My Visor Cap Collection

MasonK

Interesting collection. Just wonderiing about the Vietnam era hat. Did it come with the nylon mesh tube that kept the pancake lid flared on the edge and flat on top? Looks like the hats worn by the senior officers must have the tube in the ones you show....or do they?

Thanks, Niner! Most of the officers visors do contain the tube style you mention, of course with exception to those converted to a crusher style (some probably done post war to attract the unsuspecting).

As for the VN era EM/NCO cap, this one does not contain the tube but rather a plastic device used to keep its shape.

The same goes for the USMC EM/NCO visor which has something akin to a wire hanger used to keep its shape. This is quite frustrating as it has become misshapen over years, most likely from being stored improperly (not by me as I only recently obtained this one along with the Marine's uniforms and overseas caps). I tried to reshape it however was afraid I would snap the material from bending it too much.

I picked this up today as well. I did start a seperate thread for this, however for consistency (and my anal rententiveness due to my German heritage) I'll include it here.

This is a early 1900's Kepi manufactured for Pennsylvania Military College by Horstmann.

post-29885-1323222277.jpg

• 1 month later...

Thought I would add my most recent addition. A salty WWI visor cap to an EM/NCO, manufactured by J.S. Susskind & Co. of Philadelphia.

It's a mishmash of pieces; I believe the chinstrap is British, and it has bronze and blackened bronze chinstrap buttons. However, it's my first WWI visor, so I'm happy with it.

post-29885-1325958757.jpg