WWII Arctic outter bag?

hawkdriver

I think this may be the M-1942 outer bag for the Arctic system, can someone validate? Also, anyone know where to get the waterproof carrier for this set?

25fpqxi.jpg

ins6ra.jpg

craig_pickrall

This info from the 1943 and 46 QM Manuals.

Is the waterproof carrier you are asking about like the one shown in the photos? It is like a stubby cross. If so those have always been hard to find. Hopefully you might get lucky.

The carrier for the regular sleeping bag is like the waterproof laundry bag.

post-5-1323024323.jpg

post-5-1323024330.jpg

post-5-1323024337.jpg

post-5-1323024343.jpg

post-5-1323024351.jpg

post-5-1323024357.jpg

I know I've seen that somewhere before but I can't remember where.. I'll look through my reference and see if I can find it.

-Matt.

I think this may be the M-1942 outer bag for the Arctic system, can someone validate? Also, anyone know where to get the waterproof carrier for this set?

25fpqxi.jpg

ins6ra.jpg

I am thinking civilian. The outer bag should have a zipper and the quilting is different.

Ray

Possible causaluty bag or a liner for one??Would think the snaps were a bit quicker to get open and access if for causualties.I have a causualty bag but its packed away.

Another guess is a private purchase officers item.I was at an auction back in Feburary and saw 3-4 bedding rolls all marked to an officer and they were private purchase.I didnt unroll them and wasnt able to pick them up.One that was sticking out of the canvas bag was similiar in color and construction like yours.

RD

Ya, there is no zipper and the info Craig added states a zipper. So, I guess it would be a officers private purchase as casualty bags usually have a zipper all the way around so you can access any side.

craig_pickrall

If you read the description from the 1946 manual it says the outer bag is closed with snaps. The earlier manual says zipper.

If you read the description from the 1946 manual it says the outer bag is closed with snaps. The earlier manual says zipper.

Yes, but it also says that the snapped one is mummy shaped, so I think it is still out of the running.

Is there any sign of a spec tag on it anywhere? I have one very much like that which is designated "Bag, Sleeping, M-1941", and I think it has an outer "comforter" that goes with it. The other guys are right- the Arctic Bag is a mummy-bag with a head-to-waist closure fitted with snaps. I'll take a look at the '41 set when I get home.

What size is it? Looks like part of a M-35 Officers bed Roll. Had one with the outer roll, a quilted bag similar to this and the inflatable pad.

craig_pickrall

The pages from the 43 and 46 QM manual that I posted earlier shows the M1935 Bed Roll. In the 43 manual the inflatible pad is shown as a separate item but there is no quilted sleep gear. The 46 manual shows the inflatible pad as limited standard to be used until exhausted. There is no quilted sleep gear with that one either.

craig_pickrall

I've got one of them complete but it is going to take time to dig it out and take photos. I was hoping someone already had pics done. I can't work on it tomorrow but hopefully Tuesday. It has been years since I looked at it so I'm not sure what I have. I do know that stubby cross cover is included but I don't remember what the bags are like.

craig_pickrall
Thanks Craig, I have those pubs. Ever seen private purchase quilted bags added to M-35s?

I've got about 8 of the M1935 Bed Rolls and the only odd ball thing I have is one of them has a matress from a bunk sewn to the roll. I have one of them that is USN marked in OD7 but it is identical to the Army version otherwise. It is called the M1935 by the Navy too.

No worry, I have time. I have had the 42 mummy for sale on eBay for almost two months and the best offer I get is $40 shipped to some 10th Mountain museum overseas, so none of it is going anywhere soon. Thanks Craig,

Steve

craig_pickrall

This really hasn't much to do with this thread but I have a sleeping bag that I always thought was neat and you never see any info on it. It is a rectangular bag with a small roof over the head part. It is labeled as made by Eddie Bauer but has military markings. I don't recall if it is dated but I'm sure it is WW2 period. It is a military shade of OD somewhere between OD3 and OD7. When I was in the scouts in the early to mid 50's the NSA branded bag was just like it except it was tan and not EB marked.

Anyone ever recall seeing info on one like this?

craig_pickrall

Steve, there was a change in plans so hopefully I will get to work on your bag shortly. I wanted to check here to be sure no one had posted it overnight. I've got a nasty cold and don't really feel like lifting all the boxes in order to get to it but I will anyway. I just hope it is what we are looking for.

Haven't been fortunate to see any WW2 Arctic bags over the years. I have a 1944 Mountain sleeping bag with 1945 Cover, which is mummy type and warm as toast in temperate weather. When it's really cold I place the mountain bag inside a M1949- Arctic Bag. Used this at Bolsover Castle Living History weekend some years back when the temp dropped to about -20. When I emerged from the Pup Tent in the morning everything was white with frost. I did pity the poor Roman guys who only had sandals and no leg wrappings.

post-13573-1323123365.jpg

craig_pickrall

Steve, before photographing the Artic Bag bag I was re-reading the QM catalog to be sure I had the right stuff. I noticed something at the bottom of the 2nd page that might be your bag. It is a Kapoc Sleeping Bag that was being phased out as the catalog went to press. Is there any chance your bag has kapoc in it?

craig_pickrall

This Artic Bag does not lace together. The inner bag simply lays inside the outer bag. There is no water proof cover. I wonder if this is because they intended it to be used inside the Mountain Tent?

I inspected both bags closely and can see no sign where there was ever a label attached. These two bags are close to new condition and if there had been a tag I think I would be able to see it. The only markings I see is the big US stenciled onto both the inner and outer bag. The outer bag can be used like a comforter as it unzips down one side and across the foot. The inner bag only unzips half way.

The color and type of material used in this bag appears the same as that used for the M1949 bag. If you have one of those, then the colors should match. The cross shaped carrier is made from water repellent material much like oil cloth.

The bag as used together:

post-5-1323133081.jpg

post-5-1323133039.jpg