The passing of a China Marine

Dirk

I just received word of the passing of Chester Biggs, one of the last per-war China Marines. He died last night, 70 years to the day after his capture in Peiping. Chester gave me countless hours of interviews and freely shared his time talking of China and the Marine Corps. Such a fine man. He will be missed.

Semper Fi Chester and god speed thank you for your faithful and loyal service. Thank you Dirk for your tireless efforts to document and preserve this largely ignored and unknown chapter in our Marine Corps History, your work and efforts are tremendous and I look forward to reading your future publications! You are probably the nation's foremost expert on this chapter!

Kevin

Corpsmancollector

RIP Marine, Semper Fi :salute:

Dirk, I'm glad you were able to get to know Chester and have a relationship with him. Your hard work and efforts to document this era of Marine Corps history is truly appreciated by many, I'm sure.

Will

Here is an excerpt from his on-line obituary......

"He was a Marine first and foremost, then with retirement from the Corps an Elementary School Teacher, an AV Director, a published Author and a regular Jack of all Trades.

A truly valiant, yet modest man, he was known more for his kindness, than his success as a survivor of captivity and his later action on the battlefield. However, to know the man, you must have known his past: exactly 70 years prior to his passing, on December 7, 1941 Chester Maxwell Biggs Jr. was taken as Prisoner of War (POW) by the Japanese while serving on embassy duty in Peiping, China during WWII. He was repatriated on September 17, 1945 by President Harry S. Truman, who would later award him three Presidential Citations for his service during the Korean War (campaigns as follows: North Korean Aggression, Communist China Aggression, Inchon Landing, First UN Counter Offensive, Communist China Spring Offensive and UN Summer-Fall Offensive)."

From the short time i knew him, the other things his family said about him are so true.....just a truly fine man...who was dedicated to his religion, his family and his country....

BTW thank you for the kind words about my efforts to document the lives of these men....

General Apathy
Here is an excerpt from his on-line obituary......

"He was a Marine first and foremost, then with retirement from the Corps an Elementary School Teacher, an AV Director, a published Author and a regular Jack of all Trades.

On December 7, 1941 Chester Maxwell Biggs Jr. was taken as Prisoner of War (POW) by the Japanese while serving on embassy duty in Peiping, China during WWII. He was repatriated on September 17, 1945 Just outstanding to hear that he survived that length of time :thumbsup:

From the short time i knew him, the other things his family said about him are so true.....just a truly fine man...who was dedicated to his religion, his family and his country....

BTW thank you for the kind words about my efforts to document the lives of these men....

Dirk, well done for recording this period of history and best wishes for your future endeavours

ken

Ken- Thank you! In his later years he was active with speaking at SERE training events I believe in the North Carolina area. So even late in life he could help young members of our armed forces.