"Pearl Harbor", the movie.

Sabrejet

RustyCanteen

I would hope so since history is always being rewritten as new information comes to light.

It would be a mistake for anyone to use Hollywood movies as history other then as a starting point to picking up a book or twenty and researching on your own.

"Sands of Iwo Jima" is horrific history, but you can bet a few kids decided to find out more after they saw it. "flying Tigers"? Awful history, but kind of fun entertainment.

Well said.

You can't (and shouldn't) take a movie as fact, it's entertainment.

The problem with this is that many people do! Given the films connection with Disney, and the historical subject of the movie, many people come away believing a huge part of the story to be true.

Its only when historical events are grossly over portrayed, (example; "History of the World, Parts I&II" :lol: ) that people see through them.

RustyCanteen

The problem with this is that many people do! Given the films connection with Disney, and the historical subject of the movie, many people come away believing a huge part of the story to be true.

Its only when historical events are grossly over portrayed, (example; "History of the World, Parts I&II" :lol: ) that people see through them.

Very true JS. There have been other "war" films draw criticism over accuracy, when it was never meant to be accurate; history is a backdrop for a story.

It's too bad people don't read their history anymore.

• 2 years later...

although a few years late to this one, im surprised no one brought up the scene where Dorie Miller (Cuba Gooding Jr.) mans the .50 cals... disregarding the fact that the whole scene is completely unlike how it actually took place, he is firing dual mounted air cooled .50 cal machine guns. where as the USS West Virginia had Water Cooled .50s and only single mounted guns rather than dual mounted...

they are called props for a reason...

That's about right Jake, my Take Jake, they the producers, did not know the correct weapon, nor did they care to know, a Double 50 is more Kick As...S looking more sexy, and besides, if it was pointed out to them, a Shrug and...... the age old Hollywood reply.........Who'll Know Who'll Care!

post-34986-0-25678400-1449543465.jpg

Well we know.

I'll take the more accurate, and humble, though no less heroic depiction of Doris Miller's actions (actor Elven Havard) in Tora Tora Tora, then Cuba Gooding's any day.

post-34986-0-42816900-1449543452.jpg

That's about right Jake, my Take Jake, they the producers, did not know the correct weapon, nor did they care to know, a Double 50 is more Kick As...S looking more sexy, and besides, if it was pointed out to them, a Shrug and...... the age old Hollywood reply.........Who'll Know Who'll Care!

attachicon.gifcuba-3.jpg

Well we know.

I'll take the more accurate, and humble, though no less heroic depiction of Doris Miller's actions (actor Elven Havard) in Tora Tora Tora, then Cuba Gooding's any day.

attachicon.gif400px-Tora_05.jpg

true, in all reality the movie was in no way fact it was a fiction BASED on fact. more of a tribute if anything, like Saving Private Ryan. the movie in its own respect was decent as far as hollywood action/romance movies are concerned. but as a historical representation... a pretty big let down

but i guess outside of militaria/historian/some Veteran groups they are right. no one would know

'Tora! Tora! Tora!' went to extremes for accuracy, and it cost a lot of money to do it. I know the documentary on the production mentioned that the USS Nevada mockup was built on an ocean-going barge, which had to be rented by the day or something like that. Anyway, we only get to see a brief scene of it 'sailing' because (per the documentary) there was some confusion during filming with the result that their money shot started before the camera was ready. So the barge was already moving before the camera caught it.

On a side note, I can't seem to find anything on the construction of the mockups for the US side of the production, but this is an amazing look at the Japanese sets for the Nagato and other sets used in the film. https://www.flickr.com/photos/voyager_japan/albums/72157631988006137/page1

'Pearl Harbor' also had mockup battleship sets, but once again I wasn't able to find much about them. They were constructed in what I think was the same water tank as the titular ship set from 'Titanic' in Rosarito, Mexico.

'Tora! Tora! Tora!' went to extremes for accuracy, and it cost a lot of money to do it. I know the documentary on the production mentioned that the USS Nevada mockup was built on an ocean-going barge, which had to be rented by the day or something like that. Anyway, we only get to see a brief scene of it 'sailing' because (per the documentary) there was some confusion during filming with the result that their money shot started before the camera was ready. So the barge was already moving before the camera caught it.

On a side note, I can't seem to find anything on the construction of the mockups for the US side of the production, but this is an amazing look at the Japanese sets for the Nagato and other sets used in the film. https://www.flickr.com/photos/voyager_japan/albums/72157631988006137/page1

'Pearl Harbor' also had mockup battleship sets, but once again I wasn't able to find much about them. They were constructed in what I think was the same water tank as the titular ship set from 'Titanic' in Rosarito, Mexico.

im not sure what they used in the sinking scenes and similar scenes where a prop was necessary i expect as you said they used the same style set as titanic. but for many scenes such as the boxing scene and the mopping scene just before the attack they used the USS Missouri which accounts for alot of historical inaccuracies with number of cannons and other things...

I'm probably repeating many of the members here, but the movie was a letdown for me. Not only were there inconsistencies in the actual history, it seemed like they were going more for the dramatic effect than factual experiences. As for uniforms, gear, weapons, etc. it wasn't completely accurate. Some mistakes were quite obvious to the trained eye.