FRAMING FLAGS-RECOMMENDATIONS?

BEAST

I have two WWI flags to be framed. One is an artillery guidon and the other is medical flag as used at an aid or dressing station. Both are approximatly the same size. After seeing the many incredible displays here, I was wondering if someone could recommend the best way to frame these.

I would have to look again, but I believe the medical flag has the red cross on only one side, but the guidon should have the artilley markings on both.

I had a collection of Russian Civil War unit flags at one time and how I displayed them was getting a custom-made frame from Frames by Mail. I used archival backing, covered it in black wool, and then carefully stitched the edges of the flag onto the backing. I bought UV-proof glass for the front, and then sealed them together. The flags I had on display were incredible looking! I might have some photos around still...

Dave

Dave

pls post some pics,,i would like to see how you did it also,,,,do you have a link to the type of frame you used? they have many styles!

thanks

Dave

pls post some pics,,i would like to see how you did it also,,,,do you have a link to the type of frame you used? they have many styles!

thanks

Well, I spent about 30 minutes looking for pics, but I could only find this one. This is a naval ensign from the RCW time period...MORE IMPORTANTLY, it shows the frame. Ironically, of all the flags I had framed, this was the only one that had a used frame! BUT, it's also where I got the idea from for my other frames. This one came out of the USNA Museum; they were throwing the frame away because it had gotten a couple scratches on it during their renovation. It had formerly had a PT boat ensign in it (it still had the name plate in it when I got it.) This was exactly the style I duplicated for my other frames though and they looked like a million bucks!

Dave

DonAzovFlag.jpg

Dave,

Thanks for the information on framing flags. I have a large flag I need framed and now I have a place to start. I know this thread is about framing flags, but that flag you posted a picture of is amazing!

Arch

Thanks guys for the replies!

Dave, How did you stitch the flags to the wool backing? I am assuming by hand, but did you use very many stitches/inch? I was concerned about damage to the flags by sewing them.

That flag you've shown is amazing!

Thanks guys for the replies!

Dave, How did you stitch the flags to the wool backing? I am assuming by hand, but did you use very many stitches/inch? I was concerned about damage to the flags by sewing them.

That flag you've shown is amazing!

thanks!!!

I used clear thread and put a roughly 1/4" stitch every 6-8 inches. I used a fine needle and was very careful not to make any permanent marks. Of course, the flags I was stitching on though were of heavy material...this one shown above was of canvas, and the typical unit flags were of a heavy wool material. Sewing something thin, like an older silk US flag, will take more caution, and chances are you'd want to sew through the currently existing seam stitching rather than just through the flag itself.

Dave

I make shadow box frames for my flags. The inside is lined with acid-free foam core board. The backing is also foam core board, so it's lighter to hang. I use a light-weight curtain rod thru the pole sleeve to hang the flag. I use mirror clips to channel the UV glass.

Photo isn't the best, but I think it gives an idea of the finished product.

Tim

post-2144-1323498985.jpg

• 1 year later...
ColdWarRules

I had a collection of Russian Civil War unit flags at one time and how I displayed them was getting a custom-made frame from Frames by Mail. I used archival backing, covered it in black wool, and then carefully stitched the edges of the flag onto the backing. I bought UV-proof glass for the front, and then sealed them together. The flags I had on display were incredible looking! I might have some photos around still...

Dave

:o that is AWESOME! I love seeing Russian Civil War items! I'm trying to get some Mosins that were 1914-1917 made.