'41 defence of the Philippines - help, advise, members?

340MGBAT

My friend who is also on the forum under the name of Brokenshoveldude and I are in the very rough planning stages of a 1941 USAFFE/Defense of the Philippines living history display based in Sacramento. We hope to develop it to the point in which we can create a unit to do displays at parades and airshows.

This is our first attempt at reenacting or living history so if any of you guys have advice for beginners, it would be greatly appreciated. We are also wondering if there is any interest in helping to establish this.

You might want to start with a display table or two with contact info for people who might see what you're trying to do and offer up old gear at a later time. The northern Ca area is rich in military vets and families of members who served during that time. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Schucks, it depends on what you all have to display and where you'll be displaying at. If you're doing something indoors or in area tha won't let you set up an encampment, you're somewhat relegated to setting up a table display. The nice thing about those, though, is that you can make everything visible to see and label, and you're not restricted by strict authenticity standards that a period encampment or emplacement would require. Meaning, you can post photos, information, and even put on videos from a TV (provided you have power).

it's nice you're looking to focus on the Philippines. My relatives were civilians there when the Japanese came and left and I still have family there. So, I have a personal attachment to PI's role in the war.

Beyond any display, table or encampment, it doesn't matter if you and your fellows are not engaging to the public and aren't willing to speak to them about what you're portraying. My biggest pet peeve about some reenactors in the community is those that snub the public at public events. You don't have to be a great orator. You just need to smile and say Hi. It usually gets the ball rolling.

Aw man, I wish I still lived in SF. I'd join you guys!

I think it is an awesome idea.

I would also agree that doing table displays would a great place to start. Maybe have a "recruitment drive" and see if anyone would be interested. And, maybe create a USAFFE display with some pictures, insignia, etc. to attract attention. (It works! I did it last year at BAM.)

You could also start up a Facebook group and maybe make a YouTube video, explaining what the USAFFE did and what you're trying to do now.

As rr01 said, there are a lot of military vets and families, especially around the Bay Area. I'm very sure there will be people wanting to preserve that history and who would love to join or at least help out.

The Philippine Scouts Historical Society (PSHS) reunions would be a great place to start, too.

If you need a list of equipment that the USAFFE had, here is the best resource for that: Philippine Scout Gear (Bataan)

The Pinoy History Forum (PHF) is a great resource. You could also post there to see if anyone would be interested. There's lots of PSHS members who contribute to PHF. There's also a lot of reenactors, but many are Philippine-based. I'm sure they'd have tips for you as well.

I truly believe, and I know this from experience, that USAFFE representation is needed. And with that,

I'm excited for you guys and I wish you good luck!

I think that is a very cool idea! We used to have a local "Battling Bastards" reenactor group here, but it has fizzled out over the years. Bataan/Corregidor is a very overlooked area as far as reenacting goes, but I personally think it is so interesting, and a very important thing that needs to be remembered. The defense and fall of the Philippines is one of the most poignant aspects of the entire war, IMHO.

I agree, the Pinoy forum and the Philippine Scouts society are great places to start. The guys there are super friendly and have amazing impressions. I know in the past they've done camp-style displays at the Reading event, and there are some great ideas and photos from that. I am sure if you contact them, they will be happy to offer advice and suggestions.

The Philippines was like a 2nd home each time I was out in WestPac. Whenever we would jump into the drop zone at Clark AB a few minutes before exit we could look down from the rear ramp of the C~130 as we passed over Camp O'Donnell, the main American POW compund during the war just a few minutes before exit. Though it looked nothing as before we all knew what the place had been. The from from Manila to Angeles is easily travelled these days the local people still have a strong memory of ALL the horrors of the Japanese occupation.

Hey guys thanks for all the feedback!

my friend just ordered his uniform so we are a bit closer to becoming operational.

Merry Christmas and happy holidays everyone!!!