My Visor Cap Collection

MasonK

If you haven't already, I would recommend keeping track of where and when you got each hat and how much you paid. I use paper string tags and hang them from the side button or tuck it under the sweatband. Happy collecting!

If you haven't already, I would recommend keeping track of where and when you got each hat and how much you paid. I use paper string tags and hang them from the side button or tuck it under the sweatband. Happy collecting!

Thanks for the suggestion, Matt! I'm a little more anal retentive; I actually keep a spreadsheet with this information and photos of each item that are named in a manner so it matches with what is on the spreadsheet. This is kept on my PC and every so often I make a copy on DVD to keep in a fireproof safe.

This way, if I lose my collection somehow (fire, theft, etc.) I have documentation for insurance purposes. Also, in the event I kick the bucket, my wife knows of the list and at least won't be selling the stuff for pennies to the neighborhood kids so they can play Army!

Thanks for the suggestion, Matt! I'm a little more anal retentive; I actually keep a spreadsheet with this information and photos of each item that are named in a manner so it matches with what is on the spreadsheet. This is kept on my PC and every so often I make a copy on DVD to keep in a fireproof safe.

This way, if I lose my collection somehow (fire, theft, etc.) I have documentation for insurance purposes. Also, in the event I kick the bucket, my wife knows of the list and at least won't be selling the stuff for pennies to the neighborhood kids so they can play Army!

Actually, that makes me feel better because I do the same thing! I write the spreadsheet number on the back of the tag. Doing it early on makes it much easier to track your collection than trying to do it years down the road.

• 1 year later...

Thought I'd share my latest addition. This one has elluded me for some time; a WWI US Army Officer's visor.

No name unfortunately, however it still retains the original newspaper used to line the sweatband. Great condition overall, minus 2 small holes.

Thanks for looking!

post-29885-0-49260100-1363625233.jpg

That's a beauty Eric. I'd love to add one of those to my collection someday!

Thanks, Ian! I would have had one sooner, but would either always get outbid on EBay or when one did become available at a reasonable price, I didn't have the funds.

I threw a crazy bid in on this one at the end of the auction and was able to snag it.

First time I've seen this thread and I'm glad that I ran across it. The visor caps have such a classic style to them. I am currently rearranging my office and decided to put a few visor caps on display.

First time I've seen this thread and I'm glad that I ran across it. The visor caps have such a classic style to them. I am currently rearranging my office and decided to put a few visor caps on display.

I agree completely. You will have to share your results!

DItto. This is my first view into your thread. Not only is your collection nice, but the manner in which you present/photograph each cap is simplistic and very tastefully done. Bravo!

Besides the spreadsheet (which you really should consider a cloud-based option rather than leaving it on your PC) and the how much, who, what, why information that you maintain, how do you store or display these?

Oh...one more thing...I see you have the USMC represented along with the heavily dominated presence of USA/USAAF/USAF...where are the Navy covers?? ;)

Thanks, gentlemen!

@ Beast; I too look forward to seeing your display!

@ Shawn; the Cloud option is one I never thought of. Currently I store a copy of the spreadsheet on my PC however also frequently backup the images and spreadsheet (as well as family photos, etc) to a DVD and store that in a fireproof safe along with other important items (passports, birth certs, etc.).

As for display, sadly I don't have the space to display all of them at the moment. We live in a cape cod and my wife has "allowed" me to display some items in a sitting room upstairs, however I've slowly been taking over our bedroom. We have two other bedrooms, however these are my kids rooms.

Below are a few photos I had on my work comp of the rooms, however a lot has been added/rotated since these were taken. I frequently rotate when I add a new piece or want a change in what is displayed.

I'll likely have to change this again, though, as my son will be 3 this June. He's pretty good about not touching anything, however I'm sure as he get's older, he'll gain more interest.

As for storage, I keep anything not on display in sealed rubbermade container and sort by item types (uniforms, field gear, helmets, cloth headgear, ephemera, etc.).

I've already told my wife, though, that when we do move (hopefully some time in the near future), I'm staking my claim on a room!

As for why no Navy, well, in due time! I'm weird in the way I collect as I don't frequent EBay much (unless it's a piece I really want such is the Officer's visor) and much prefer hitting flea markets, antique malls/shops, direct family/vet purchases, etc. I like knowing I'm the first collector to acquire an item.

For example, the USMC visor was acquired as part of a uniform group that came into a thrift shop I volunteer at. The Field Officer's visor in post 47 was acquired direct from the vet. The visors in posts 15, 21, 33, 40, 83 were all aquired at flea markets or Antique shops. The remainder were EBay purchases. I also have a few others (USMC and again, Army) that I haven't added to this thread, now that I think about it.

If I had the money, though, I'd much prefer to focus more on WWI or pre-WWI visors (M1902 Army and Bell Crown USMC). They just ooze awesomness, but sadly, my budget won't allow!

post-29885-0-80688200-1363792025.jpg

post-29885-0-37697100-1363792029.jpg

post-29885-0-56856900-1363792033.jpg

I'd love to have a room like that! Nicely done (thanks for sharing!!!)!

There are other benefits to cloud-based computing (such as Google Drive). Besides protection from data loss, accessibility to the data from any (connected) device from any location. Imagine going to a show and you see something that interests you but you don't recall what you have in your collection. You whip out your iPhone/iPad/Android device and quickly check your list. If you buy something, you can add it right then at that moment. You can then update the list with any additional details once you get to your home computer.

Bellcrowns...I'd love to add a few navy variants to my collection. The style is just plain cool!

I'll admit my ignorance...what is that white spiked helmet? M1892? It looks like the insignia is US Army.

Thanks, Shawn! Of course, I'm always dreaming of bigger and better things (this applies to the display room as well as the bell crowns!).

I'll have to consider the cloud option. I've never been in a situation where I need to refer to data in that manner (only work, however I store what I need in email folders on my Blackberry). However, as a redundant storage option, this would definitely make sense in my case.

As for the spiked helmet, it's an M1881 Officer's helmet, however sadly I am lacking information on it. On the front plate are the letters SPC and I have been furitless in my attempts to identify what this is in reference too (militia group, college, etc.). There is a name tag on the inside, however I haven't had much luck in linking it to anyone. Here's a thread I started with additional photos, if you're interested:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/132444-m1881-dress-officers-helmet/

• 10 months later...

Latest edition, and thanks to a few members of the forum, it is identified as a private purchase EM's Artillery Dress Blue visor, circa 1937-38.

Manufacturer is Society Brand.

post-29885-0-06735500-1390314030.jpg

If you are looking for an original leather Marine chin strap in mint condition, I can provide one either for sale or trade. Jack Angolia