“Son, aren’t you cold driving that thing in this weather?”

willysmb44

Yesterday I decided to fire up my 1944 MB and take it out for a short hop just to make sure everything is lubed up and capable of running. I live in the Pacific NW and we had great weather for a few days, no rain and the sun was shining (which is VERY unusual for this time of year). Still, it wasn’t warm, with highs in the low 40s at best. Because I didn’t have to worry about rain, I decided to not put the top on because you don’t get much warmth off that anyway. So after getting the engine to turn over, doing normal checks and finding everything seemed okay, I took it out for a short hope around the “downtown” part of the small town I live in, about 2 miles total. While I was waiting on the rural highway to make the final left turn to get back to the house, an older man pulled up alongside in a pickup truck and rolled down his window and asked, “Son, aren’t you cold driving that thing in this weather?” I smiled and nodded then drove on. Just another case of someone having to point out the ridiculously obvious as I was wearing a sweater, my tanker jacket and gloves. Not that I had a problem with him, it was just funny. Kind of like people who walk up to sweating re-enactors in stifling weather, point to their wool uniforms and ask, “Aren’t you hot in that?”

Anyone else every have this happen?