37th ID 145th IR KIA Manila 1945 PH, BS ect.

manayunkman

One of my weekend finds. This medal grouping and telegraph came from the family of 2nd Lt. Robert G. Markland. I'm assuming that the DI's are from the 145th ?? Both medals are hand engraved. Patch was not in with the medals but found it in a separate box. Don't know why there is an early collar disk for EM. Lt. Markland was born in 1916 in Pennsylvania, enlisted in August 1942. Killed February 10, 1945 during the Battle of Manila.

Any help in finding out any further info like how he was killed would be appreciated.

M

post-51189-1322864131.jpg

post-51189-1322864166.jpg

Wow! Congrats on a great find. I am glad the LT's medals have found a good home. The DUIs are from the 160th Infantry Regiment of the 40th Division. According to a quick look at Stanton's Order of Battle, the 160th landed in the Philippines 9 Jan, 1945.

Thats' a really, really nice group.

Dennis

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Incredible grouping !!

I have a number of groupings with the original telegram notifying loved ones of their loss...it always moves me every time I see one.

This one piece of paper permamently altered the lives of so many...forever.

Thanks for showing.

Vic

Wow! Congrats on a great find. I am glad the LT's medals have found a good home. The DUIs are from the 160th Infantry Regiment of the 40th Division. According to a quick look at Stanton's Order of Battle, the 160th landed in the Philippines 9 Jan, 1945.

Thats' a really, really nice group.

Dennis

Thank you for the ID Dennis. Can anyone find out if Markland was in the 40th ??

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you for the ID Dennis. Can anyone find out if Markland was in the 40th ??

Can anyone ID Markland to this unit ?

• 3 weeks later...
carbinephalen

Hmmm....

Not sure about some of the comments on this one but I'll be the first to say I'm glad these items survived history so the memory of this vet who paid the ultimate sacrifice could be remembered 65+ years later.

May he RIP

:salute:

Hmmm....

Not sure about some of the comments on this one but I'll be the first to say I'm glad these items survived history so the memory of this vet who paid the ultimate sacrifice could be remembered 65+ years later.

May he RIP

:salute:

Please expound

carbinephalen

Oh, absolutely nothing against you on this one. Your topic and information provided in your initial post was very informative, straight to the point, and tactful. I think sometimes though, we forget that these items are attributed to individuals who lost their lives for you and I. KIA purple hearts should not be items that our "drooled" over IMHO. Truly nothing personal against any of the individual's that posted comments previous to mine, it's my belief though that these items are at an entirely different level than say a "sweet" haversack or an "amazing" M1C helmet.

Just my .02, I'm glad that your are helping preserve history for generations to come and keeping the memory of this KIA veteran alive for just as long. :thumbsup:

Oh, absolutely nothing against you on this one. Your topic and information provided in your initial post was very informative, straight to the point, and tactful. I think sometimes though, we forget that these items are attributed to individuals who lost their lives for you and I. KIA purple hearts should not be items that our "drooled" over IMHO. Truly nothing personal against any of the individual's that posted comments previous to mine, it's my belief though that these items are at an entirely different level than say a "sweet" haversack or an "amazing" M1C helmet.

Just my .02, I'm glad that your are helping preserve history for generations to come and keeping the memory of this KIA veteran alive for just as long. :thumbsup:

I understand your point fully. I sometimes think that it is crazy that we can even collect such a thing.

I understand your point fully. I sometimes think that it is crazy that we can even collect such a thing.

Well I see it a bit diffrent sure we should not gloat over them ! But if not for the collector how many of these brave men would be forgotten ? Or these mens Valor trashed by unknowing or uncaring family or clean out people ! I collect and research them to honor their memory I know the cost of freedom from 2 great uncles lost in WW II to my Fathers ww II Korean service (combat wounded with 5th RCT) to a great family Friend KIA Vietnam What better way to honor them ALL ??!!! If a rare M1 helmet or a uniform piece belonged to a KIA would you not buy it ??? I bet you would !!!! Just my .02 !

carbinephalen

Precisely my point. They should be honored and remembered with the utmost respect and dignity as you stated. However saying that, I do not believe these medals should be spoken of like they are a rare vintage action figure or an obscure music record that surfaces out of the woodwork. "Drooling" over a medal that a veteran's family received by losing their loved one is very distasteful IMHO. These are not simply just things to collect and they should have a much deeper symbolism to militaria collectors than stamps or old coins.

Also, I do have 76th Division KIA purple heart groupings and medals by the way in my possession...so I am not "knocking" KIA heart collectors by any means, just stating what my thoughts are on this topic. If you feel the same as I do about this topic excellent....if not, then I hope the best for you all in your heart "collecting"

Precisely my point. They should be honored and remembered with the utmost respect and dignity as you stated. However saying that, I do not believe these medals should spoken of like they are a rare vintage action figure or an obscure music record that surfaces out of the woodwork. "Drooling" over a medal that a veteran's family received by losing their loved one is very distasteful IMHO. These are not simply just things to collect and they should have a much deeper symbolism to militaria collectors than stamps or old coins.

Also, I do have 76th Division KIA purple heart groupings and medals by the way in my possession...so I am not "knocking" KIA heart collectors by any means, just stating what my thoughts are on this topic. If you feel the same as I do about this topic excellent....if not, then I hope the best for you all in your heart "collecting"

A fine point ! I always try to see the big picture with this stuff ! I hope i honor all the Vets whos hearts I have collected ! We as collectors sometimes forget the true meaning off the items we obtain ! I do sometimes get excited over the find !! But i think as a collector it is normal ? Happy collecting !

The bottom line is that these medals have monetary value. It is the value or rarity that gets tongues drooling. Somewhere there needs to be a balance between the two. If they were free then there is nothing but honor. But if you have to pay for it or they are collectible or one medal is rarer than the other or one cost more or it is bought as an investment then the whole thing takes on a different feel. There is no changing that the value is there and will be until something changes. So what is the balance between the coveted collectible and the honor due those who who died for us ?