"Pearl Harbor", the movie.

Sabrejet

I remember Edward Arnold ;) he was the corrupt fat cat back in James Stewart's home state in Mister Smith goes to Washington

Edward Albert ? He was'nt the son of THEE Eddie Albert was he ?

Yep...he certainly was thee son. They are both deceased. The son died in 2005 or '06.

Yep...he certainly was thee son. They are both deceased. The son died in 2005 or '06.

Thank;s I check out wiki, Eddie JR died one year after his father dying at the age of 55 from cancer. It said he knew he was dying but despite his own no doubt rapidly failing heath he took care of his elderly ailing father till his death at the age of 99 on May 26 2005. This left me with a sense of, gee I cant even think of the words, I am so moved.

Thank;s I check out wiki, Eddie JR died one year after his father dying at the age of 55 from cancer. It said he knew he was dying but despite his own no doubt rapidly failing heath he took care of his elderly ailing father till his death at the age of 99 on May 26 2005. This left me with a sense of, gee I cant even think of the words, I am so moved.

The things you don't know about a guy...more on Edward Albert:

• He was a graduate of Oxford University.
  • He was fluent in English, Spanish, French, Portugese and Mandarin Chinese.
  • Had an IQ of 157.

His father, Eddie was a veteran of Tarawa.

"Served in the United States Navy during WWII

Was an active participant in the battle of Tarawa (Nov. 1943), one of the bloodiest battles of World War II and in the history of the U.S. Marine Corps. Albert was credited with rescuing up to 70 wounded Marines while under enemy fire. He was awarded the Bronze Star with a combat "V". He did not speak about this publicly until it was mentioned in several television documentaries about the battle in the 1990s."

Wow.

Tommymonkey192

Might as well take the story right to the very beginning. Since we've got Chaz speaking Russian it wouldn't be a stretch to have him speak Polish as well. That way we could also include the Invasion of Poland!

In 1939 the boys spend their summer vacation in Poland visiting Chaz's relatives (Hey, gotta pay tribute to the Great American Melting Pot). Chaz's uncle who's the commander of the 18th Ulan Regiment invites the boys to ride with the Regiment on maneuvers. Bad timing because right in the middle of the maneuvers the Germans have invaded and swarms of panzers decimate the hapless cavalrymen. (You do realize that none of this has anything to with the actual history, right? Just checking)

Rafe and Chaz manage to rally the remnants of the Polish lancers and launch a desperate charge against the German tanks armed mainly with lances and sabres (an event which in fact never happened) even taking out a few of the panzers as well as a couple of German planes when they commandeer a taczanka machine gun cart. Having survived the ordeal the boys resolve to enlist in the Air Corps when they return to America.

And That's Hollywoooood......

I can't wait to see the sequel when our heroes are recalled to the colours to serve in the Korean emergency. They fly F-86s in "MiG Alley" racking up big scores against the Russkies. Then one day, Rafe gets shot down behind commie lines. Chaz flies back to base, commandeers a chopper and single-handedly flies off to rescue him. Rafe is injured. The commies are closing in. He takes them out, one by one, with his .45. Chaz slings him over his shoulder and runs zig-zag back to the chopper with bullets flying all around him...yadda, yadda, yadda! (Don't worry guys, Vietnam is only about 15 years away!)

Might as well take the story right to the very beginning. Since we've got Chaz speaking Russian it wouldn't be a stretch to have him speak Polish as well. That way we could also include the Invasion of Poland!

In 1939 the boys spend their summer vacation in Poland visiting Chaz's relatives (Hey, gotta pay tribute to the Great American Melting Pot). Chaz's uncle who's the commander of the 18th Ulan Regiment invites the boys to ride with the Regiment on maneuvers. Bad timing because right in the middle of the maneuvers the Germans have invaded and swarms of panzers decimate the hapless cavalrymen. (You do realize that none of this has anything to with the actual history, right? Just checking)

Rafe and Chaz manage to rally the remnants of the Polish lancers and launch a desperate charge against the German tanks armed mainly with lances and sabres (an event which in fact never happened) even taking out a few of the panzers as well as a couple of German planes when they commandeer a taczanka machine gun cart. Having survived the ordeal the boys resolve to enlist in the Air Corps when they return to America.

And That's Hollywoooood......

Yea that will work, however Rafe will have to be left out of the senerio, as we know Rafe's charactor has already been established and only meets Chaz after he assigned to the unit Rafes in at the time after danny heroic death. It WILL work as a flash back story for Chaz as he tells Rafe about this earlier experance which both Rafe AND by extension, the audience RIVETED.

