ. All serious AAF collectors would certainly want to have them in their collection. Any set of combat flight gear is incomplete without them. I agree with your other point about them being bulky and taking up room.

sadly there are more jacket collectors than aaf collectors.

I agree. The jackets are most eagerly sought. However, if you're a "completist" (like me!) you really must have the whole set. It's no different to collecting GI combat uniforms and having the FJs but without the pants...in other words, half a uniform!

Yeah - I didn't mean they are un-collectable, but once you've got a pair to go with the jacket you have, you don't need any more because they take up so much room. And I see 5 pairs of pants for every jacket, so I think demand for pants is pretty low (premo examples excepted).

Yeah - I didn't mean they are un-collectable, but once you've got a pair to go with the jacket you have, you don't need any more because they take up so much room. And I see 5 pairs of pants for every jacket, so I think demand for pants is pretty low (premo examples excepted).

Not quite as straight forward as that! Every type of jacket had it's own particular pants...so, if a collector has B3..B9..B10..B15 jackets etc., then they'll need the respective pants to go with them. I can attest to that as I've got them! Unfortunately, it isn't a case of "one size fits all" !! :thumbsup:

Not quite as straight forward as that! Every type of jacket had it's own particular pants...so, if a collector has B3..B9..B10..B15 jackets etc., then they'll need the respective pants to go with them. I can attest to that as I've got them! Unfortunately, it isn't a case of "one size fits all" !! :thumbsup:

Ok - good point. Technically, there were different pants for the various jackets. And if you are a purist, you would need one of each kind. For me, given that the realities of supplying vast numbers of aviators overseas meant that the “correct” pants were not always available for whatever jacket, to me, one pair is good enough for any application. That’s my take on it.

Ok - good point. Technically, there were different pants for the various jackets. And if you are a purist, you would need one of each kind. For me, given that the realities of supplying vast numbers of aviators overseas meant that the “correct” pants were not always available for whatever jacket, to me, one pair is good enough for any application. That’s my take on it.

I'm sure a degree of mix 'n' matching did occur for the reasons you give. However, as a complete-ist....etc ;)