Unknown (dog)tag

seabee

Hi guys,

I have a red (dog)tag. I don't know where it is used for, and the period it was used. Maybe one of you know what it is.

Thanks,

Aad

img22282kd.jpg

Hi guys,

I have a red (dog)tag. I don't know where it is used for, and the period it was used. Maybe one of you know what it is.

Thanks,

Well itl is not new because the address does not have a ZIP CODE (US postal code) and Zip Codes have been used since the late 1960's.

I believe that red dog tags indicated a medical alert (such as an allergy to common battlefield drugs). The number at the top right of the tag may be the code for the medical condition.

I don't think it's a dog tag.

It looks like a plate for an addressograph machine. Addressograph plates were imprinted using a mchine similar for making dogtags. They were then placed into a machine that impressed or embossed the raised letters & numbers into a form that had carbon paper in it, or a carbonless form. This allowed the entry of the exact same data onto numerous forms & records.

Since this plate says Army on it, I would suspect it was used at a Vetran's Administrtion facility, possibly a hospital.

The little bulge at the bottom would be to ensure that it was placed in the embosser/imprinter correctly.

Steve

• 13 years later...

Back in the 70s and 80s, red doglegs were issued in addition to the normal ones-- They were, as someone else said, used for medical alerts (maybe other things as well, but I never saw other uses..  The majority of them I saw in my clinic were for Penicillin Allergy.