USAAF Ground Crew Coveralls

Robswashashore

Robswashashore

Good morning all!

Working on my latest 1/6, which will be a USAAF flight line mechanic. Just wondered if it would be appropriate to put any insignia on the coveralls? Rank chevrons? Stenciled? Sewn? USAAF Roundell patch? Stenciled? Sewn?

Could anyone point me to any photos from that era?

Thanks to all you uniform experts out there for helping me to get this authentic.

Thanks!

Jean

Jean...I've seen pics of both inked/stencilled stripes and sewn-on ones too. Don't recall ever seeing patches though. Those coveralls got pretty dirty...oil, gas stains etc., and therefore were frequently laundered, making patches impractical really. That said, this forum has taught me to ...never say never! ;)

I have a Korean War era set of green Air Force coveralls that have Staff Sgt. stripes sewn on. No other insignia.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

The Wharfmaster

In Peace and War. US Merchant Marine.

Jean, here would be what I would think should stand as the distinction as between flight suits and coveralls from that era, assuming that the mechanic would wear his coveralls for wrenching and, if also an air crew member, change to a flight suit when in the air; with the understanding that there were probably more than one version of coveralls and flightsuits - but, these are probably typical to go from.

I'm not a uniform expert by any means, but the topic is obviously one of interest to old nostalgic grease monkeys like me :rolleyes:

The coveralls were illustrated here: http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/9292681

post-3976-1323363267.jpg

post-3976-1323363279.jpg

Those are flight suits which usually had printed USAAF insignia on the left sleeve. "Grease monkeys" wore regular army HBT coveralls...just like tankers.

post-8022-1323363696.jpg

In ww2, stencilled rank was common. Sewn rank was not uncommon Shoulder sleeve unit insignia on Hbt generally and especially coveralls in USAAF use should be regarded as statistically nonexistant (not to say it wasnt EVER done but its not seen in contemporary images)

The use by the USAF of sewn enlisted rank on groundcrew hbt in Korea and way beyond when hbt finally became obsolete in the USAF is a common if not universal practice

Robswashashore

Thank you, Gentlemen! I knew I would get the right information here!

BTW, any photos of the stencilled rank???

Jean

Robswashashore
Jean, are you good on parts? Need anything for this one?

Hoovie-- I think I've got what I need for this one. I'll post pics when it is complete.

Thank you!!!!!

Jean

craig_pickrall

Most of the rank insignia on USAAF coveralls that I have seen are crudely painted on. I'm looking through my photos now for examples. This is the first one I found. From LIFE Magazine dated DEC 1, 1941.

post-5-1323443225.jpg

post-5-1323443235.jpg

I've got a pair of HBT coveralls with a large winged prop insignia stenciled on the back. It's buried in the basement somewhere so I can't lay my hands on it right now.

Johnny Signor

Although I can't recall where I saw the photo/s , but I have seen coveralls with the triangle "specialty" patch on the lower right sleeve (cloth sewn on) if I recall correctly it was the Mechanics design with the yellow engine on the blue background .

Johnny

Just wondered if it would be appropriate to put any insignia on the coveralls? Rank chevrons? Stenciled? Sewn?

The chevrons -- both stenciled and sewn. Painted chevrons I posted above. Here you have classic chevrons and name tape. Remember also about this last element mentioned because name tapes were popular on AAF coveralls.

post-75-1323544830.jpg

craig_pickrall
Here you do have the USAAF's coveralls with painted chevrons.

I wonder if the 2nd photo in this set came from a movie since that is Ronald Regan. It may be from one of his training films but it could also be from a general audience release.

My guess is it was from a movie since RR is wearing some sort of wings and I don't think he earned any of those in service.

I wonder if the 2nd photo in this set came from a movie since that is Ronald Regan. It may be from one of his training films but it could also be from a general audience release.

My guess is it was from a movie since RR is wearing some sort of wings and I don't think he earned any of those in service.

Yes!

This RR and scene from "The Rear Gunner" USAAF film of 1943.

:)

Robswashashore

Wow, these photos are awesome -- just what I needed. Thanks for helping -- I'll post pics of the finished 1/6 when I am finished.

Jean

• 2 years later...

There are a ton of photos of the stenciled or painted chevrons and some of the sewn on. It seems a slightly larger amout stenciled or painted and many different variations of the stenciled/painted types. White nametapes with stenciled names AND some names stenciled directly to the coveralls. I have 4 training base "year books" that have the nametapes on the coveralls and mostly over the left breast pocket.

Scott