HOORAY FOR HOLLYWOOD >>>> DA>>>>>DA>>>>>DA>>>>>>>DA HOLLYWOOD !

Here are a few :lol: courtesy of IMDB...

Anachronisms

Evelyn and other nurses are seen being decorated with the Purple Heart. Evelyn was not wounded in the movie; the Purple Heart is only awarded to those who have been wounded or killed.

One thing you may have wrong... according to an article I read about WWII women in uniform..."And there were women serving in the military at Pearl Harbor at the time of the attack, including nurses. The chief nurse, Annie G. Fox, received the Purple Heart (which at that stage of World War II could be awarded for merit or bravery without wounds) and then received a Bronze Star."

The debate rages on...

Tom K

One thing Tora, Tora, Tora got right was showing CNO Admiral Stark in a civvie suit at the Navy Department. In those days officers in Navy Department and Bureau assignments in Washington did not wear uniforms for daily work. With some embarrassing results after war was declared: IIRC Admiral Nimitz's biography tells that many who had been in DC for some time found their old uniforms no longer fit around the middle for some reason, while one rear admiral showed up for work with a tweed topcoat over his blues.

Justin B.

vostoktrading

This was an awful movie. No doubt about that.

I live in Hawaii. While they were filming it I had some interesting experiences.

I was walking through the flea market at the Kam drive-in theatre one sunday morning (on the heights above Pearl Harbor) when they were filming flight scenes over Ford Island. Let me tell you that gave me goose bumps to have piston engine monoplanes flying overhead with Japanese insignia painted on them!

Last month I finally went to the Aviation Museum on Ford Island located in Pearl Harbor. I was momentarily shocked when I saw the derelict aircraft stacked against the hanger wall (pictured below) until I realized they were mock-ups from that dreadful movie "Pearl Harbor". By the way, this museum is a must see if you ever visit Hawaii.

Jon.

post-7885-1323816365.jpg

post-7885-1323816378.jpg

vostoktrading

Notice the spitfire above? I almost had a baby right there and then until I realized it was a mock up for the movie. Shocking!

Here's a photo of me and my little girl at the Museum. I'm 52 and she is 3. This is a Hawaiian Air Guard jet. Rare patch that goes with it. Jon.

post-7885-1323848602.jpg

post-7885-1323848626.jpg

Actually, this is not true. He was not "absolutely chair-bound". He wore braces on his legs which would lock in place. He walked by using his son's arm and a cane. He did not want to be portrayed as an invalid. He would not let the newspapers publish a picture of him in the wheel chair. When he gave the famous "a day which will live in infamy" speech, he was standing at the podium.

....Kat

OK, but there's no way that he could have done what that movie showed him doing, which was my point.

Bill

• 1 year later...
RustyCanteen

Those mock ups are pretty neat.

In post #87, the one on the far right is a Japanese cockpit section used for the closeup when "Rafe" leads the Japanese plane into the ambush set up by "Earl".

RustyCanteen

While I agree it is far from an historically accurate depiction of the attack (much less the battle of Britain), it actually made more than the estimated budget: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0213149/business?ref_=tt_dt_bus

Then again "Titanic" wasn't exactly historically accurate, but still they made an effort. In the end movies have to at least pay the bills, and perfect 100% historically accurate docu-dramas would probably lose money because they don't appeal to the entire market, only a smaller segment.

One of the greatest Hollywood turkeys of all time! :o

Understatement of the century! I cringed just seeing the title of this thread! :)

ww2relichunter

from a historic stand point the movie sucks but just sitting around watching the movie it isnt horrible if you just take it for what it is !! in the catorgries of drama and action it is not a bad fictional movie !! i personally like the movie i feel they could have done a much better jobs with the details and made it more realistic but in the end a movies a movie which unless it was filmed at the events is usually changed and dramatized for the viewers sake !!

RustyCanteen

While it wasn't historically accurate, it wasn't made to be a docu-drama. It was a summer action blockbuster, and on that note it succeeded.

Yes I was as disappointed as anyone to see the errors, particularly of battleship row. But it still had the best special effects of any film depicting the attack on Pearl Harbor.

You can't (and shouldn't) take a movie as fact, it's entertainment.

I fear that we will see much of our history 'rewritten" over the next few years.

I would hope so since history is always being rewritten as new information comes to light.

It would be a mistake for anyone to use Hollywood movies as history other then as a starting point to picking up a book or twenty and researching on your own.

"Sands of Iwo Jima" is horrific history, but you can bet a few kids decided to find out more after they saw it. "flying Tigers"? Awful history, but kind of fun entertainment.