WWII Arctic outter bag?

hawkdriver

craig_pickrall

Waterproof Cover for carrying:

As far as I know this cover is used to carry the bag and has no further purpose. This is the only item that had a tag and it is washed out and can't be read.

post-5-1323133508.jpg

post-5-1323133515.jpg

post-5-1323133522.jpg

post-5-1323133535.jpg

Craig,

First of all, thanks for the effort. Second of all, you didn't mention whether the North American Nesting Dachsund comes with the bag or not :D My bag does not have a hood or head spot, it is straight across. The interesting thing is that it is slightly sewn up at the top, like for one shoulder and ties the other. I cannot find any markings Kapoc or otherwise, but this bag seems to have been worn and used extensively, so it is possible it was marked at one time. Tomorrow, when I get off work, I will take it outside in the sun light and see if I can see any faded print that I am unable to see in my poor basement lighting. Again, thanks for the pictures.

craig_pickrall

The Doxie thinks anything that looks like sleep gear is for her. I didn't have it spread out before she was on it.

We'll get your bag figured out. At least now we know what it isn't.

I also learned what the sleeping bag was that I described earlier. It is a M1940 and I found out I have more than one of them. That made me happy.

EEEYYAAaaaagh...No way I can outshine that last set of pics :w00t: :w00t:

Just a heads-up that I'm in the process of shooting the 4 early bags (among them an M40 and a couple variants of M41) which are similar to Steve's, and will post 'em as soon as I downsize 'em.

craig_pickrall

Jim, I went into my sleeping bag boxes today for the first time in more than 5 years. I didn't remember all the stuff I had in there. When you get into your photo shoot if you are missing something let me know and I'll see if I have it. A good sleeping bag reference would be great. Are you going to do M1935 Bed Rolls too?

Craig, if we're gonna do a Sleeping Bag thread, the Bedroll would be a must-have. The only pics I've posted of one are in the "Mismatched Web Gear" thread, but I have some non-"trans" examples as well.

You also jarred my memory with your shots above; I had forgotten that I have a couple of those down-filled Bags with the half-moon foot panel, one of them with PINK lining... :wacko:

craig_pickrall

You gotta love the pink lining. What could be more military than that.

The Artic bag I photographed was my better one and a matched set that came together. I did discover I have another inner bag and outer bag but they did not come together and they are not in as good condition as the one I shot. What I learned from them is that they did not have any tags either.

I've got a USN issue M35 in OD7. It is just like the Army model except for color and markings. I also have a Army model with a bunk mattress sewn to it. Other than that I don't think I have any other odd balls.

Not to be the spoiler vote here but I have seen many post war constructed civilian sleeping bags with similar snaps. They weren't shaped like that but the materials are identical. Some are marked to the BSA. Fingers crossed for you that this is military though. I am definately interested to see what it ends up being.

You gotta love the pink lining. What could be more military than that.

Well, it most definitely would be camoflaged when used with the pink desert jeeps. Also would go real sexy with the Pinks and greens uniforms.

19Delta-UAV: That is what I feared when I got it that is was a Boy Scout bag, but it is really huge for kids, you could put the whole troop in one of these. Aren't you supposed to be out looking for one of your missing birds right now??? :)

Gentlemen, I have struck on something concerning Steve's Mystery Bag. Below is a Bag, Sleeping, M1942 rolled up in its Cover (no spec tag present on the Cover, dang it)...

post-3226-1323199947.jpg

M1942 Bag spread out; the Cover is made of heavy poplin in the top section, waterproof raincoat-type material on the bottom and flap. Sorry about the lousy shot; the Bag itself is of square-pleat construction like Steve's.

post-3226-1323200248.jpg

The spec tag; I couldn't hold the seam up and snap the pic, but underneath it reads "DO NOT REMOVE THIS TAG".

post-3226-1323200468.jpg

Provenance that this Bag is real Army stuff(sorry- couldn't resist a little idiocy), along with mandatory "that smell"; the foot area is of the "half-moon" design like the Bags Craig posted, and I'll bet Steve's has too...

post-3226-1323201231.jpg

Close-up of the top opening (note Special Ops pink lining :blink: ); tie tapes are present (next post), again similar to Steve's Bag. Also present is the zipper, this one being lighter gauge than the ones fitted onto later Bags. It is my suspicion that what Steve has is an outer extreme-cold cover for this Bag; being fitted only with snap closure correlates with the designs incorporated into the Mountain/Arctic Bags. Just my theory...what do you guys think?

post-3226-1323201750.jpg

craig_pickrall

Jim, you might have found the missing link. Lay it out flat and measure the length and width. Then we can compare that to the inside dimensions of Steve's bag. If would be nice if it matches up.

There wasn't such a wide range of designs for things like this in the late 30's and early 40's. Not to many companies making this stuff and I expect just about all of them had the same basic designs. That shoulder area treatment might be standard across several makers.

post-6975-1323282999.jpg

Here's some pics of a M1941 Sleeping Bag. Sorry my back is out and could not lay it out neatly. Water proof cover that's padded on the bottom, snap closures. Inner quilted down filled bag, full zipper closure, tie at top. Outter quilted down filled bag, full zipper closure, tie at top.

post-6975-1323283358.jpg

post-6975-1323282999.jpg

Here's some pics of a M1941 Sleeping Bag. Sorry my back is out and could not lay it out neatly. Water proof cover that's padded on the bottom, snap closures. Inner quilted down filled bag, full zipper closure, tie at top. Outter quilted down filled bag, full zipper closure, tie at top.