Help IDing an engraving style

gtpcamaroz

Hello, I was attempting to sell a PH&SS set in the for sale section and it was brought up about the time period and style of engraving as to which I don't have a solid answer. I was wondering if anyone could give me their opinions/insight as to what time period they think this might be. Also, a detail I failed to leave out in the listing was that the Purple Heart is rim numbered 154704, if that is of any help. Thanks for any help offered and here is the link to the thread:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...howtopic=127983

Hello, I was attempting to sell a PH&SS set in the for sale section and it was brought up about the time period and style of engraving as to which I don't have a solid answer. I was wondering if anyone could give me their opinions/insight as to what time period they think this might be. Also, a detail I failed to leave out in the listing was that the Purple Heart is rim numbered 154704, if that is of any help. Thanks for any help offered and here is the link to the thread:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...howtopic=127983

I'd say officially engraved ca. 1952-53, and as such a replacement set. The engraving is identical to the PH shown below, a 7th ID soldier KIA in Korea in October 1952:

post-126-1322937656.jpg

I'd say officially engraved ca. 1952-53, and as such a replacement set. The engraving is identical to the PH shown below, a 7th ID soldier KIA in Korea in October 1952:

Thank you very much for the help Tom. Also, quick question in regards to this being a replacement set, the PH is rim numbered. In your experience, have you seen a rim numbered heart used in the later years as a replacment medal? Thanks again for your help on this.

In your experience, have you seen a rim numbered heart used in the later years as a replacment medal?

Yep. I've seen a 6 digit numbered Silver Star issued as a replacement in 2000!

Think of a Purple Heart (or any other medal) as a supply item. After the Army stopped recording medal numbers in mid-1943, every PH was the same as every other. Nobody in the distribution chain really cared whether medals were numbered or not.