Patton's Helmet

12A54

A heavily lacquered Hawley? I wonder what kind of suspension it has? :thumbsup:

Heavily painted and probably lacquered then waxed over and over again.

It's been a while since I've seen this helmet up close but if I remember correctly these are not decals but paper cut outs glued to the helmet then lacquered over and waxed over. Am I right on this?

Ronnie

And just when I was wondering what to do with my afternoon I find out that Pattons helmet is a 45 minute drive from me :D

Also, for those of you that might make the drive to Lexington, there is an antique mall nearby with a militaria booth. I havent been myself, but I know the dealer pretty well and he tends to have some good stuff at good prices. And if you buy anything, make sure to stop in downtown Lexington at the chocolate shop to pick up a distraction for the wife/girlfriend :thumbsup:

Another helmet/liner of the general is shown in the Patton memorial museum in Plzen ( Czech Republic ).

Sadly i have no pictures of that.

The general evidently had more than one parade liner. This one looks to be a regular plastic type.

It's well known that Patton had helmets all over the place. With all due respect to Patton as a General, he also had a huge ego, so I have no doubt that he got a new one for every parade or special occasion.

Is it me, or does the General's "plastic" liner look kind of large? Maybe he had a small head...either that or the crown suspension is let right out? :think:

craig_pickrall
And just when I was wondering what to do with my afternoon I find out that Pattons helmet is a 45 minute drive from me :D

Also, for those of you that might make the drive to Lexington, there is an antique mall nearby with a militaria booth. I havent been myself, but I know the dealer pretty well and he tends to have some good stuff at good prices. And if you buy anything, make sure to stop in downtown Lexington at the chocolate shop to pick up a distraction for the wife/girlfriend :thumbsup:

If you are going to VMI be aware there are two museums there. The Patton liner is at the Marshall Museum but there is also another museum well worth seeing in the basement of the chapel. That is over close to the front of the main barracks. That has more military items than the Marshall Museum does.

There are also other antique stores there with military goods.

If you are interested in the Civil War don't miss Stonewall Jackson's home and many other buildings in the down town area. The cemetary just off down town has a real Who's Who of grave markers too.

This is on display in the VMI Museum in Lexington, VA. Figured Forum members would enjoy these.

For some reason,I guess because of the only photos I seen with him wearing this liner where in B&W, lead me to believe that its was in fact a in black laquer liner.

If you are going to VMI be aware there are two museums there. The Patton liner is at the Marshall Museum but there is also another museum well worth seeing in the basement of the chapel. That is over close to the front of the main barracks. That has more military items than the Marshall Museum does.

Actually the Patton helmet is now in the VMI museum beneath Jackson Chapel. That museum has undergone a renovation and doesnt have as many good military items on display as it used to. It does have an amazing weapon collection however. The Marshall museum also has nice displays but is more oriented to education with graphics than items. In my experience there, what is in storage (at both museums) is waaaaay more interesting than what is on display. There is also a new leadership building behind the Marshall museum that has an incredible display of all valor medals awarded to VMI men - the "Hall of Valor". More medals in one place than you'll ever see. Incredible.

blitzkrieg gsd

The general must have a few helmets I know the Patton Museum has one on display at fort knox ky. Its been there since I was a kid they also have his pistols. Im not sure but I think they are changing the museum from a armour museum to a general army museum. Its not far away from me at all im going up that way tomorrow maybe I can talk the lady into going tomorrow. If my memory is rite the helmet they have has some kind of damage to it. Its dinted or may even have a bullet hole in it. If I get to go tomorrow ill take a couple of pics for you guys. Im sad they are changing the museum around they were talking about geting rid of alot of the tanks. They have a tiger tank with the side cut out so you can see inside. With the cut out you can tell how thick the armour is and its crazy thick I can't believe they were able to cut threw it.

Yep - they have moved the Armor Center to Fort Benning. Because the Patton Museum was always important to Kentucky and tourism, and I heard the Patton family donated so many items to the named museum, there was huge resistance to moving all of it to Georgia. I suspect the compromise moved much of the armor-specific ("Armor Museum") stuff and left the balance of the Patton Museum stuff in Kentucky.

For some reason,I guess because of the only photos I seen with him wearing this liner where in B&W, lead me to believe that its was in fact a in black laquer liner.

No, Patton's helmet liners were not black....nor were they chromed. Many people have said he wore a chrome helmet. That would have made a helluva target. He did wear the micarta helmet liner on occasions but it seems obvious that his helmet of choice was the hawley and yes he had more than one hawley. They were painted a dark high gloss olive drab green.

No, Patton's helmet liners were not black....nor were they chromed. Many people have said he wore a chrome helmet. That would have made a helluva target. He did wear the micarta helmet liner on occasions but it seems obvious that his helmet of choice was the hawley and yes he had more than one hawley. They were painted a dark high gloss olive drab green.

Thank' s Ronnie,I knew no chomed liner, It was that the damn B&W white photos , that I allways thought it was a black japanned liner, it's great to accualy see the real mc coy though. mavelous photos.

blitzkrieg gsd

Have any of you guys been to the Patton museum in ky since they moved the armor. I hate that they did that I have so many great memories of it. Now that I think about it my intrest in this hobby was started after my dad took me there when I was 4or5 I got pics of that trip somewhere. I was going to try to go by there tomorrow but now I don't know if ill have time. It will be a sad day if next time im there allbthe generals stuff is gone. Those pistols are the things a young man and a old man now dreams about.

I went to the Patton museum at Fort Knox several years ago. Here is a link for a photo of a liner that is/was there http://www.flickr.com/photos/riffsyphon1024/4734097475/. It is not my photo but this is the way the liner looked as I saw it then. It looks black to my eye, but my color vision is a bit off. There was a placard that stated the liner had been damaged in a fire in the Patton family home and that it had been restored. Here is a photo of what might be the same liner on the General.

post-2064-1323222272.jpg

I went to the Patton museum at Fort Knox several years ago. Here is a link for a photo of a liner that is/was there http://www.flickr.com/photos/riffsyphon1024/4734097475/. It is not my photo but this is the way the liner looked as I saw it then. It looks black to my eye, but my color vision is a bit off. There was a placard that stated the liner had been damaged in a fire in the Patton family home and that it had been restored. Here is a photo of what might be the same liner on the General.

Seeing that first photo of Patton that I believe was on the cover of Life Magazine in about 1945 brought back memories. I was in Junior High School and in art class. I took that photo and copied it in pencil using a ruler to get the right proportions. It was hand drawn, not traced. I still have the picture and here it is 66 years later.

post-264-1323224002.jpg