My Visor Cap Collection

MasonK

Thanks, Tyson! I unfortunately do not have them displayed at the moment however am working on some display ideas. Space is limited in my house (at least for militaria!) so it will be a bit of a challenge.

Nice collection Eric. Must've taken some time and patience to photograph and upload all of those! I've got a sub collection of similar visor-hats myself so can appreciate what you have there. Also I note that you live in Hatboro...a happy co-incidence?! ;)

carbinephalen

Seeing as your a visor man....I've wondered for the better part of two years WHY do some WWII Chocolate/Gabardine visor caps have the leather band that goes all the way around the bottom (including the back) and others stop midway? Any insight?

Seeing as your a visor man....I've wondered for the better part of two years WHY do some WWII Chocolate/Gabardine visor caps have the leather band that goes all the way around the bottom (including the back) and others stop midway? Any insight?

You're talking about the backstrap? This is a separate short, buckled strap which was designed to further secure the cap when worn on horseback by cavalrymen. In WW2 its intended use was redundant but it was retained as a kind of style thing. I have both officers' and mens' caps with this feature, but it was more associated with officers.

Thanks, gentlemen.

Carbinephalen,

I can only echo Ian's explanation. There's a myth that associates this along with crusher style visors with only the USAAF, which initially may have been true for functionality purposes, however it was eventually used by all affiliations of the Army because of aesthetics.

Ian,

It was the thread you started some time ago with your collection that inspired me to post mine. As for the time it took, chalk that up to a lazy Sunday!

Thanks, gentlemen.

Carbinephalen,

I can only echo Ian's explanation. There's a myth that associates this along with crusher style visors with only the USAAF, which initially may have been true for functionality purposes, however it was eventually used by all affiliations of the Army because of aesthetics.

Ian,

It was the thread you started some time ago with your collection that inspired me to post mine. As for the time it took, chalk that up to a lazy Sunday!

Thank you Eric...you say the nicest things!! :hug:

Thank you Eric...you say the nicest things!! :hug:

Thanks, Ian! Most of the time I'm not, but on occasion I can be nice! :lol:

As for your mention of Hatboro, one of the original settlers of our town was indeed a hat manufacturer. Oh, the irony!

Interesting collection. Just wonderiing about the Vietnam era hat. Did it come with the nylon mesh tube that kept the pancake lid flared on the edge and flat on top? Looks like the hats worn by the senior officers must have the tube in the ones you show....or do they?

post-6574-1323188871.jpg

post-6574-1323188885.jpg