First Field Dresssing

collector

Dug out a couple of these, anybody know if these are part of a medical kit? Dated Dec. 1942 The little wrapper on the top holds a safety pin.

post-1414-1196811758.jpg

This is an Australian Field Dressing, you will notice it was made in Sidney. These were coming into this country by the boat load a few years ago, a lot of people were claiming they were made for US Troops but I think that was mostly Hype so they could sell them. If they were made more to US spec I might believe it but they are pretty much the standard British style First Aide Packet.

I guess this topic should be deleted, but before that happens, does anyone know what type of pouch the Australians used to carry these, and were they used by the British?

craig_pickrall

There has been discussion as to whether the USMC may have been supplied with these while in Australia. There have been pics of USN corpmen first aid kits with these dressings included and to my knowledge no one has proved this one way or the other at this time. We have info posted on these bandages in other threads so as far as I'm concerned it can stay here.

I'm have little knowledge on Commonwealth uniforms but I think they have a pocket sewn on the leg of the battle dress trousers to hold this dressing.

craig_pickrall

I can't point you to a pic of a corpsman with those dressings but I have seen them. I will try to recall where.

• 2 years later...
Only four years late, but in the book "Paramarines" a First Field Dressing is shown with the s-14 corpsmans pouch.

Pulled out the book and another type of Aussie dressing in included in a photo of a corpsman's bag "from the estate of a WWII Navy Doctor".